Starbucks Employee Fired for Refusing to Wear Pride Shirt

7,860 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DCAggie13y
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://nypost.com/2020/11/26/starbucks-fired-barista-for-refusing-to-wear-pride-t-shirt-lawsuit/

The LGBTQ machine of oppression rolls on: a Christian employee named Betsy Fresse who has worked for Starbucks since 2015, was assured her values would not be compromised in working for the coffee chain. That all recently changed when she refused to wear a Pride tee-shirt. She filed suit against the firm after they terminated her, citing that her beliefs violated Starbucks' "core values".
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
JamesBREI06
AG
Wear the shirt, bigot
Whoop!
HoustonAggie37713
Incredible. Liberals are disgusting.
jetch17
AG
Gay.
Ol Rock
AG
I hope she's so rich by the end she never has to work unless she wants to.
oldarmy1
AG
Go for 7 figures. Unbelievable
Cassius
oldarmy1 said:

This.

And conservatives, STOP BUYING THEIR OVERPRICED SHTTY COFFEE!
TheHoneybadger
AG
I honestly don't know how liberals live with themselves. Mental illness is my only explanation.
Ag4life80
AG
Very tolerant. Typical sanctimonious hypocrisy practiced by liberals.
Ags4DaWin
jetch17 said:

Gay.

PERFECT.

underrated post.
AggDogg61
Cassius said:

oldarmy1 said:

This.

azul_rain
quit drinking coffee in general, get adequate sleep and drink water in the AM
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
MaroonStain
AG
Cassius said:

oldarmy1 said:

This.

Starbucks has really become garbage.
SlackerAg
AG
They should rename it CharredButts.
Onceaggie2.0
hedge said:

Coffee is good for you
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

I stopped more than a decade ago when I found out how many calories were in my favorite fraps. It was a sad couple weeks, but had to give it up.

And their regular coffee is literal hot garbage.
BanderaAg956
The traditional gay deviant mafia!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
azul_rain
It's really not
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
TEX465
AG
I defend Sarbuck's right to fire her just like I would defend the NFL's right to fire players for kneeling. I wish conservatives would backup business owner's rights, rather than some employee that entered into that job as a consenting adult.

She really should've just stuck to her beliefs and quit.

Freedom of political speech doesn't extend into the workplace.
UTExan
TEX465 said:

I defend Sarbuck's right to fire her just like I would defend the NFL's right to fire players for kneeling. I wish conservatives would backup business owner's rights, rather than some employee that entered into that job as a consenting adult.

Except she was told when hired that her beliefs were no issue.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TEX465
AG
UTExan said:

TEX465 said:

Except she was told when hired that her beliefs were no issue.
If that's part of her employment contract, then sure. Sue them for breach of contract. But I don't defend her on the basis that her choice to not wear the shirt was "protected speech". It wasn't.
Onceaggie2.0
hedge said:

It's really not

It really is
Maacus
Cassius said:

oldarmy1 said:

This.

Amen!
JABQ04
AG
God I hope I get fired for something stupid like this. I'd see that neither me nor my kids ever work. Grandkids will have to fend for themselves though
91AggieLawyer
AG
TEX465 said:

There's a big difference between being restricted from engaging in political speech in the workplace and being forced to effectively engage in speech you disagree with. This is more like forcing employees to donate to political causes. While it may still be technically speech and it MAY legally be an at-will employee issue (and thus, a legal firing), there also may be some legal issues involved. There are certainly policy issues at play here.

If XYZ Corp. fired someone (or even refused to hire someone) because they wouldn't come to a forced Bible study before work or wear a t-shirt promoting an evangelical preacher, the left would absolutely lose their mind.
milner79
Cassius said:

This.
The Fife
FPS_Dough said:

hedge said:

Coffee is good for you

It's what makes day drinking easy!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Believe in Covid and thou shalt be saved. The wages of covid is death. Covid is love. All have sinned against covid.
RGLAG85
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

TEX465 said:

There's a big difference between being restricted from engaging in political speech in the workplace and being forced to effectively engage in speech you disagree with. This is more like forcing employees to donate to political causes. While it may still be technically speech and it MAY legally be an at-will employee issue (and thus, a legal firing), there also may be some legal issues involved. There are certainly policy issues at play here.

If XYZ Corp. fired someone (or even refused to hire someone) because they wouldn't come to a forced Bible study before work or wear a t-shirt promoting an evangelical preacher, the left would absolutely lose their mind.

They'd have to find it first.
Thomas Jefferson: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
RGLAG85
AG
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Incredible. Liberals are disgusting.

And water is wet.
Thomas Jefferson: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
TheHoneybadger
AG
The Fife said:

FPS_Dough said:

hedge said:

Coffee is good for you

It's what makes day drinking easy!
I f#%^$&+ love day drinking
TEX465
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

TEX465 said:

But it's those laws that I have a problem with. I think we've gone too far in the "employers can't fire you because they don't like you or what you believe" front.

People are allowed to be *******s if they want. Why not companies? I would rather let employers hire and fire you for whatever reason they would like, and let the market (e.g., glassdoor) sort it out. They will have to live with their own reputations.

In my opinion, the law should make sure that companies and people are transparent in their contracts, aren't breaching verbal or written contracts, and are not perpetrating fraud. Let the lawsuits fly in relation to these things.

If the plaintiff in this case is suing on the basis of breach of contract, I'm on board. Hope she wins.
Teslag
AG
If she were Muslim she wouldn't have been fired.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I hope the conservatives have learned to not hire liberals. They are tumors to developing a good working culture.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.