ICE performing mass hysterectomies

7,395 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxTarpon
SLAM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FightMilk said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-jail-ice-detainees-questionable-hysterectomies-shredded-records-nurse-says

Quote:

"Everybody he sees has a hysterectomyjust about everybody," Wooten is quoted as saying in the complaint, referring to the unidentified doctor, adding that he, in one incident, even accidentally removed the wrong ovary on a detained migrant woman.

"She was supposed to get her left ovary removed because it had a cyst on the left ovary; he took out the right one. She was upset. She had to go back to take out the left and she wound up with a total hysterectomy," Wooten said, according to the complaint. "She still wanted childrenso she has to go back home now and tell her husband that she can't bear kids. She said she was not all the way out under anesthesia and heard him [doctor] tell the nurse that he took the wrong ovary."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/93578d/staggering-number-of-hysterectomies-happening-at-ice-facility-whistleblower-say

Quote:

"If it wasn't for my faith in God, I think I would have gone insane and just break down and probably gone as far as hurting myself," the woman said. "There are a lot of people here who end up in medical trying to kill themselves because of how crazy it is."

Abolish ICE

Maybe don't enter a country illegally? Just a thought.
Richierich2323
Do not believe it.

Our detention centers are trained to spend as little money as possible.

These women would have been deported before the government would do that type of surgery.

If it happened, the person would have to have been creative to get passed guidelines and working as a rogue doctor With a lot of collaborators with possibly no pay.

Give me some hard evidence or I don't believe it. Our government is too cheap to spend the money that way intentionally.
Cassius
FightMilk said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-jail-ice-detainees-questionable-hysterectomies-shredded-records-nurse-says

Quote:

"Everybody he sees has a hysterectomyjust about everybody," Wooten is quoted as saying in the complaint, referring to the unidentified doctor, adding that he, in one incident, even accidentally removed the wrong ovary on a detained migrant woman.

"She was supposed to get her left ovary removed because it had a cyst on the left ovary; he took out the right one. She was upset. She had to go back to take out the left and she wound up with a total hysterectomy," Wooten said, according to the complaint. "She still wanted childrenso she has to go back home now and tell her husband that she can't bear kids. She said she was not all the way out under anesthesia and heard him [doctor] tell the nurse that he took the wrong ovary."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/93578d/staggering-number-of-hysterectomies-happening-at-ice-facility-whistleblower-say

Quote:

"If it wasn't for my faith in God, I think I would have gone insane and just break down and probably gone as far as hurting myself," the woman said. "There are a lot of people here who end up in medical trying to kill themselves because of how crazy it is."

Abolish ICE

Abolish dumbazz libs.

Hth
FriscoKid
Boo Weekley
FightMilk said:

Quote:

Quote:

Abolish ICE
Ha piss off clown. Your maggot buddies have killed countless people in the streets and destroyed many more peoples livelihoods and property. Abolish liberals.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to rip off Cassius, great minds just think alike.
Ag with kids
AG
Charpie said:

Fox and others are picking up the story. If it wasn't true, then you wouldn't have heard more about it.

My question is who authorized this doctor to do that?
I heard a WHOLE lot about a memo that Dan Rather had that proved that GWB went AWOL.

Except it was PROVEN that the memo was faked.

Are you telling me that it was still true, just because I heard a lot about it?
backintexas2013
AG
Government healthcare at its finest. We need more of this.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Do not believe it.

Yeah, it sounds a lot like the "whistleblower" is mad their hours were cut and they didn't like their working conditions.

I'm also angry that she waited until it didn't matter to (allegedly) stand up for the women. If they were getting horrible health care, why didn't she speak up at the time, when it mattered?

I can believe that a lousy local doctor might contract to the local ICE facility. Good ones don't have to.

But good grief, how many women with medical problems are in that facility? Can't be that many, can it?
MouthBQ98
AG
So are we going to quit providing major medical care? Sounds like a doctor problem, not an immigration enforcement problem.
OaklandAg06
AG
Skeptical of this as well. Hysterectomy is a major procedure, there would be others involved as well- nurses, anesthesiologist, other professionals. Plus significant surgical facilities. Plus prolonged post op care. My MIL had one and she was down for count for several weeks afterward. And she didn't even have any complications, it just took that long to remotely recover. I have a hard time believing ICE has a doctor/doctors performing A major procedure like that in conjunction with ICE detention centers. To be fair I haven't clicked the article or looked up more yet, but just an initial gut reaction to the claim.
Fat Black Swan
AG
Yep.

Are there any inpatient surgery centers operated by ICE?

Isn't medical consent with translation required for any medical procedure performed in the US?

Why would ICE spend millions on complex, unnecessary surgeries on non-citizens against their will?

