Many despise W for Roberts...

3,573 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mjschiller
Guy on a Buffalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...but he also gave us Alito.

And while we are currently content with Gorsuch, Barrett and Kavanaugh, time has yet to tell whether they will hold long-term to constitutional opinions.

If I have learned anything about the SCOTUS over the past ten years, it's that when Democrats appoint justices you know exactly what you're getting. When Republicans do the same, you still end up holding your breath and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

God bless the 5 who sided with religious liberty and against the tyrannical powers that would seize control of individual freedom of assembly and religious expression.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
TxAgPreacher
S
We despise W for lots of reasons...
unmade bed
Tried to give us Harriet Miers. Lol
MGS
unmade bed said:

Yep, the Swamp hated that pick.
YellowPot_97
AG
W
2004FIGHTINTXAG
W's legacy continues to get worse as time moves on.
rgag12
AG
As time goes by liberals love W more and more, as evidenced by this thread, and conservatives hate him more and more.

It's funny because liberals would froth at the mouth if you mention W in 2008. I guess in 12 years they'll start to love Trump too after 8 years of DeSantis.
DallasAg 94
BBRex
AG
I don't despise him, but I don't care for his use of executive orders or Homeland Security, for starters.
oneeyedag
W at his time was a D-. The more we learn, he was nothing more than a loser rino!
aggie93
AG
Bush mainly looked good to conservatives because the comparison points are guys like McCain or Romney. Remember McCain came in 2nd and the other realistic alternatives were Kasich and Elizabeth Dole. You had Keyes running an outsider campaign but he never had a serious chance. The GOP was totally dominated by globalists and swamp creatures and Bush was the tallest midget.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
FJB
AG
W, GHWB, Jeb, and that whole swamp family can just jump in a lake. Their is more smoke around them than a dumpster fire.
FrioAg 00
AG
Bush gave us war for the wrong reasons, fake conservatives in all levels of government who love oppressive spending and taxes, and the belief that conservatives should be passive while under attack.

He did more harm to our country than the liberal presidents before and after him.
snowdog90
**** the Bushs. They should be the first ones sent to Gitmo.
Spurswin5
DallasAg 94 said:

Aside from the speech in NYC on the back of the fire truck, I can't really find much positive about W.

Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act

It was basically Hillary Care +10%

Patriot Act, which provided DHS and TSA, a Federalization and Unionization of airport security.

Those, IMO, are two of the worst products of a W Administration.

Yeah the Patriot Act where the president can designate a US citizen as a threat and that person foregoes their constitutional protections and get tried in a military court.

What if it is a case of mistaken identity? Tough s***.
It happened to a Muslim American whose fingerprints were mistaken for the terrorist that took our a subway/train in Spain.

That President Bush?
FCBlitz
I despise W because he has shown he is a globalist.
TexAgs91
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Aside from the speech in NYC on the back of the fire truck, I can't really find much positive about W.
The positive was the war on terror. There are many in the mid-east that needed some ass kicking at the time and Gore would have F'd that up.

When Bush said Iraq was the next target after Afghanistan (which we totally showed the Russians how it's done btw) I was confused on that one thinking Iran was the next hot spot. But then thought after Iraq we'd have Iran surrounded and that they'd be next.

Even the left agreed at that time on Iraq despite them trying to claim differently during the 2004 election and they ultimately turned Iraq into a quagmire:

But I agree with others here, the more time passes the worse W's legacy becomes.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Ag06Law
AG
The Alito point is a great one OP. You won't get the recognition for it around here that you should because of the hatred for GWB, but Alito has been a great pick. As was Thomas by GHWB. We'll continue to see the Bush-hating threads whenever Robert's does something those around here won't like, but won't see the Bush appreciation threads when Alito writes a good opinion.
Gigem314
AG
I don't think GWB is nearly as bad as he's portrayed. Particularly the vile way the Dems treated him.

That said, it's obvious the family company line and "being nice" to everyone in DC is more important to them than standing up for what is right. They probably truly believe Biden is a good, moral, man. The Bush's have existed in a bubble and are out of touch.

That said, at least GWB focuses on military and first responders in his post-Presidency and isn't trying to stay in the political game pulling strings like the Clintons and Obamas have.
Ag4life80
AG
Any judgement of W as President needs an asterisk by it. To not note that only 1 guy stood on the rubble of 9/11 and must have thought to himself ' Oh my God, I can never let this happen again on my watch' , is to rewrite the context of history. I would think just about every decision W made had that memory seared in his mind. Critics are gonna critique, but not another leader has stood in that position. Impossible to compare, except of course, with the 20/20 vision of a critic's hindsight.
Maacus
Gigem314 said:

I don't think GWB is nearly as bad as he's portrayed. Particularly the vile way the Dems treated him.

That said, it's obvious the family company line and "being nice" to everyone in DC is more important to them than standing up for what is right. They probably truly believe Biden is a good, moral, man. The Bush's have existed in a bubble and are out of touch.

