Train and 18-wheeler collided near Cameron

4,806 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiehawg
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

schmellba99 said:

Aggie1944s Kid said:

I'm a traffic controller for a RR. One area of a territory I work is 10 MPH for the entire section (over 90 miles). Had a crossing accident once years ago. Woman in a car was not hit by the train, rather she hit the train. She literally ran into the side of the train and it wasn't as if she was trying to beat the train. She hit the side of it about 40 cars deep. Very odd.
This was one of the more common types of vehicle/train accidents for a long time if memory serves - especially at intersections that didn't have drop gates and flashing lights. One reason why you see the mandate that all train cars have reflective tape on them towards the bottom now - so that theoretically at unprotected intersections, your lights will bounce off that tape and you'll be better able to tell there is a train.
Put that right up there with warning labels on dry cleaning bags, warning for toddlers to not play with buckets and abandoned refrigerators, and making sure Tide Pods have a warning on them not to eat.

We are such an utter failure as a self accountability society now.
Normally I would agree with you, but a rural crossing at night with black painted train cars and the locomotive being a half mile down the tracks where you don't hear it anymore.....I've almost ran into a crossing train myself. You may think it is easy to see them, but it is harder than you realize or will be willing to admit.

Reflective tape is cheap and easy to install and does wonders, I have absolutely no issue with it.
TOM-M
Aggie1944s Kid said:

I can't remember if this is a protected xing with signals and arms or just cross bucks. I'd have to look next time I'm in. Just the timing of it was so weird. At that time I only ran about 1 train over that territory a day. The odds that she met it at the time it was at that xing was strange.
Last name Sims the conductor or engineer when that Darwin award got passed out?
BanderaAg956
Old Buffalo said:

Listen, I'm all for bashing Biden and AOC...

...but maybe don't crash an 18 wheeler into a train?

Maybe we will decide not to have airplane crashes, car crashes, over doses, health issues ... just don't do those things ... is that how it is done geniius?
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
TexasRebel
AG
Aggie1944s Kid said:

I'm a traffic controller for a RR. One area of a territory I work is 10 MPH for the entire section (over 90 miles). Had a crossing accident once years ago. Woman in a car was not hit by the train, rather she hit the train. She literally ran into the side of the train and it wasn't as if she was trying to beat the train. She hit the side of it about 40 cars deep. Very odd.

I think that was my grandmother's optometrist.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
lol...or mine
mullokmotx
AG
News story said it was on FM 2095 so I looked on Google Earth street views and if it is the correct crossing it has arms and lights.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
If the xing had arms and lights that were functional then that's on the driver.
Secolobo
AG
I think all libs with sewer lines should be required to haul their **** to the treatment plant. Sewer pipes can leak and are dangerous.
Pantera
AG
So I actually grew up down the road and went over this crossing daily to get to school. I also know the family whose home burned down, they are all safe but lost everything.

The crossing has had lights and arms for ever and is on a very visible stretch of road. There was actually a derailment a few years back that was a HAZMAT deal right down the tracks. The railway is on a hill right at this area so the cars never stop here, usually down towards Milano or closer to Cameron.

Weird!
Trucker 96
18 wheeeeeeeler! Roll on!
Ragoo
AG
Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Point is there's no opportunity to crash a pipeline. There's a lot of opportunities to crash a truck or train.
there are also many opportunities for pipelines to leak.

And I am not against pipelines

But how many trains travel every day? And how many crashes do you hear about?
how many miles of pipe carrying natural gas is underground?

This is a losing ratio.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Point is there's no opportunity to crash a pipeline. There's a lot of opportunities to crash a truck or train.

Tanya, pipeline companies spend millions on each pipeline to prevent leaks.

This includes cathodic protection, inspections, pigging, painting and monitoring.

Pipeline companies are responsible for cleaning up and fixing any damage due to a leak and don't want to be losing product either.

Also if you look at %volume leaked from a pipeline vs a truck vs rail vs pipeline the pipeline will be orders of magnitude lower.

The above picture is a giant leak from a rail car that could not happen from a pipeline.
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
leachfan
It's not uncommon for semis to high-center and get stuck on railroad trucks. I read it was a flat-bed. If it was a low-boy or drop-deck, could have happened. It happened to me once with an empty cattle trailer. Luckily, a farmer pulled me off before a train came.
Direct Enter Enter
Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

According to Operation Lifesaver, there were 2,216 vehicle-train accidents in 2019.

That works out to just over 6 per day.
TRADUCTOR
I prefer laying pipe.
IndividualFreedom
Quote:

How many leaks do you hear about?
aggiehawg
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Tanya, pipeline companies spend millions on each pipeline to prevent leaks.

This includes cathodic protection, inspections, pigging, painting and monitoring.

Pipeline companies are responsible for cleaning up and fixing any damage due to a leak and don't want to be losing product either.

Also if you look at %volume leaked from a pipeline vs a truck vs rail vs pipeline the pipeline will be orders of magnitude lower.

The above picture is a giant leak from a rail car that could not happen from a pipeline.
Agree fully with Fightin. My Dad was a district manager at one point in his career. He was the first person who was called on any problems within the 5000 miles of pipeline under his supervision. That job was 24/7. If it were too far to drive, he'd take a single engine plane to the site, many times just to oversee that routine maintenance was being performed properly. He traveled a lot.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.