Northam runs off VMI Superintendent for Systemic Racism

3,949 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/vmi-superintendent-resigns-a-week-after-gov-northam-ordered-investigation-into-racism-claims/article_85acdb5f-b00e-58cf-a017-698e5225022d.amp.html

Can't seem to find specifics exactly, I suspect it is like Sgt Hartman "you are all equally worthless in my eyes" racism but who knows. But a career Lt. Gen. Is probably not racist.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Well it takes a racists to potentially know a racists. And we all know 100% that gov black face is a racist.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Governor Blackface wants consequences for racism?

Go on....
Mayor West
AG
He should know about VMI's systemic racism seeing as he wore black face and/or KKK hood while going to school there
Ellis Wyatt
Old Ag 74
AG
I attended VMI as a freshman (rat) in 1970 before transferring to A&M. I never saw an example of systemic racism while I was there and that was 50 years ago this fall. It didn't matter if you were white, black, Asian, or whatever, we were all treated the same by the staff and upperclassmen, and it was very demanding. This is nothing more than minority cadets expecting that they should not be subjected to the rigors of regular cadet life.
oneeyedag
I can say having met and conversed at great length with Mercer, he is just as big a POS as Blackface!
BQ78
AG
I thought he did that in the med school not VMI
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm a VMI Parent (who wishes to remain anonymous in that regard) so my FB groups have been blowing up since early this morning after my cadet messaged me with information that GEN Peay had just resigned - seemingly out of the blue.

I assumed that similar to when Jackie Sherrill was the Texas A&M Football sacrificial lamb to the NCAA, GEN Peay was probably offered up to the Gods of Racism.

It looks like that is exactly what happened.

Brief timeline of the relevant events here:

Halloween 2017, there was the "Trump's Wall" costume which caused a big controversy because one Black Cadet Mother who sees racism everywhere she looks made a big deal about the fact that somebody had graffiti'd the wall with the phrase "No Cholos".
https://roanoke.com/news/virginia/trump-wall-costume-causes-a-stir-at-vmi-halloween-party/article_e78148fc-2b33-57d2-bda7-10a89a0b114d.html

June 2020, two former football players who had finished their 4 years of football scholarship decided to get in on the race grift in the after math of the George Floyd death by doing a tell all interview with the local Roanoke paper about how pervasive and systemic racism is at VMI. One of the key incidents they cited was the Trump Wall costume.

We've got the continued crusade against statues and of course VMI has plenty of them. Since the school was founded in 1839 and in fact fought for The South at the Battle of New Market as a cadet unit and had 10 cadets killed in action, there is no escaping VMI being intertwined with the Confederacy and General Stonewall Jackson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Market

One of the things the cadets do every year is to have the Rats (incoming freshmen) re-enact the charge at the Battle of New Market. One of the football players cited a complaint that when he was a Rat, he had gotten back late (he said 3am, I believe) from a football trip and then had to be up at 5am to take the bus to New Market. So he didn't get any sleep and the only purpose of the charge re-enactment was slavery...

Another complaint was that students had to salute the statue of Stonewall Jackson whenever they would leave barracks to go to class. Obviously this was racist for Black cadets since Stonewall Jackson was a Confederate General so, circa 2016/2017, they made this optional.

But, the American flag and the Stonewall Jackson statue were co-located so, you had to salute the American flag which was right next to Stonewall Jackson's statue. So, in effect, you were still saluting in the direction of Stonewall Jackson.

Here's that article:
https://roanoke.com/news/virginia/vmi-black-alumni-speak-out-about-racism-demand-changes-amid-swell-of-racial-justice-protests/article_12dbae31-7cba-5b8a-b948-1b932b6c435b.html

Over the summer of 2020, VMI took some major action as racism grew across the USA. GEN Peay issued a 7 page letter describing all that VMI was doing. Among the actions were:
1 - They would no longer do the Battle of New Market Charge re-enactment. And when they toured it, it would become optional for Black cadets.
2 - They left the Stonewall Jackson statue in place but moved the Flagpoles to a new location.
https://www.breitbart.com/education/2020/07/30/vmi-superintendent-says-college-will-not-remove-confederate-statues-rename-buildings/

Last Week, the Washington Post ran another article about racism at VMI. And Virginia Governor, Ralph Northam (aka - "Coonman", aka - We'll keep the babies comfortable until their mother decides whether to keep them or not) called for an independent investigation into racism at VMI.

