Democrats Covid Aid bill to end tipped minimum wage?

4,495 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oak Tree
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is Mr Beast gonna do now?

Quote:

The American restaurant industry continues to hemorrhage money as local governments around the U.S. restrict indoor dining options in order to keep COVID-19 cases at bay. With other parts of the economy still lagging and many Americans still unemployed, Congressional Democrats want to pass another large COVID-19 relief package.

Except this time, Democrats want to provide that relief by doubling the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15 an hour. As part of that effort, Democrats also want to completely eliminate the tipped minimum wagea lower hourly rate paid to certain workers in the hospitality industry. The federal tipped minimum wage is currently $2.13 an hour and many workers who receive it make up the difference (and then some) with tips from customers. The COVID-19 relief bill could raise that amount to $15 an hour.

As I wrote last month, the Democrats' latest spending effort would likely require many of the bill's intended recipients to seek relief from the relief. Though some employees may see a bump in pay, others would lose their jobs entirely. In a recent report, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour would lift 900,000 people out of poverty while pushing 1.4 million people out of work.

That effect would arguably be even more pronounced in the restaurant industry, which would see labor costs increase up to 700 percent, as opposed to the mere 200 percent faced by businesses whose employees already make $7.25 an hour. (If tipped-wage workers are not able to pull in the equivalent of the full federal minimum wage, employers are already required by law to make up the difference.)

rgag12
AG
Goodbye wait service, hello kiosk fast-casual dining
ttu_85
Demrats just need to get out of things they dont understand. Such as business. They are toxic to everything they touch.
Ol Army 01
AG
ttu_85 said:

Demrats just need to get out of things the dont understand. Such as business.
They are smarter than you and know this industry better; it doesn't matter that most of them have never actually held a real job or worked in the service industry.
It’s not about left or right; it’s about Right or Wrong.
Pookers
AG
Ol Army 01 said:

ttu_85 said:

They are smarter than you and know this industry better; it doesn't matter that most of them have never actually held a real job or worked in the service industry.
No, they know exactly what they are doing. Their goal is to crash the economy so they can move us into the globalist paradise phase of existence.
PneumAg
That would utterly destroy restaurants and bars everywhere.

Just what the fascist Dems want.
Magic City Wings
$15 an hour is tip on four $20 tables an hour. The bill is dumb as it should just make restaurants compensate if they don't hit the minimum wage.
DallasAg 94
Tea Party
Magic City Wings said:

$15 an hour is tip on four $20 tables an hour. The bill is dumb as it should just make restaurants compensate if they don't hit the minimum wage.

Who are you and what did you do with Lot Y's sock.
Learn about the Texas Nationalist Movement
https://tnm.me
Ol Army 01
AG
Pookers said:

Ol Army 01 said:

ttu_85 said:

No, they know exactly what they are doing. Their goal is to crash the economy so they can move us into the globalist paradise phase of existence.
Ah Pookers it's okay in 9 years you will not own anything, but you will be happy.

Santa Klaus Schwab
It’s not about left or right; it’s about Right or Wrong.
texsn95
AG
Tea Party said:

Magic City Wings said:

Who are you and what did you do with Lot Y's sock.
Troll trying to fit in and avoid the perm-ban hammer again.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Magic City Wings said:

No reason for servers to lie about tips collected at all...
Take the trash out staff.
Philip J Fry
AG
Magic City Wings said:

Why? They just need to sell 2 more fried cheese sticks plates an hour.
10thYrSr
Magic City Wings said:

The restaurants already pay minimum wage if it isn't made up by tips. Nobody ever makes just 2.13 an hour.
javajaws
AG
rgag12 said:

Goodbye wait service, hello kiosk fast-casual dining
The only restaurants that survive will be high efficiency drive thru, kiosk based fast-casual, and luxury high-end dining. Basically, all of your sit down waiter served establishments where you can get out for less than $50/person will be gone.
Tanya 93
I miss Bennigan's.speaking of casual sit down restaurants

I know it was not great food, but it was consistent

That turkey o'toole rocked
DallasAg 94
rgag12
AG
Magic City Wings said:

NM
Fightin_Aggie
AG
ttu_85 said:

Demrats just need to get out of things they dont understand. Such as business. They are toxic to everything they touch.
The leaders understand this and are pushing this agenda to destroy the US and small business for their own profit.

