New Corona myth

4,376 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Debt
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SO's company just consulted a COVID expert. This doctor, who I assume went to medical school rather than staying at a Holiday Inn Express, claims that the reason symptoms have become more mild is that the masks "reduce the viral load." Less virus transmitted = less severe symptoms....as if the virus doesnt replicate within the host.

I get that WBC's may reject some virus cells, but this is just quackery.

On a related note, Im sure the science journals will soon let us know you only catch AIDS if you get enough of it! Take your viral loads with caution.
Nitro Power
Prune Tracy
The TC Jester
That is up there with the "permanent organ damage/failure" BS.
CrottyKid
AG
No, it is like saying you will still get AIDS, but the symptoms will be milder.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
It's a viral load alright.
MouthBQ98
AG
There's some validity to that. Replication is exponential but it's far worse/faster if you have boatload of infected cells right at the start versus a tiny number. Your body has much more time to react and start its immune defense and reacts less severely when it does.

Not sure if the masks really help much in that way, though.
Barnyard96
AG
I dont know about the affect of masks, but isn't viral load in regards to symptoms a real thing?
GoneGirl
AG
The Debt said:

SO's company just consulted a COVID expert. This doctor, who I assume went to medical school rather than staying at a Holiday Inn Express, claims that the reason symptoms have become more mild is that the masks "reduce the viral load." Less virus transmitted = less severe symptoms....as if the virus doesnt replicate within the host.

On a related note, Im sure the science journals will soon let us know you only catch AIDS if you get enough of it! Take your viral loads with caution.
My brother is a trauma surgeon and ER doc. He treats COVID patients daily.

He said the same thing. Yes, the virus replicates, but the lower the viral load you get, the easier it is for your immune system to knock it out.

It's like getting mugged by one person instead of ten.

unimboti nkum
AG

Quote:

SARS-CoV-2 viral load is associated with increased disease severity and mortality

Abstract

The relationship between SARS-CoV-2 viral load and risk of disease progression remains largely undefined in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Here, we quantify SARS-CoV-2 viral load from participants with a diverse range of COVID-19 disease severity, including those requiring hospitalization, outpatients with mild disease, and individuals with resolved infection. We detected SARS-CoV-2 plasma RNA in 27% of hospitalized participants, and 13% of outpatients diagnosed with COVID-19. Amongst the participants hospitalized with COVID-19, we report that a higher prevalence of detectable SARS-CoV-2 plasma viral load is associated with worse respiratory disease severity, lower absolute lymphocyte counts, and increased markers of inflammation, including C-reactive protein and IL-6. SARS-CoV-2 viral loads, especially plasma viremia, are associated with increased risk of mortality. Our data show that SARS-CoV-2 viral loads may aid in the risk stratification of patients with COVID-19, and therefore its role in disease pathogenesis should be further explored.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19057-5
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
Illuminaggie
New?

That has been speculated upon since April/Mayish.
Schrute Farms
Reducing viral load has been a topic since the beginning. It's not new.
Mr President Elect
AG
GoneGirl said:

He said the same thing. Yes, the virus replicates, but the lower the viral load you get, the easier it is for your immune system to knock it out.

Yeah, they have been saying this for a while. It was the theory behind why some of the younger healthy doctors died from it, because of how much viral load they were being exposed to.
Texaggie7nine
Not sure how much masks actually play a role in reducing the viral load, but plenty of data is showing that initial viral exposure amount plays a significant role in how severe the sickness is.
7nine
astros4545
AG
GoneGirl said:

The Debt said:

So milder symptoms if you catch it through the air vs. making out with someone

Masks aint doing anything to change that
whiteman
Radiation would have been better comparison than AIDs, you want to get a full blast when getting X-rays or would you like the lead shield and as much protection as possible. Viral load is a real thing otherwise Doctors, RRTs and nurses wouldn't need PPE.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I mentioned on here a month ago that a lib coworker was trying to convince me that masks don't keep you from getting sick, but they reduce the viral load so more people are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. That way we get to herd immunity faster. This was all in response to pointing out studies that say masks and mask mandates aren't helpful.
Barnyard96
AG
Doesn't HCQ help reduce viral load?
Clob94
Prune Tracy said:

So that's like saying I'll only get AIDS-lite if I use a sock as a condom?
Best post I've seen from you ever. Hang it up for the weekend my man.
Maroon Dawn
AG
If masks work then why are NODSK and SODAKs numbers virtually identical?
Marcus Brutus
Texaggie7nine said:

Not sure how much masks actually play a role in reducing the viral load, but plenty of data is showing that initial viral exposure amount plays a significant role in how severe the sickness is.

