Train and 18-wheeler collided near Cameron

4,802 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiehawg
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.tdtnews.com/news/central_texas_news/article_516cc282-75db-11eb-a5be-cb01799c67da.html

Quote:

An 18-wheeler and a train collided Tuesday morning near Cameron. No major injuries where reported, according to Milam County Sheriff Chris White.
I'm so relieved that Biden and AOC prefer to transport petroleum via rail instead of that dirty pipeline. Dems are the dumbest creatures on the planet.
Pookers
AG
Prognightmare said:

https://www.tdtnews.com/news/central_texas_news/article_516cc282-75db-11eb-a5be-cb01799c67da.html

Quote:

An 18-wheeler and a train collided Tuesday morning near Cameron. No major injuries where reported, according to Milam County Sheriff Chris White.
I'm so relieved that Biden and AOC prefer to transport petroleum via rail instead of that dirty pipeline. Dems are the dumbest creatures on the planet.
Quit your *****ing; this looks like perfectly clean and breathable air.
Old Buffalo
AG
Listen, I'm all for bashing Biden and AOC...

...but maybe don't crash an 18 wheeler into a train?
Ag87H2O
AG
Old Buffalo said:

That's kind of the point. Accidents like this wouldn't happen if the petroleum was being transported via pipeline.
MouthBQ98
AG
Point is there's no opportunity to crash a pipeline. There's a lot of opportunities to crash a truck or train.
agsfan
I'm in favor of pipelines, but let's not pretend like they don't have explosions that cause massive amounts of damage.
Tanya 93
MouthBQ98 said:

Point is there's no opportunity to crash a pipeline. There's a lot of opportunities to crash a truck or train.
there are also many opportunities for pipelines to leak.

And I am not against pipelines

But how many trains travel every day? And how many crashes do you hear about?
HumpitPuryear
AG
transporting petroleum via pipeline is safer, more reliable, cheaper, and WAY better environmentally than truck or rail. It's not even close.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yes, but trucks and trains leak also, and considering the numerous times cargo is filled and emptied, filled and emptied, there are tens of thousands of little leaks every day.

Simply due to the amount of human error possible, it's easily much more dangerous and more polluting to use surface transport. The data is very clear on this. You might have one big pipeline failure now and then but it is containable to one small area that can be cleaned up and most often it is in the middle of nowhere.
Pipelines are safer and more efficient for transporting liquids and gases from source to fixed processing or distribution sites.
Robert C. Christian
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Why are you putting out challenges for idiots?
Fightin_Aggie
AG
agsfan said:

I'm in favor of pipelines, but let's not pretend like they don't have explosions that cause massive amounts of damage.

Which one is safer and less likely to hit a truck?

I can think of one maybe two major pipeline explosion in my lifetime.
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
fixer
Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

There are technical methods, used for decades, to check for leaks preventively.

There is also the probability argument that also highly favors pipelines. Putting more rail traffic in motion doesn't help assuage the likelihood or consequence of a major incident on rails.
aggiehawg
AG
I was under the impression that all tanker trucks have to stop before crossing RR tracks in Texas. Is that no longer the law?
Anonymous Source
S
Gig 'Em
ABATTBQ11
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Yes, but trucks and trains leak also, and considering the numerous times cargo is filled and emptied, filled and emptied, there are tens of thousands of little leaks every day.

Simply due to the amount of human error possible, it's easily much more dangerous and more polluting to use surface transport. The data is very clear on this. You might have one big pipeline failure now and then but it is containable to one small area that can be cleaned up and most often it is in the middle of nowhere.
Pipelines are safer and more efficient for transporting liquids and gases from source to fixed processing or distribution sites.

This.

It's a game of probability. You will always lose, so you need to pick the option with the lowest probability of loss to minimize total loss over the long run.

Pipelines are simply safer and more efficient ways to transport liquids and gasses. There's a reason we have water and gas lines in cities instead of everyone filling up buckets and bottles or tanks to bring home.
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Pookers said:

Prognightmare said:

Quote:

Quit your *****ing; this looks like perfectly clean and breathable air.
Good point. Plus we're wearing masks so its all good.
W
AG
good thing it wasn't one of the railroad crossings in town on 77
WHOOP!'91
AG
Old Buffalo said:

Now apply this to transporting nuclear waste to Yucca Mountain. Libs don't want to do that, either, in case there's a train accident.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

Rapier108
The Milam County sheriff is currently addressing the media.

The truck had a flatbed trailer. They don't think it was carrying anything, but not certain.

~11 cars off the tracks; carrying gasoline, coal, and other cargo, but not hazmat. This is what caught fire.

The tank car just 1 behind the derailment was carrying phosphoric acid. BNSF has already moved all of the other cars away from the fire.

