If you have/had Covid

3,245 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by ironmanag
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you planning on getting retested? I'm not a Coronabro but leaning towards doing the rapid test just for peace of mind I won't spread to others.
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was told if you wear a mask you can't give it to anyone. You're good to go!
Old Army Ghost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Muy said:

Are you planning on getting retested? I'm not a Coronabro but leaning towards doing the rapid test just for peace of mind I won't spread to others.
How recent did you have it? Probably wise to get tested if it has been relatively recent and you are going to be around others.
fordmd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Retesting doesn't tell you if you are contagious

The studies have shown that at 6-7 days after symptom start, patients without severe infection ( in hospital) did not have virus capable of replicating and causing infection. The tests are looking for viral particles, not viable virus. They may remain positive for months, without having any active virus in your system to infect others.

Retesting tells you nothing and only adds expense, discomfort, and confusion.


https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcommunity%2Fstrategy-discontinue-isolation.html



No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
raging_agaholic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you manifest symptoms the first time you had it, or was it like when Nick Saban had it?

If the latter, you might not have had it. If the former, it's incredibly unlikely you've got it now.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
TX04Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have it currently. Symptomatic. I do not plan on getting retested once my days are up in the house. I dont need too for work or for anyone else, so really dont see the point.
Sgt. Schultz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can be around others after:
  • 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
  • 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving

I am an overweight old who tested + almost 2 weeks ago and I am asymptomatic (have been for quite awhile). I had a persistent cough nearly 3.5 weeks ago that lasted about 4-5 days and only one afternoon where I felt kind of crappy. Only reason I was tested almost 2 weeks ago was for visiting parents for Thanksgiving - they are in their 80s. Otherwise I would have never been tested and would have been doing things as normal.


Long and the short of it, don't worry about it and live your life.
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
raging_agaholic said:

Did you manifest symptoms the first time you had it, or was it like when Nick Saban had it?

If the latter, you might not have had it. If the former, it's incredibly unlikely you've got it now.


Yes, I tested positive and had a 101-103 fever for 9 days, then hospitalized for pneumonia for 7 days. First symptoms were on 9/7, so assume there is no way I'm contagious now.
Spaceship
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fordmd said:

Retesting doesn't tell you if you are contagious

The studies have shown that at 6-7 days after symptom start, patients without severe infection ( in hospital) did not have virus capable of replicating and causing infection. The tests are looking for viral particles, not viable virus. They may remain positive for months, without having any active virus in your system to infect others.

Retesting tells you nothing and only adds expense, discomfort, and confusion.


https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcommunity%2Fstrategy-discontinue-isolation.html





This is correct. A positive test after having the virus doesn't indicate contagiousness.
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We took the test 11/5 & tested positive because some people came to our house 11/1 & notified us they were positive on 11/4. We were both starting to cough so got the test. I had a low grade fever from 11/7-18 - only lingering thing is a slight cough.

We decided not go to my in-laws since they are in their 80's, because who really knows?

Glad you your are feeling better, Muy.


Sgt. Schultz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Muy said:

raging_agaholic said:

Did you manifest symptoms the first time you had it, or was it like when Nick Saban had it?

If the latter, you might not have had it. If the former, it's incredibly unlikely you've got it now.


Yes, I tested positive and had a 101-103 fever for 9 days, then hospitalized for pneumonia for 7 days. First symptoms were on 9/7, so assume there is no way I'm contagious now.
Sorry you had a rough patch there. Glad you are better. Go celebrate Thanksgiving!!!
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks brother. Wife is mad because I went on a 1 mile walk yesterday and plan on it today as well. I can't sit on a couch for 2 weeks.
Sgt. Schultz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Muy said:

Thanks brother. Wife is mad because I went on a 1 mile walk yesterday and plan on it today as well. I can't sit on a couch for 2 weeks.
Oh my, I can't help you with that....lol Life is for the living!!!
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I'm on my own on this one.
FriendlyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Muy said:

Are you planning on getting retested? I'm not a Coronabro but leaning towards doing the rapid test just for peace of mind I won't spread to others.


Nah. I'm never going to test. If I'm sick, I'm sick.
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My college-aged son had a very mild case of Covid. 14 days after his initial positive test, he still tested positive.
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tested positive last Friday. Work told me i can return Tuesday of next week and i don't need another test. I was kind of surprised by that. Not sure what I'll do.
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The tests are wildly inaccurate.
vansprinkle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Muy said:

Are you planning on getting retested? I'm not a Coronabro but leaning towards doing the rapid test just for peace of mind I won't spread to others.

