Are people getting hammered by electric bills?

9,983 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Zobel
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am seeing the stories come out from people getting $1,000 plus electric bills because of Snowpocalypse. Have any of you gotten those outrageous bills? Mine is on a coop and was only $65 for the entire month, including the snow days.
aggietony2010
AG
Only if you had a variable rate plan or griddy.
Martin Q. Blank
They are referring to people who were on plans based on the spot price of electricity. Which shot up like 10x normal.
annie88
AG
BTU sent this message:

BTU has been asked by several customers whether their utility bills will spike, as has been reported in the state and national media. There will be no increase in fees or rates for BTU customers. BTU is a municipal utility owned by the City of Bryan, and rates are set by City rate ordinances. Rates can only change if the City Council changes the electric rate ordinance.

No BTU customer's rates will increase during this unprecedented weather event. However, customer usage will likely be much higher than normal due to nearly two weeks of extreme cold weather we have experienced, which may result in higher than normal bills this billing period.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
rgag12
AG
I remember when blowing wind used to be free
Schrute Farms
No. Normal mechanisms have occurred in order to address the energy price issues.

People on social media post anger about these mechanisms without knowing how they work.

Now we have media groups sharing the anger posts as facts all while state leaders keep sharing that consumers won't be exploited.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
People who took the cheap way out with a variable rate to start are now whining when their luck runs out.

They should have to pay.
Tom Doniphon
The electric bill BS is as silly as folks raising hell about a week long cold spell.
rgag12
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

People who took the cheap way out with a variable rate to start are now whining when their luck runs out.

They should have to pay.

Yea those suckers that have to use the only energy company in town, and have that energy company pass on the 16,000% spike in natural gas to them deserve everything that's coming to them!
Rex Racer
AG
annie88 said:

BTU sent this message:

BTU has been asked by several customers whether their utility bills will spike, as has been reported in the state and national media. There will be no increase in fees or rates for BTU customers. BTU is a municipal utility owned by the City of Bryan, and rates are set by City rate ordinances. Rates can only change if the City Council changes the electric rate ordinance.

No BTU customer's rates will increase during this unprecedented weather event. However, customer usage will likely be much higher than normal due to nearly two weeks of extreme cold weather we have experienced, which may result in higher than normal bills this billing period.
I like that last part. My response would be, "except we had no power, so therefore we could not be using more electricity."
Ol_Ag_02
AG
rgag12 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Yea those suckers that have to use the only energy company in town, and have that energy company pass on the 16,000% spike in natural gas to them deserve everything that's coming to them!

Be a responsible adult. No one forced you to get a variable rate plan to start with. You did it to save a few bucks with the hope the rates stayed low. You gambled and lost. Pay your debts like a man.

These are the same people that won't get home insurance then cry until they get bailed out but the government; i.e. taxpayers like me.

Tanya 93
Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.
does every electricity user have the ability to lock in a rate?

Every single one?
Teslag
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

Yes
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

Every time I search for a new energy plan there are dozens of options, and several with each provider, fixed and variable.

Find me evidence that these people didn't just want to save a few bucks and were forced to get a variable rate plan.

Until then, bleeding heart liberals gonna bleed.
Tanya 93
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

Every time I search for a new energy plan there are dozens of options, and several with each provider, fixed and variable.

Find me evidence that these people didn't just want to save a few bucks and were forced to get a variable rate plan.

I never had the option of other providers in Bryan, TX

that is why I asking

But of course you know all people have that option

So cool
96ags
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool
But did you have the choice for a fixed rate?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool

I highly doubt that. I just found five fixed rate plans in Bryan Texas just now.

You don't know what you're talking about.
annie88
AG
96ags said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool

You noticed she skipped right over that too and moved the goalposts? Me too.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Tanya 93
96ags said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool
We had the option for average billing. But I don't think we had that option. it was several years ago though

I just was curious if it was guaranteed thru state law or something that all providers have to offer both options and that you could choose your provider now. Since some want to say if people didn't have a fixed rate were taking the cheap way out.
wbt5845
AG
I should start living like these people - take the very lowest cost option all the time then whine like a 3 year old, start a GoFundMe, beg the government for a bailout, etc, when the hens come home to roost.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
wbt5845 said:

I should start living like these people - take the very lowest cost option all the time then whine like a 3 year old, start a GoFundMe, beg the government for a bailout, etc, when the hens come home to roost.