Sorry, but I call bacon sandwich.
The Debt
whiteman said:

Radiation would have been better comparison than AIDs, you want to get a full blast when getting X-rays or would you like the lead shield and as much protection as possible. Viral load is a real thing otherwise Doctors, RRTs and nurses wouldn't need PPE.
So youre claiming that doctors, RRTs, and nurses are exposing themselves to the virus just enough to avoid the "worse" symptoms.

I wonder if this magic works with any other virus. "I only got a small amount of Hepatitis, its barely noticeable, luckily it isnt full-on Hepatitis."
notex
AG
whiteman said:

Show me a scientific paper showing viral load of respiratory viruses leads to a decrease of cases/severe cases/deaths based on the paper masks being worn by 90% of the people in the store today.

TIA.

The comparison to surgical room sanitation (everyone with proper gear, strict hygiene standards, over one person for hours, N95+, discard everything afterward, regulated environment) that is relied on by the doomers is absurd.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Masks shield the face from taking big loads,
TxTarpon
I thought the new rumor is that is makes women infertile?
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
KidDoc
AG
This appears to be fairly specific to COVID. It is a theory but it has a growing body of evidence and support in the medical community. It helps explain why some people with the exact same risk factors can have highly variable response. Non N95 masks will not prevent a specific viral particle from spreading but they likely do decrease droplet spread and thus viral load from a community perspective.

It is not the same for all viruses. As mentioned Hep C & HIV both take a very small dose to make disease.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88692

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/09/falling-covid-19-viral-loads-may-explain-lower-rates-icu-use-deaths

https://www.axios.com/viral-load-dose-coronavirus-246b334d-5420-488d-a1b1-ec9a39c55f58.html

From March 2020:
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-covid-19-and-viral-load/

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
The problem with masks is that they increase the viral load of those already infected because they're breathing in their own exhaled air. Some of this is so obvious, yet we're still being forced to smother ourselves.
jwoodmd
SociallyConditionedAg said:

The problem with masks is that they increase the viral load of those already infected because they're breathing in their own exhaled air. Some of this is so obvious, yet we're still being forced to smother ourselves.
No. Just no.

Some great mental gymnastics there.
BigRobSA
jwoodmd said:

No. Just no.

He better be wearing a mask!
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
jwoodmd
GoneGirl said:

The Debt said:

This right here. And for those comparing to HIV, HIV once in your body, your immune system on its own cannot eradicate the virus. For flu, colds, these are ones that if under a certain level, your body can defeat without help. Viral loading discussion has been around forever. In layman terms, your grandparents would say things like "had a touch of the flu" while some else in the house was very sick. It also works with bacteria. Eat a very small amount of E Coli and you might get the runs and an upset stomach. Eat an entire undercooked burger loaded with it and you're in the hospital.
jwoodmd
BigRobSA said:

jwoodmd said:

No. Just no.

He better be wearing a mask!
I'd prefer he wear condoms and not procreate.
jwoodmd
KidDoc said:

This appears to be fairly specific to COVID. It is a theory but it has a growing body of evidence and support in the medical community. It helps explain why some people with the exact same risk factors can have highly variable response. Non N95 masks will not prevent a specific viral particle from spreading but they likely do decrease droplet spread and thus viral load from a community perspective.

It is not the same for all viruses. As mentioned Hep C & HIV both take a very small dose to make disease.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88692

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/09/falling-covid-19-viral-loads-may-explain-lower-rates-icu-use-deaths

https://www.axios.com/viral-load-dose-coronavirus-246b334d-5420-488d-a1b1-ec9a39c55f58.html

From March 2020:
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-covid-19-and-viral-load/

Heathen!! Get out of here with facts and science. You'll be burned at the stake.
The Debt
Just spitballin here, but if you can reduce the amount of CV19 in the bloodstream, maybe just maybe, the symptoms will be alleviated.

Maybe use some sort of disinfectant.
Martin Cash
AG
The Debt said:

Remind us again, what medical school did you graduate from?
WoMD
How might I expose myself to a low viral load of covid, giving me mild symptoms, thus creating immunity with minimal risk.

Hooray I just created the covid vaccine...

Give me funding!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.