You can test positive for up to 3 months after you first catch Covid. As someone else posted, per the CDC, you'll no longer be contagious either 10 days after your first symptoms, or 24 hours after your last fever (as long as you aren't using Tylenol, etc to get your fever down). If you want to feel safe about it, just double the CDCs suggestions.

Edited to add that I waited for a total of 17 days before I started going out in public. My entire family ended up getting Covid, so I actually stayed in for 10 days after my kids showed a temperature (they only had a 99.5 or so temp for a day). The kids ended up staying in for 12 days before we returned them to school (we actually did have them get a rapid test since they would be sitting in a class all day with peers - they tested negative).
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good input guys, thanks for keeping it focused on the question as Covid incites some serious battles, understandably.
Archie86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today is day 8 with CV-19 and feeling much better. I am a 57 year old, high risk outpatient with an autoimmune disease and diabetes. To my shock, doctors would not prescribe any meds to preempt respiratory infections. Nothing... nada.. was told treatments only for hospital patients. In my case, and with lots of faith and prayer, I survived.
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's interesting that I frequently find more useful information here than on Google and certainly not on the msm.
IronRed13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tested positive end of June and didn't get first negative pcr until 3 weeks later. I've been doing plasma donations the last few months and still show antibodies as of last Friday.
Sid Farkas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife came out of the bedroom feeling sick Saturday before last. Sniffles and cough. I have preexisting so when she went back to bed I grabbed all the necessary work related electronics and split to the weekend house. Later that week (week ago today) I got tested (negative). She got tested the next day (positive).

I got a second test four days ago (I know your not supposed to do that but dgaf)...came back negative again. Called my doc, checked CDC website and also posted on the coronabro forum. they all gave me the parameters mentioned above re: isolation time, improving condition, etc...I came home on Tuesday (11 days after onset of symptoms).

Wife's condition is improving every day. All is good.

Btw, my wife is asking: "so this is the weak **** we shut down the whole world for? Wtf?"
JR Ewing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Muy said:

raging_agaholic said:

Did you manifest symptoms the first time you had it, or was it like when Nick Saban had it?

If the latter, you might not have had it. If the former, it's incredibly unlikely you've got it now.


Yes, I tested positive and had a 101-103 fever for 9 days, then hospitalized for pneumonia for 7 days. First symptoms were on 9/7, so assume there is no way I'm contagious now.


Hey Muy,

I had it a few days after you. A scan earlier said I had pneumonia forming, so I got a ZPac to take for 5 days. How do you know when your pneumonia is clearing up? What are you doing to treat it? I'm popping Mucinex like candy and trying trying to hack it up...is there anything else to do? Also, I'm getting a saliva test on campus tomorrow with the whole family to make sure we are negative now.
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd keep a pulse Oxymeter and check throughout the day. If you are holding at 94-95 or higher you are really doing well. If you drop below 90 I'd call my doc just to let them know. I'm on a steroid for another 2 days, and because an ultrasound showed a small clot in my leg, they are keeping me on a blood thinner for 2 months but that's no big deal.

Look up yoga breathing exercises on YouTube. I can literally do 3-5 minutes of deep breathing and see my oxygen go from 93-96, it's crazy. Bottom line is, the longer you can keep your oxygen levels up, the faster your body will heal.
BTKAG97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What type of test is used to check for COVID-19?

Quote:

Several types of tests may be used to check for viruses:

  • Antibody test. Antibodies are substances made by the body's immune system to fight a specific viral infection. The antibodies attach to a cell infected by the virus and cause the virus to be destroyed. This test looks for antibodies to a specific viral infection. It is generally done on a blood sample. If the antibody is found, this test can show whether a person was infected recently or in the past.

  • Viral antigen detection test. Viral antigens develop on the surface of cells infected with a specific virus. A viral antigen detection test is done on a sample of tissue that might be infected. Specially tagged (with dye or a tracer) antibodies that attach to those viral antigens are mixed with the sample. The tagged antibodies can be seen by using a special light (or other method). If the tagged antibodies are attached to the cells, the cells are infected with the virus.

  • Viral culture. This is a test to find a virus that can cause an infection. A sample of body fluid or tissue is added to certain cells used to grow a virus. If no virus infects the cells, the culture is negative. If a virus that can cause infection infects the cells, the culture is positive. A viral culture may take several weeks to show results.

