If, when Thomas retires who is on Trumps list

5,517 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JR Ewing
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
policywonk98 said:

aggiehawg said:

Fifth Circuit, Don Willett. Age 54.

My guess.

The further delution of Ivy Law degrees would be nice. I know that somewhat superficial, but I do think its important for the court to be broken out of its two law school bubble a little.
Couldn't agree more, but the ABA might not agree and withhold "well qualified" or whatever rating for anything outside Harvard, Yale, NYU, Chicago, and Columbia. I'd like to see a state school, even if it is t.u. (long ago racists admissions policies notwithstanding).

The dirty little secret is that law school is law school. Almost all the profs went to one of about the same dozen to 15 schools; there aren't more than a few first year course casebooks for each specific court (property, torts, contracts, etc.); the curriculum is as close to identical as it gets in grad school; the only real difference is class rank, who you are up against, and what your school's grading and retention policy is. While I might concede that high honors at Harvard might be better than the same level at, say, OU Law, the top student at OU Law is likely just as well prepared for any kind of legal practice, including the classroom and the federal bench, as any Harvard (or any of the above listed schools) grads. Ben Shapiro has repeatedly said that once he got into Harvard Law, the dean there (now one of the lefties on the USSC; can't recall which one) said, "relax -- now that you're in, that was the hard part." I didn't relax my first year at law school and neither did most people I knew who went, regardless of where they went. The 2 Harvard grads I knew both said they were glad they went to Harvard but the name and not the education was the most important thing. Both were good lawyers but neither were any better than others I've worked with or against (or for that matter, myself).
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
rab79 said:

Drahknor03 said:

Thomas isn't going anywhere. He is now the defacto Chief Justice.
Well. then will Breyer retire or will he pull a ginsberg when Trump is reelected?

I think Breyer is the next to go, and I think it will happen in the next 4 years. He is old and has probably lost motivation to keep fighting now that his vote doesn't matter.
Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide
Hey...so.. um
GenericAggie said:

Does Cruz have the legal mind for it?

Is this a joke? He argued cases in front of SCOTUS before he ran for senate. He clerked for Scalia. He was part of GWB's legal team against Gore.

Yeah, I think he has the legal mind for it, but he doesn't want it.
GarryowenAg
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

Cruz said no. He wants Tom Cotton to get it.

No he doesn't. He wants Mike Lee to get it.
nortex97
AG
I could actually see a surprise Roberts retirement being next. Thomas or Bryar would be logical, though. I hope Thomas wants to stick around long enough to serve a couple years as chief justice. That would be epic.

My other hope is that pat leahy retires before the next round so we don't have to hear his senile machinations again.
Earl_Rudder
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

GenericAggie said:

Is this a joke? He argued cases in front of SCOTUS before he ran for senate. He clerked for Scalia. He was part of GWB's legal team against Gore.

Exactly. Plus, I much prefer him in the Senate.

But If he's learned anything from Trump (and he has based on how he eviscerates libs and progressives on twitter,) he may even be able to win a shot at the executive at some point.
Hey...so.. um
Dumb_Loggy said:

Hey...so.. um said:

Cruz said no. He wants Tom Cotton to get it.

No he doesn't. He wants Mike Lee to get it.

You are right. Idk why I got those two mixed up. Thanks for the correction, it didn't sound right when I typed it.
HoustonAggie37713
Cruz is one of the most partisan people in the Senate. He would hate that job. He would have to shut up.
zephyr88
AG
AnScAggie said:

I'll settle for the most qualified person be them black, white, brown or whatever. Male, female, makes no difference either.
Sorry my friend, it doesn't work like that anymore...
GenericAggie
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

GenericAggie said:

It was an honest question. I didn't really follow politics until 2015 and at that point Cruz was anti-Trump so I was anti Cruz.
Sarge 91
AG
aggiehawg said:

Fifth Circuit, Don Willett. Age 54.

My guess.
I like this. Small town Talty, Texas, First person in his family to go to college. Baylor undergrad, Duke law. Another stake in the heart of the Ivy League cabal.
JR Ewing
AG
Jim Adler - The Texas Hammer!
nortex97
AG
I'm not willing to move back to DC. Jut fyi.
aggiez03
AG
What are the requirements?

Can Don Jr get a law degree and be ready in 3 years?

Libs heads would 'literally' explode...
eric76
AG
rab79 said:

that is most likely to be nominated to replace him? Will there be pressure to replace him with another black man, or black woman?
Trump has a list (other than those he hates because they don't adore him)?
eric76
AG
aggiez03 said:

Nepotism is the answer?
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
JR Ewing said:

I came here to post this.
Forum Troll
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

JR Ewing said:

I keep waiting for him to go the route of the hand doctor guy.
aggiez03
AG
eric76 said:

aggiez03 said:

Nepotism is the answer?
You really think I am serious? Figures..

Bonfire1996
AG
eric76 said:

aggiez03 said:

Nepotism is the answer?

You have a negative sense of humor and zero perspective.
Twice an Aggie
AG
He is FAR left
MassAggie97
AG
Seriously, you're asking about the wrong list. The American people are in the process of rebuking your little cult of personality. Get over it.
texsn95
AG
MassAggie97 said:

Seriously, you're asking about the wrong list. The American people are in the process of rebuking your little cult of personality. Get over it.

Your side's not off to a very good start....

By the way, which recent thread was it where you got embarrassed time and time again, by conserativeag I think. Pitiful beatdown.
JR Ewing
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

JR Ewing said:

Great minds think alike...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.