Remember the Alamo

4,104 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Thaddeus73
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
March 6, 1836. Over 180 brave Tejano and Texians gave their life for the cause of freedom at the hands of the tyrant Santa Anna.

185 years later, Texas still stands and Santa Anna lies in the cold ground.

Remember the Alamo

Texas Forever

Ag87H2O
AG
Cassius
185 years later, Mexico takes the entire US without firing a shot.
jrdaustin
AG
Cassius said:

Oh, for a laugh/cry emoji right now...
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
titan
S
Cassius said:

Given the quality of "D.C. leadership" --- its an open question if Santa Anna could govern it worse.

Ah., but the 13 Days of Glory ---- Yes, remember the Alamo! A true epic in national histories, not just American. Its right up there with Thermopylae.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
rocky the dog
AG
Happy to see you back, Titan.
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Ag87H2O
AG
Commandancy of the The Alamo
Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World
Fellow Citizens & compatriots

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country

Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.
Lt. Col. comdt.

This is a picture of courage not often seen in the course of history, and one of the reasons I am so proud to be a Texan. God bless the memory of these extraordinarily brave men.

titan
S
Ag87H2O said:

Commandancy of the The Alamo
Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World
Fellow Citizens & compatriots

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country
Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.
Lt. Col. comdt.

This is a picture of courage not often seen in all of history, and one of the reasons I am so proud to be a Texan. God bless the memory of these brave men.

Yes. Another example of how it ranks among the great national stands--- the elements of brave rebuttal are akin to "Nuts" at Bastogne.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
BigOil
AG
Cassius said:

Drama much?
titan
S
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

That's it exactly. Always gave goose bumps hearing that growing up.

That is exactly the kind of spirit today's reporter and education board member is betraying routinely almost every day with this quasi-Maoist and CRT agenda crap.

And the other thing that is so impressive about that event is today's over-weening emphasis on mere survival at any cost rather than making a stand is so absent.
FrioAg 00:
itsyourboypookie
Wonder what Lt Col Travis would think of his namesake county
titan
S

Biden-Pelosi-CNN's D.C. is not America. Its a Euro-knock off at best. Soviet-lite at worst.

The Alamo is a microcosm of the American spirit, and yes, the combinations of peoples from all creeds and colors standing for liberty. It was present that day, as it is not in the new tyranny growing on the Beltway. If you want to understand the spirit that built so much, reading of that can give you a short-hand version of what American history was up to last century.

FrioAg 00:
Cassius
Those guys had more courage in their big toe than I have in my whole body.
Cassius
itsyourboypookie said:

Wonder what Lt Col Travis would think of his namesake county
Pro Sandy
AG
My favorite is Remember the Alamo. Kingston Trio and Donovan both recorded it, but I like Johnny Cash's voice better.

Hey Santa Anna, we're killing your soldiers below, so men wherever they go, will remember the Alamo.
747Ag
AG
Ragoo
AG
Travis was only 26. I cannot imagine the culmination of a life leading to that moment in time at that ripe age. Men matured much faster and stronger than today that is for damn sure. See that shortcoming in myself.
Texarkanaag69
AG
......and remember Goliad.
Allen76
AG
Santa Anna must have been a heckuva politician though.

He cut a deal to go free if he ordered the Mexican army out of the Texas area. (or something like that).

He also was the leader of Mexico eleven different times as he gained and lost control over and over again.

He died in Mexico City at 82 years old, and a very poor person.
titan
S
rocky the dog said:

Happy to see you back, Titan.
rocky,

I took Urban Ag's epic post to heart, and still are. Dialing down time very greatly. Avoiding all but the barest of news segments and it is still so vexing as to make volcanically mad. The disgrace being forced on the military especially makes days like this worth remembering.
FrioAg 00:
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
God bless the defenders of the Alamo and God bless Texas.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
titan
S
Allen76 said:

Santa Anna must have been a heckuva politician though.

He cut a deal to go free if he ordered the Mexican army out of the Texas area. (or something like that).

He also was the leader of Mexico eleven different times as he gained and lost control over and over again.

He died in Mexico City at 82 years old, and a very poor person.
Santa Anna is a fascinating figure for sure. Only a few works in English on him. Its very hard to characterize him --- if its possible to imagine a grifter that also somehow acquired a genuine ambition for his country, while never losing the grifter, and throw in a bit of Don Corleone, but a strong sense of self-preservation first, a bit of Baltar (Battlestar) or Dr. Smith for those that can relate, and you sort of have him. Maybe a dash of Marcos of the Philippines too.

A comparison if I think about it might very well be Mussolini. However, even though this will sound strange, I think he might have been a more despotic or meaner man than Mussolini. But he is probably the closest modern example mid-age might relate to.

FrioAg 00:
Rongagin71
AG
If what I read a few decades ago was correct, Santa Ana first showed up in San Antonio as part of the Spanish army, and was a Lieutenant in charge of punishing the rebels. He later switched sides.
beerad12man
AG
185 men stared certain death in the face for their freedoms

Now look at how far we've come
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Ragoo said:

Travis was only 26. I cannot imagine the culmination of a life leading to that moment in time at that ripe age. Men matured much faster and stronger than today that is for damn sure. See that shortcoming in myself.
Damn straight.

These days a 26 year old can still be on his parents' health insurance.
Burrus86
AG
I wonder if they would have made the decision to fight and die if they had foresight of the world today? Disregarding technology, of course. I know it's not possible, but I often wonder what our forefathers would think of today's world. I bet it would not be how they envisioned the future.
Ragoo
AG
Burrus86 said:

I wonder if they would have made the decision to fight and die if they had foresight of the world today? Disregarding technology, of course. I know it's not possible, but I often wonder what our forefathers would think of today's world. I bet it would not be how they envisioned the future.
of course they would have
titan
S
Burrus86 said:

That might be better applied to all those who fought the Cold War (the true WW III) to keep Marxism from displacing freedom throughout the world as well as here.
FrioAg 00:
Cassius
Burrus86 said:

Yes, but would have said No to annexation.
BCR
185 years later Texans are fleeing to Mexico for running water and electricity.
Tom Doniphon
Those men were absolute heroes, the likes of which are seldom seen. God bless them and God bless Texas.
AggDogg61
Long Live Texas
Thaddeus73
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.