  • Viral DNA or RNA detection test. Using a sample of tissue or blood or other fluid (such as spinal fluid), this type of test looks for the genetic material (DNA or RNA) of a specific virus. This test can show the exact virus causing an infection.

Different types of samples are used for a viral test, including blood, urine, stool (feces), organ tissue, spinal fluid, and saliva. The type of sample used for the test depends on the type of infection that may be present.
If it is the anti-body test, how do they determine if the virus is still active enough to be contagious or if the result is lingering anti-bodies?
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Current client requires weekly rapid antibody tests to go on site. If you have antibodies you get a rapid test to see if you still have it. Ive been negative antibody twice now.

One coworker showed antibodies but tested negative.

15 of us total, all cleared to work.
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My doc said if you are 14 days in from first symptoms and have gone 48 hours with no fever, you aren't contagious.
JR Ewing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Muy said:

I'd keep a pulse Oxymeter and check throughout the day. If you are holding at 94-95 or higher you are really doing well. If you drop below 90 I'd call my doc just to let them know. I'm on a steroid for another 2 days, and because an ultrasound showed a small clot in my leg, they are keeping me on a blood thinner for 2 months but that's no big deal.

Look up yoga breathing exercises on YouTube. I can literally do 3-5 minutes of deep breathing and see my oxygen go from 93-96, it's crazy. Bottom line is, the longer you can keep your oxygen levels up, the faster your body will heal.


Thanks, Muy! And, I agree with you on the walks. After I walk with my little, my O2 levels are in the 97-99% range. Walking is good for you...Ill keep monitoring. My O2 levels are consistently in the 95% range...I greatly appreciate your advice. It helped me a lot when I was going through the more difficult symptoms. I have 102+ fever for 9 days also, which was not cool!
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me too man, the 102+ fever for 9-10 days is the worst I've ever felt in my life. Glad you are doing much better, and continued progress!
Maroon Dawn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The newest evidence suggests 7-10 days after symptoms present you are no longer contagious. It's the standard my hospital is using for employees

But If you're concerned get an antibody test

If you have antibodies you're good to go

Ignore the fearmongers saying "ZOMG BUT YOU CAN BE REINFECTED AND IMMUNITY DOESNT LAST!"

There's no evidence of widespread reinfection,, only 3 confirmed cases in the US and all of those cases something compromised an otherwise working immune system.

Also, there no evidence immunity doesn't last as long as regular flu immunity does, IE about a year until a new strain shows up

TLDR

Stop listening to the fear mongers who want no exceptions for anyone and just want everyone locked into their home
polarice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sid Farkas said:

My wife came out of the bedroom feeling sick Saturday before last. Sniffles and cough. I have preexisting so when she went back to bed I grabbed all the necessary work related electronics and split to the weekend house. Later that week (week ago today) I got tested (negative). She got tested the next day (positive).

I got a second test four days ago (I know your not supposed to do that but dgaf)...came back negative again. Called my doc, checked CDC website and also posted on the coronabro forum. they all gave me the parameters mentioned above re: isolation time, improving condition, etc...I came home on Tuesday (11 days after onset of symptoms).

Wife's condition is improving every day. All is good.

Btw, my wife is asking: "so this is the weak **** we shut down the whole world for? Wtf?"

So weak you fled your home for almost 2 weeks?
Round Rock AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't worry about it anymore OP. Just live your life. Seriously.
The_Fox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
polarice said:

Sid Farkas said:

My wife came out of the bedroom feeling sick Saturday before last. Sniffles and cough. I have preexisting so when she went back to bed I grabbed all the necessary work related electronics and split to the weekend house. Later that week (week ago today) I got tested (negative). She got tested the next day (positive).

I got a second test four days ago (I know your not supposed to do that but dgaf)...came back negative again. Called my doc, checked CDC website and also posted on the coronabro forum. they all gave me the parameters mentioned above re: isolation time, improving condition, etc...I came home on Tuesday (11 days after onset of symptoms).

Wife's condition is improving every day. All is good.

Btw, my wife is asking: "so this is the weak **** we shut down the whole world for? Wtf?"

So weak you fled your home for almost 2 weeks?
Agreed. That is odd. I got it. Did not quarantine from the family. We all caught it. We all had mild cases and now we are all through with COVID.

My wife said the same: we should have never shut down anything for this weak azz stuff.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.