This is exactly the problem. And the same people will do it every single opportunity it presents itself.
wbt5845
AG
Tanya 93 said:

96ags said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool
We had the option for average billing. But I don't think we had that option. it was several years ago though

I just was curious if it was guaranteed thru state law or something that all providers have to offer both options and that you could choose your provider now. Since some want to say if people didn't have a fixed rate were taking the cheap way out.

Every single consumer in Texas has the option of fixed rate plans.
96ags
AG
wbt5845 said:

Or just start an airline or train company
Tanya 93
wbt5845 said:

Tanya 93 said:

96ags said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool

So what you are saying is they are required to offer them?

That is what I wanted to know, because some people say they didn't have a fixed rate option
torrid
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

They are referring to people who were on plans based on the spot price of electricity. Which shot up like 10x normal.
I think it was way more than 10X.
torrid
AG
rgag12 said:

I remember when blowing wind used to be free
Too cheap to meter, as they used to say about nuclear plants.
Cromagnum
AG
"If you want power that's real shiddy, just call 866-4-Griddy."
No Spin Ag
From what I heard my bill isn't going up.
tysker
AG
rgag12 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Who were these people exactly? Give me their zip code and lets go to powertochoose.org to see what options they have. With a little digging we can see what options they had have had over the last several years.
tysker
AG
wbt5845 said:

Tanya 93 said:

96ags said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool

Dont most companies want you on a fixed rate plan? Easier to handle the financing, accounting, securitization, and trading of the electricity when you have a well defined and fairly predictable stream of income. I would think variable pricing may be better for the consumer from time to time but overall it's harder on the servicer. It's during the major spikes and troughs that the servicers really make their money.
HTownAg98
If you're on a city owned utility like Austin Energy or CPS (San Antonio), you can't get another retail provider. I'm almost positive those muni utilities are fixed rate plans.
Deputy Travis Junior
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Be a responsible adult. No one forced you to get a variable rate plan to start with. You did it to save a few bucks with the hope the rates stayed low. You gambled and lost. Pay your debts like a man.

These are the same people that won't get home insurance then cry until they get bailed out but the government; i.e. taxpayers like me.

I agree to an extent, but at minimum it's absolutely craptastic customer service to not let customers know when prices are spiking + by how much so that they can adjust their behaviors accordingly. That's the key gripe with a lot of this. I'm all for letting responsible adults weigh their options + make decisions, but the opacity with a lot of this BS was almost total. That is, it was very difficult for customers to get ahold of the data they needed to make informed decisions.
fooz
Tanya 93 said:

wbt5845 said:

Tanya 93 said:

96ags said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

They should have to pay.

Every single one?

that is why I asking

So cool

So what you are saying is they are required to offer them?

That is what I wanted to know, because some people say they didn't have a fixed rate option

They are lying. HTH
TexasAggiesWin
S
I'm sure most of these people did not pay attention during August of 2019 when the same thing happened with Griddy. You agree to sign up paying the wholesale price of electricity. When it spikes, you are paying that spike in price (just the same as when it is low, you are paying that low in price = but I'm sure nobody ever complains when that happens).

DFW News - Griddy

Houston News - Griddy

More Houston News - Griddy

Business Wire - Griddy
Faustus
Wife handles the utilities/bills/groceries. She's self-employed and works from home a couple of days a week, and the rest of the time runs the household.

I never in a million years thought she'd sign up for a variable rate plan anymore than we'd sign on for an adjustable rate mortgage.

I was wrong and she had us on Griddy. $3.3k for the electric bill.
We're no longer on Griddy and she no longer has autonomy in that area of our finances.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.