That said, at least GWB focuses on military and first responders in his post-Presidency and isn't trying to stay in the political game pulling strings like the Clintons and Obamas have.
I like this post. It's true, they have existed in a bubble and are out of touch. He wants nothing more than to ride off in the sunset of his years and be remembered as the kind and compassionate one. But in reality, he is just another part of the swamp, whether that is intentional or not. I think it may be unintentional because he was born with a silver foot in his mouth.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Eye-Rack
ravingfans
AG
unmade bed said:

yep, W should have known something was wrong when harry reid recommended her to replace sandra day oconner (W chose roberts instead--ugh!)

miers had previously been a democrat, but back in the day the term "conservative democrat" was not such an oxymoron as it is today. Today it is simply a moron.

thankfully, we got Alito instead. I think the democrats and republicans alike believed he would nominate another miers if they didn't confirm Alito, so they all went along with it.
HoustonAggie37713
Kavanaugh just voted pro Obama care. He's a snake.
HoustonAggie37713
The entire Bush family is an embarrassment. Bush Clinton Foundation was a scam.
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

Gore would have F'd that up.

W let the well-loadd train depart the track within the first 30 days when he allowed the "tolerant moderates" (the same ones that today fund Antifa and BLM) coerce him into changing the name of the retaliatory military operdition from Infinite Justice to Enduring Freedom because the patriotic Muslim-Americans wanted everyone to know that only Allah (pigs be upon him) could dispense infinite justice.

Whatever. I didn't appreciate the importance of W's willingness to bow so quickly to inane demands. It was a harbinger of all the bad decisions to come. He caved like blade of grass when the Democrats insisted on federalizing TSA baggage screeners to further bloat the union dues paying rolls of the AFGE that launders money for the DNC.

I didn't give up on him until long after I should have. He had a deep personal care for the wounded and their families but he was a horrible CINC and wasted their sacrifice.
Marcus Brutus
W doubled the debt, passed Medicare D, started an idiotic war in Iraq, desperately wanted amnesty, etc..

He was a bad president for many reasons.

We just continue to be reminded of it via Roberts Idiocy.
ravingfans
AG
Rittenhouse said:

W doubled the debt, passed Medicare D, started an idiotic war in Iraq, desperately wanted amnesty, etc..

He was a bad president for many reasons.

We just continue to be reminded of it via Roberts Idiocy.

Agree he did some ridiculously bad things--you forgot the Patriot act/FISA courts which took one more presidency to get abused.

It would have been far worse to have gore instead--ugh!
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Patriot Act, which provided DHS and TSA, a Federalization and Unionization of airport security.

Don't forget No Child Left Behind. I wonder how many of our current problems stem from that. Kids entering school during his term are adults now.
ravingfans
AG
SociallyConditionedAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Don't forget No Child Left Behind. I wonder how many of our current problems stem from that. Kids entering school during his term are adults now.

The Patriot Act came with many un-patriotic things such as FISA secret courts for example...
91AggieLawyer
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

This plus he all but mailed in the last 2 years of his admin and pretty much paved the way for Obama. He refused to fight back against the media and foolishly thought he could work with the democrats in Congress. His way of getting reelected involved, at least partially, to outflank his opponents by getting to their issues before them -- in other words, be a sort of big government lite if you will. You hit on some of that stuff here.

Was he a good leader? Yes. Good wartime leader? Yes. Better than the alternatives? Hell yes. Disappointing? Beyond that. We pretty much repeated the mistakes of Vietnam by letting the media and the anti-American mob influence us too much in war fighting. We could have gotten rid of Saddam and ended (or at least made a bigger impact of) the war a lot sooner had we been more aggressive, but Bush largely refused, cowering to people who would never, ever say good things about him regardless of what he did.

GWB will be, at best, in the middle of the middle third of Presidents. And that's pushing it.
Just Tired
raging_agaholic said:

If I have learned anything about the SCOTUS over the past ten years, it's that when Democrats appoint justices you know exactly what you're getting. When Republicans do the same, you still end up holding your breath and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

all you ever really know about the republican appointees is that no matter bad they turn out... they are still better than the democratic alternative would have been.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Yeah, I don't have a lot of great things to say about W's presidency, but I guess part of the point I was trying to make in the OP was that once upon a time I thought Roberts would be a lot more Scalia and a lot less Kennedy. Time has shown that to be untrue, but Alito has held up based on what I expected.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
Keegan99
AG
Ag06Law said:

The Alito point is a great one OP. You won't get the recognition for it around here that you should because of the hatred for GWB, but Alito has been a great pick. As was Thomas by GHWB. We'll continue to see the Bush-hating threads whenever Robert's does something those around here won't like, but won't see the Bush appreciation threads when Alito writes a good opinion.

Both Bush 41 and Bush 43 went 1 for 2 on SCOTUS picks.

That's simply not good enough for a GOP President considering that Dems bat consistently close to 1.000 on their nominations.
mjschiller
AG
All Bush's are "One World Government". Roberts is our Earl Warren.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.