The rest are just useful idiots having their passion used and don't see the end goal
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
16Ag18
AG
No more tipping anymore
lb3
AG
If it passes, I'm never tipping again.
rgag12
AG
lb3 said:

If it passes, I'm never tipping again.

I think they'll take it out. The full article even mentions several moderate Dems who are outright opposed to this measure.
Science Denier
AG
ttu_85 said:

Democrats understand business just fine. Since their goal is to destroy small businesses, truely are going about it the perfect way.
BudFox7
The end of tipping is welcome, especially if they hike min wage.
Diggity
AG
Monte Cristo and Death By Chocolate for the win.

I feel like Cheddar's has attempted to fill that gap.
Tanya 93
Diggity said:

Monte Cristo and Death By Chocolate for the win.

I feel like Cheddar's has attempted to fill that gap.
I haven't been to one since we left Texas.
Diggity
AG
it was similar for me back in the 90's but I have to think cash payments are WAY down these days compared to when we were schlepping. Probably doesn't move the needle much anymore.
Diggity
AG
I haven't been since college, but I remember them raiding some of Bennigan's more popular dishes.
Thunder18
AG
The Turkey O' Toole and Monte Cristo
FTAggies
In a sadistic way, people need to suffer to keep reminding all of us that democrat economic policies are idiotic, like the keystone pipeline. It's just unfortunate that it has to be this way.

People forgot too quickly how sluggish the Obama economy was and millions( irrespective of voter fraud) still voted in those same idiots behind Obama's economy.
Gig'em
Jock92
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Looks like they have somehow come back from the dead with locations in new exotic places like Borger, TX

https://bennigans.com/locations/

Monte Cristo sandwich was my hangover goto, btw.
tysker
AG
I think every person needs at one time needs to work in a retail/department store, fast food/restaurant or a grocery store so they can learn how to deal with the large amount of self-righteous, self-absorbed ****heads and stupid mother ****ers from all walks of life while still being pleasant, flashing a smile and acknowledging the customer. Not nearly enough people know how much **** employees in customer-facing jobs take day-to-day. I hope it would enlighten people to be nicer to one another and for customers to be aware of the difficulties (and associated wages) of the services they are being provided.
Prexys Moon
AG
tysker said:

I think every person needs at one time needs to work in a retail/department store, fast food/restaurant or a grocery store so they can learn how to deal with the large amount of self-righteous, self-absorbed ****heads and stupid mother ****ers from all walks of life while still being pleasant, flashing a smile and acknowledging the customer. Not nearly enough people know how much **** employees in customer-facing jobs take day-to-day. I hope it would enlighten people to be nicer to one another and for customers to be aware of the difficulties (and associated wages) of the services they are being provided.

I'm in healthcare and it's the very same thing. Been doing it 25 years and so many days are just a complete beating. There are so many idiots in the world who know everything and whine and ***** and blame everybody for everything.
Tanya 93
Jock92 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Looks like they have somehow come back from the dead with locations in new exotic places like Borger, TX

https://bennigans.com/locations/

Monte Cristo sandwich was my hangover goto, btw.
Well, maybe when we camp this summer I can insist on camping in Iowa and get a Turkey O'Toole and those egg roll appetizers as we leave the state
aggie813
This is such a horrible idea. Currently, a servers wage is based on the premise that the more customers that they turn out in a shift the more money they make as well as the restaurant.

Now you're gonna have a server that doesn't give a crap if a customer sits in that booth for 2.5 hrs or not. They will get paid regardless, and the owner of the restaurant suffers.

Which, that will then lead to the restaurant closing and the server out of a job.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.