The charges in this WaPo article were that one of the Black cadets was told that he would be lynched by a white cadet during a "Hell Week" physical training session. And that one of the professors remembered in fond terms, her family legacy of being in the Klan.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/at-vmi-black-cadets-endure-lynching-threats-klan-memories-and-confederacy-veneration/2020/10/17/3bf53cec-0671-11eb-859b-f9c27abe638d_story.html

Friday, Governor Northam sent a letter to GEN Peay - 17 year Superintendent of The Institute, Vietnam Veteran and 101st Airborne Commanding General during Desert Storm. In the letter he told GEN Peay that he had no confidence in Peay's leadership.

Monday (today), GEN Peay, took his 4 Stars and resigned. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this.

This is definitely something for us Aggies to take heed of as our vocal critics raise their concerns on the campus of Texas A&M.

I assure you that cadets encountering racism at VMI is a very rare occurrence. Now, if they wanted to pursue a social topic that is a big problem at VMI, they should explore Lesbianism.
Cassius
If I had kids, they would not go into the US military now, or at least I'd strongly discourage it. Thus, I'd also discourage any military academy. They'd pay their own way. Sorry, but that's where I'm at with the state of this union.
AgBQ-00
AG
Spent a semester there as an exchange cadet/advisor when they integrated female cadets into their corps. From my experience there as a sophomore/second year everyone looked to get along. All races, creeds etc. Not one bad interaction that I ever saw.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
CanyonAg77
AG
This smells of the USAFA Prep School when racist messages were left on the message board of a black cadet (Each room has a message board by the door for that room).

Outrage went from the prep school to the Academy itself to the LTGEN in charge of USAFA chewing out the entire Academy (not prep school) student body, telling them that racism had no place at USAFA. Very angry, passionate speech that went viral on the Internet.

Of course, it was all quietly swept under the rug when an investigation revealed (SURPRISE!) that it was a hoax, perpetrated by the "victim" himself.
_mpaul
AG
Clearly you don't understand the concept of systemic racism.
Old Ag 74
AG
Please tell me about the systemic racism you have personally witnessed at VMI.
CanyonAg77
AG
Old Ag 74 said:

I'm guessing mpaul was being sarcastic
Claverack
BQ78 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/vmi-superintendent-resigns-a-week-after-gov-northam-ordered-investigation-into-racism-claims/article_85acdb5f-b00e-58cf-a017-698e5225022d.amp.html

Can't seem to find specifics exactly, I suspect it is like Sgt Hartman "you are all equally worthless in my eyes" racism but who knows. But a career Lt. Gen. Is probably not racist.
So when can we expect Northam to fire himself for being racist?

Or is this simply being done to draw attention away from a future election where his minstrel show antics will certainly be an issue?

John The Savage
So you are saying we found Young's replacement?
“A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”
HollywoodBQ
AG
Well, it looks like the cadet claims had very little to do with calling for GEN Peay's resignation. It sounds like that was just air cover to launch a political strike.

It looks like the real issue was all about statues, Confederate flags, etc.

Apparently the Lieutenant Governor of Virginia is unaware that Virginia was a Southern state and VMI in fact did fight in battle for the South.

Here's a quote from a letter he issued yesterday:
Quote:

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax released the following statement on Monday:

"We must break with the past and chart a different future for VMI and for all of the Commonwealth's institutions a future that is finally free of racism and welcoming to all. The departure of one person does not fix a systemic problem we must confront in a comprehensive manner."