They're now waiting on heavy firefighting crews from BNSF coming from Houston and Dallas as they have the equipment and foam to put it out.

One house near the tracks apparently has burned down. There are no injuries reported at this time.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108
WHOOP!'91 said:

Old Buffalo said:

Now apply this to transporting nuclear waste to Yucca Mountain. Libs don't want to do that, either, in case there's a train accident.
Which is stupid because those nuclear flasks they use are virtually indestructible.

And we can thank Harry Reid and Obama for killing off Yucca Mountain.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TxTarpon
#$^%#@$%@#$ we need that coal for power!!!
Now my utility bill will be $10,000
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
snowdog90
aggiehawg said:

I was under the impression that all tanker trucks have to stop before crossing RR tracks in Texas. Is that no longer the law?

Tankers must stop at RR crossings. As a trucker, non-tanker, we don't have to stop. We are taught to slow down and roll down our windows as we approach tracks. I'm not sure if this was a tanker truck involved in the collision. RR tracks are one of my biggest fears out here. Hard to survive getting hit by a train.
joho
Anonymous Source said:

That looks mighty warm & toasty... would've been perhaps less tragic if it happened last week.
EskimoJoe
Old Buffalo said:

its just a matter of time until a truck crashes into an underground pipeline.
aggiehawg
AG
snowdog90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Tankers must stop at RR crossings. As a trucker, non-tanker, we don't have to stop. We are taught to slow down and roll down our windows as we approach tracks. I'm not sure if this was a tanker truck involved in the collision. RR tracks are one of my biggest fears out here. Hard to survive getting hit by a train.
Thanks for the response. I was under the false impression at first that the 18 wheeler was the source for the petroleum fire, not the train.
normaleagle05
AG
That's one mostly not hazardous orange mushroom cloud of fire.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Many opportunities yes, but actual leaks that cause extensive damage? No

Do the same for travelling in your car, on a plane, walking in downtown. Pipelines are operating 24/7 also with untold miles with very, very infrequent incidents considering the operation time and delivery load.
Ag87H2O
AG
Anonymous Source said:

What an awesome pic. That's one big stinking fireball.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
I'm a traffic controller for a RR. One area of a territory I work is 10 MPH for the entire section (over 90 miles). Had a crossing accident once years ago. Woman in a car was not hit by the train, rather she hit the train. She literally ran into the side of the train and it wasn't as if she was trying to beat the train. She hit the side of it about 40 cars deep. Very odd.
30wedge
Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Opportunities for trucks to leak, opportunities for trains to leak as well. In addition to the opportunities for trucks to be in accidents and for trains to be in accidents.

The question isn't the number of trains, but barrels (or other measurement) of product moved by pipeline, truck, and train and the accidents based on that.

Have lived around pipelines all my life, 23 behind one tract of land. So far, no leaks, no explosions. I cannot image rail cars or trucks passing in front of that property carrying the same volume of product.
schmellba99
AG
Tanya 93 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

How many millions of gallons travel through pipelines without leaks?

And trains burn fuel to pull the cars full of petroleum. Filling stations leak. More opportunity for accidents to happen with trains than pipelines, by orders of magnitude.
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
Aggie1944s Kid said:

I'm a traffic controller for a RR. One area of a territory I work is 10 MPH for the entire section (over 90 miles). Had a crossing accident once years ago. Woman in a car was not hit by the train, rather she hit the train. She literally ran into the side of the train and it wasn't as if she was trying to beat the train. She hit the side of it about 40 cars deep. Very odd.
This was one of the more common types of vehicle/train accidents for a long time if memory serves - especially at intersections that didn't have drop gates and flashing lights. One reason why you see the mandate that all train cars have reflective tape on them towards the bottom now - so that theoretically at unprotected intersections, your lights will bounce off that tape and you'll be better able to tell there is a train.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
schmellba99 said:

Aggie1944s Kid said:

This was one of the more common types of vehicle/train accidents for a long time if memory serves - especially at intersections that didn't have drop gates and flashing lights. One reason why you see the mandate that all train cars have reflective tape on them towards the bottom now - so that theoretically at unprotected intersections, your lights will bounce off that tape and you'll be better able to tell there is a train.
Put that right up there with warning labels on dry cleaning bags, warning for toddlers to not play with buckets and abandoned refrigerators, and making sure Tide Pods have a warning on them not to eat.

We are such an utter failure as a self accountability society now.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
I can't remember if this is a protected xing with signals and arms or just cross bucks. I'd have to look next time I'm in. Just the timing of it was so weird. At that time I only ran about 1 train over that territory a day. The odds that she met it at the time it was at that xing was strange.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.