Google Search

3,663 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TheFirebird
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just saw someone posting out the differing image results for Happy XXXXX woman. You can google it yourself or click the links below. Wow.

White woman:
https://www.google.com/search?q=happy+white+woman&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwil8dX67bbsAhVDsFMKHVcjAb8Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=happy+white+woman&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECCMQJzICCAAyAggAMgIIADIGCAAQBRAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjoECAAQQzoFCAAQsQM6CAgAELEDEIMBOgsIABCxAxCDARDHA1CXMVjKWmCQXGgCcAB4AIABVIgBmQuSAQIyMpgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=cGOIX6X5JsPgzgLXxoT4Cw&bih=962&biw=1710&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS836US836

Black woman:
https://www.google.com/search?q=happy+black+woman&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS836US836&sxsrf=ALeKk01FqlxZ7DUwxwkhVFuJbB8MvANKbg:1602773966166&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiO6KGn7rbsAhWDjVkKHUhcDUYQ_AUoAXoECAYQAw&biw=1710&bih=962

Asian woman:
https://www.google.com/search?q=happy+asian+woman&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS836US836&sxsrf=ALeKk01yErAMKlpNrXNVY_0cnqhvx-tdYw:1602774018314&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiO65DA7rbsAhUywFkKHYBXCRYQ_AUoAXoECAYQAw&biw=1710&bih=962
waitwhat?
Almost certainly just 4chan being 4chan again.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
GeorgiAg
AG
waitwhat? said:

Definite troll attempt by someone
bam02
AG
Those Asian results!
YouBet
AG
I see no agenda here at all.
TravelAg2004
AG
waitwhat? said:

Yeah...it's very specific. I'm impressed at their ability to manipulate the results like that.
SLAM
waitwhat? said:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=happy+white+woman&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

Nope. It's just Google messing with the results. You don't get the same garbage in other search engines.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
waitwhat? said:

What are you talking about? Google has been like this for a long time.
Raiderjay
First result for "Happy White Man" Google search......

[b][raiderjay, you need to come up to the front of the bus where I can see you in this giant mirror above my steering wheel. -Staff][/b]
waitwhat?
SLAM said:

waitwhat? said:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=happy+white+woman&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

Nope. It's just Google messing with the results. You don't get the same garbage in other search engines.

You can only manipulate the results of one search engine at a time
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
dBoy99
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I just saw someone posting out the differing image results for Happy XXXXX woman. You can google it yourself or click the links below. Wow.

White woman:
https://www.google.com/search?q=happy+white+woman&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwil8dX67bbsAhVDsFMKHVcjAb8Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=happy+white+woman&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECCMQJzICCAAyAggAMgIIADIGCAAQBRAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjoECAAQQzoFCAAQsQM6CAgAELEDEIMBOgsIABCxAxCDARDHA1CXMVjKWmCQXGgCcAB4AIABVIgBmQuSAQIyMpgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=cGOIX6X5JsPgzgLXxoT4Cw&bih=962&biw=1710&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS836US836

Black woman:
https://www.google.com/search?q=happy+black+woman&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS836US836&sxsrf=ALeKk01FqlxZ7DUwxwkhVFuJbB8MvANKbg:1602773966166&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiO6KGn7rbsAhWDjVkKHUhcDUYQ_AUoAXoECAYQAw&biw=1710&bih=962

Asian woman:
https://www.google.com/search?q=happy+asian+woman&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS836US836&sxsrf=ALeKk01yErAMKlpNrXNVY_0cnqhvx-tdYw:1602774018314&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiO65DA7rbsAhUywFkKHYBXCRYQ_AUoAXoECAYQAw&biw=1710&bih=962

Some of you are pathetic
YouBet
AG
So, folks think 4chan is hacking Google and manipulating these results?
texagbeliever
I don't believe they "hack" google. There is an algorithm that google uses that can be manipulated to get certain replies to the top of a search. That is why sometimes if you type in an exact url for a website the top result isn't even that website. How they do it, i don't know but it is a thing.
ABATTBQ11
AG
YouBet said:

So, folks think 4chan is hacking Google and manipulating these results?

No, because it's not hacking. It's search algorithm manipulation. Google's algorithms are designed to look at what people actually select based on their searches and weight that into future searches. If you do enough searches and selections, you can artificially inflate certain results to tamper with the algorithms output without ever needing with it.

Think of it like slipping a red sock into a load of whites, but instead of one red sock, you slip in a few dozen pairs.
lb3
AG
Duck Duck Go:

Bird Poo
AG
lb3 said:

Duck Duck Go:

I'm finally at a point where I'm switching all of my browsers to Duck. This is pathetic.
ABATTBQ11
AG
texagbeliever said:

I don't believe they "hack" google. There is an algorithm that google uses that can be manipulated to get certain replies to the top of a search. That is why sometimes if you type in an exact url for a website the top result isn't even that website. How they do it, i don't know but it is a thing.

I don't know the specifics, but it likely has to do with deep learning models. Google has trillions of queries and the end result of those queries. Every page you selected from the results and what your last selection was. They also have things like location from your IP address and searches from the same IP address. They take a lot of different variables for billions of searches and train an algorithm to accurately predict what those searches were really after. New searches can be used to give the algorithm constant feedback on whether it is getting it right or not.

If you feed it bad data using bots or other techniques, you can manipulate the algorithm. In this case, the term specifically manipulated is "happy white woman." Replace happy with any synonym and you get just a happy white woman. The reason is that each word in the search aside from stop words is going to be used, and the algorithms are complex enough to pick up on interaction effects between keywords. "White," gets you the color, "woman," gets you women, and, "white woman " gets you white women. "Happy white woman," would typically get you a happy white woman, but if someone uses those three words together and specifically chooses a particular result over and over again, the algorithms variable weighting is shifted to that result. Since they didn't use the term, "white woman," or any synonyms of, "happy," the weighting is only on the combination of those three specific words.
Barnyard96
AG
Liberal Women.

https://www.google.com/search?q=liberal+women&rlz=1C1EJFC_enUS873US873&sxsrf=ALeKk00HiHVOtyjulWWAQ0EK5lG360DMdg:1602789156771&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj23tryprfsAhUNDKwKHTIfCqEQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1163&bih=525

Maacus
waitwhat? said:

What does 4chan have to do with it, it's google.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Maacus said:

waitwhat? said:

See the explanation above. It is not Google.

No one has the time to **** around with optimizing the results of every possible search on the internet. That is why search optimization is automated and the optimizations are constantly learning and adapting.

The learning algorithms are like a child that is constantly being taught and tested. If your neighbor starts teaching your kid dirty words over your back fence and coaching them to tell you you're a troglodyte, it's not you or kid. It's your neighbor.
Mucho austin
AG
barnyard1996 said:

Liberal Women.

https://www.google.com/search?q=liberal+women&rlz=1C1EJFC_enUS873US873&sxsrf=ALeKk00HiHVOtyjulWWAQ0EK5lG360DMdg:1602789156771&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj23tryprfsAhUNDKwKHTIfCqEQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1163&bih=525

I see you left off the "happy"

Makes it more accurate
TheFirebird
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Maacus said:

waitwhat? said:

See the explanation above. It is not Google.

No one has the time to **** around with optimizing the results of every possible search on the internet. That is why search optimization is automated and the optimizations are constantly learning and adapting.

The learning algorithms are like a child that is constantly being taught and tested. If your neighbor starts teaching your kid dirty words over your back fence and coaching them to tell you you're a troglodyte, it's not you or kid. It's your neighbor.
This stunt says much more about how easily internet trolls can predict what will upset a certain segment of the population than it does about Google itself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.