We can not continue to pretend that racism directed at African American cadets are singular incidents disconnected from a culture of longstanding systemic racism." He added: "We must face the challenges of systemic racism in an honest way to defeat an unjust past and forge a new and inclusive future that is welcoming for all. VMI must prioritize this mission.

The symbols of, and reverence for, the confederacy and the well-documented culture of racial discrimination and oppression that have long been perpetuated at VMI and other institutions can not continue to be publically funded.

Just as I have protested honoring "Stonewall" Jackson and Robert E. Lee in the Senate of Virginia and as monuments to the confederacy and the "Lost Cause" are being removed from our Commonwealth's common public square, we must take a bold stand to create real, lasting change.

We should not be allocating $19 million annually to a VMI that steadfastly refuses to change at a time when lower income students and diverse communities are refused free lunches and adequate educational opportunities. The "living monuments" to the confederacy must come down just like their bronze and stone counterparts.

As noted by Governor Wilder and others, this intolerable situation has gone on too long. If the symbols of racism and the culture they encourage at VMI are not removed by the time I take office in 2022, they will be during my Administration."
Pretty rich to assume that he'll be the next Governor in 2022.
https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/10/26/superintendent-of-virginia-military-institute-resigns/
YouBet
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Well, it looks like the cadet claims had very little to do with calling for GEN Peay's resignation. It sounds like that was just air cover to launch a political strike.

It looks like the real issue was all about statues, Confederate flags, etc.

Apparently the Lieutenant Governor of Virginia is unaware that Virginia was a Southern state and VMI in fact did fight in battle for the South.

Here's a quote from a letter he issued yesterday:
Quote:

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax released the following statement on Monday:

"We must break with the past and chart a different future for VMI and for all of the Commonwealth's institutions a future that is finally free of racism and welcoming to all. The departure of one person does not fix a systemic problem we must confront in a comprehensive manner."

We can not continue to pretend that racism directed at African American cadets are singular incidents disconnected from a culture of longstanding systemic racism." He added: "We must face the challenges of systemic racism in an honest way to defeat an unjust past and forge a new and inclusive future that is welcoming for all. VMI must prioritize this mission.

The symbols of, and reverence for, the confederacy and the well-documented culture of racial discrimination and oppression that have long been perpetuated at VMI and other institutions can not continue to be publically funded.

Just as I have protested honoring "Stonewall" Jackson and Robert E. Lee in the Senate of Virginia and as monuments to the confederacy and the "Lost Cause" are being removed from our Commonwealth's common public square, we must take a bold stand to create real, lasting change.

We should not be allocating $19 million annually to a VMI that steadfastly refuses to change at a time when lower income students and diverse communities are refused free lunches and adequate educational opportunities. The "living monuments" to the confederacy must come down just like their bronze and stone counterparts.

As noted by Governor Wilder and others, this intolerable situation has gone on too long. If the symbols of racism and the culture they encourage at VMI are not removed by the time I take office in 2022, they will be during my Administration."
Pretty rich to assume that he'll be the next Governor in 2022.
https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/10/26/superintendent-of-virginia-military-institute-resigns/
First bold: Then why remove him? You are admitting to ruining a person's career over a meaningless platitude. Democrats are evil.

Second bold: Low income students are refused free lunches (which I'm guessing a complete lie) so we are going to punish a military academy for having some old statues on campus. Some amazing logic there but then Democrats are stupid and insane as well as evil.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Virginia local news report here:
https://www.wdbj7.com/app/2020/10/27/vmi-superintendents-resignation-brings-reactions/
They quoted a former Black Governor of Virginia. He's 89 years old so his comments are only slightly more coherent than something Joe Biden would say but, I think the point he was trying to make is that if there is substantial enough evidence of these claims, Governor Northam should have already taken action. After all, he went there so he should know if racism is a real problem or not.

WaPo has another article out about racism at VMI - this time it's about comments made in an anonymous chat application called Jodel. I'm linking to an article in "The Root" because the WaPo article is behind a paywall.
https://www.theroot.com/vmi-cadets-roiled-by-accusations-of-racism-on-campus-1845497742

Where does it end? Statues? Confederate Flags?

I gotta be honest, there is a Black former soccer player who claims she has one huge racist incident documented and she's going to release it. Don't know what she's waiting for.

Several of the other offenses I've read about boil down to feeling bad because a guy was usually the only Black guy in his classes. I hate to break it to him but if he studied Engineering at Texas A&M, he would have the exact same experience in that regard.
FCBlitz
I am getting about dang tired, "We must do this in the name of diversity.!"'

That is not always the right reason to do so.
45-70Ag
AG
By December, the statue of stonewall Jackson will be gone.
F4GIB71
This is personal for me because my GGF was one of the New Market cadets and his cousin was one of those killed in the battle. I was fortunate enough to be invited as a descendant to the 150th anniversary of the battle. The New Market Day ceremony is very moving as I would say it is Muster on steroids. As we toured the area, we stopped at the Robert E Lee chapel, which was part of Washington College, later Washington & Lee. The historian told us about how after the battle, the Yankees came to Lexington and burned down VMI. They proceeded on next door to Washington College and prepared to burn it down too, since they liked looting, pillaging and burning civilian homes, churches, and property. The President of the college at that time, reminded the Yankee commander who the school was named after and pointed to his statue. The commander had second thoughts and decided not to burn the college.

Ironic that these ill-informed, uneducated anarchists are actually doing that very thing, only 150 years later, and we are all compliant. I fear the same for A&M.
ol' army '65
AG
At least VMI called it what it is: systemic racism. A&M denies that it exists in College Station, but that is all it is--a denial. Sooner or later, Texas A&M will have to admit that it exists among its former students, at least.
CanyonAg77
AG
ol' army '65 said:

At least VMI called it what it is: systemic racism. A&M denies that it exists in College Station, but that is all it is--a denial. Sooner or later, Texas A&M will have to admit that it exists among its former students, at least.
Bulls**t.
Cassius
Old Ag 74 said:

Was it built by white people?

Answer, yes.

Then it's inherently racist.

You're welcome /CRT

No need to rebut my post. That is the foundation of CRT which is being taught in government, colleges and businesses all over.
Cassius
ol' army '65 said:

That's dumb as fck. Congrats.
Wabs
AG
Racism has existed since the beginning of time, in all parts of the world. It will always exist to some degree. To think government is going to eradicate it completely is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It doesn't take a history scholar to know that the US today is one of the LEAST racist countries in the world.
HollywoodBQ
AG
ol' army '65 said:

Seriously, tell me more about the systemic racism which has existed at A&M during your almost 60 years experience with the College / University.

I am especially interested in examples from the past 1-10 years.

I can talk at length about the anti-female sentiment that exists/existed with Corps of Cadets / Aggie Band classes of the 80s - early 90s. But, most of my examples are now 30 years old and thus not particularly relevant to today.

And don't even get me started on alleged discrimination against "Women in STEM", or Black Engineers for that matter. it ain't the system that is keeping those numbers low. It's culture, i.e. - they just don't want to do it. Literally, you can't even pay them to study those subjects.

Examples of systemic racism, I really can't help with. During the early 1990s, we had a Black Drum Major (Kevin Roberts '89), a Black Student Body President (Steven Ruth '92) and a Black Yell Leader (Ronnie B. McDonald '93). Seems that systemic racism would have prevented that from happening.

How did Will Hurd overcome the systemic racism to become Student Body President in 1999? He wasn't an athlete, wasn't in The Corps. He did a great job in the wake of the Bonfire collapse.

And if you think that any of those guys were Tokens, I'll tell you what, there were hundreds of Aggie Bandsmen who showed up to Kevin Roberts funeral in May 1999. We all thought a lot of him.

I'll hang up and listen.
HollywoodBQ
AG
They got their statue.

VMI's Board has decided to move the Stonewall Jackson statue - because racism.

https://www.wdbj7.com/app/2020/10/29/vmi-votes-to-move-stonewall-jackson-statue/

I guess racism is over now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.