Why would doctors, nurses, and anesthesiologists go along with it?
aggiehawg
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

Skeptical of this as well. Hysterectomy is a major procedure, there would be others involved as well- nurses, anesthesiologist, other professionals. Plus significant surgical facilities. Plus prolonged post op care. My MIL had one and she was down for count for several weeks afterward. And she didn't even have any complications, it just took that long to remotely recover. I have a hard time believing ICE has a doctor/doctors performing A major procedure like that in conjunction with ICE detention centers. To be fair I haven't clicked the article or looked up more yet, but just an initial gut reaction to the claim.
Agree. I have all of my ladybits intact but have known a lot of women who medically had to have complete hysterectomies and the recovery time wasn't two or three days. A lot of organs are being removed and cauterized off.
Pelayo
AG
Ag with kids said:

Pelayo said:

Quote:

Abolish ICE

Nah.

Investigate the doctor and can if true
Nah...

It's government run health care. That's what they want, right?
Little do they know that this becomes more common when choice and competition are taken away,,,like it will ultimately in government run HC
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pelayo
AG
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Yep.

Isn't medical consent with translation required for any medical procedure performed in the US?

Why would ICE spend millions on complex, unnecessary surgeries on non-citizens against their will?

I hear similar allegations about surgeons in our larger community from nurses and competing surgeons.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TRADUCTOR
Illegal Mexicans getting free major surgery/ free healthcare.

Does not even register on the crazy meter anymore.
HollyB83
It sounds like a great start. No anchor babies. Should have been mandatory 35 years ago.
B-1 83
AG
OP loves child trafficking, heroine/meth/illegal drugs, and the other things ICE fights. OP also doesn't know what ICE really does.

Come to think of it, OP doesn't know what "mass" means.
Not Coach Jimbo
Someone hinted at this earlier... but to put it more bluntly.

Why the **** are my tax dollars paying for ANY surgeries of non citizens?

If they have a life threatening situation then stabilize them and do the minimum necessary before letting their own country take over.
TxTarpon
Wait, what?
I thought civil incarcerated undocumented people held in private prisons did not receive free healthcare?
This LaSalle company is charging taxpayers how much?
They have a HQ in Dripping Spring, Texas.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
TxTarpon

Quote:

Why the **** are my tax dollars paying for ANY surgeries of non citizens?
The private prison company can charge taxpayers for their care.
I heard $400/head/per day some time back.
Pay up sucker.

But rejoice since if true, then mass sterilizations of poors is a good thing for the next 20 years right?
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

Waffledynamics
AG
Amazing how this news breaks as Trump is rising for Latinos.
TxTarpon
Si
If it happened under the last administration PMSNBC, CBS, CNN, etc would tout that the administration was providing safe, legal abortions and life saving women's healthcare.

-BarronVonAwesome

Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Maybe they were responding to all the "Mass Hysteria" in the most sensible way.

Seriously though, one malpractice mistake by a doctor does not = "mass" hysterectomies.

UTExan
So what? Medical mistakes happen. She likely would not have received any decent medical care in her home country. Here she gets it free.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
I should be studying 11
AG
Pelayo said:

Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Yep.

I hear similar allegations about surgeons in our larger community from nurses and competing surgeons.
Can you expound on that?
TxTarpon
Yeah, what does he mean?

-BarronVonAwesome

chevy con queso
AG
aggiehawg said:

OaklandAg06 said:

Agree. I have all of my ladybits intact but have known a lot of women who medically had to have complete hysterectomies and the recovery time wasn't two or three days. A lot of organs are being removed and cauterized off.
My wife had to have several fibroids removed from her uterus. We took her home the day after the surgery, which was a pretty rough car ride for 3 hours since every little bump was causing her a lot of pain. I cared for her for about a week afterward until she could do simple things like going to the restroom on her own. I'm not so sure that an ovary would necessarily cause this much care, but a full on remove the uterus hysterectomy, probably.

My biggest question here though isn't about recovery time, it's about whether or not this type of surgery is even needed. Is a cyst on an ovary life threatening enough that it had to be done in detention? This sure seems like one of those that can wait till you're back in your own home country. We should be doing very basic surgeries on the taxpayer dime like appendix and something else that can kill you if not treated in a matter of hours or a few days.
japantiger
S
If she wasn't being forced to drink toilet water in a cage while having a forced hysterectomy, then it is not news.

How do we wind up with "public servants" like Swallwell?
TxTarpon
Contracts and money?

-BarronVonAwesome

aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

My biggest question here though isn't about recovery time, it's about whether or not this type of surgery is even needed. Is a cyst on an ovary life threatening enough that it had to be done in detention? This sure seems like one of those that can wait till you're back in your own home country. We should be doing very basic surgeries on the taxpayer dime like appendix and something else that can kill you if not treated in a matter of hours or a few days.
An ovarian cyst can be dangerous because it can rupture and cause sepsis. Had that happen to a friend of mind several years back. Not only the pain but she was in ICU for a week or so until they could get the infection under control.

Other ovarian cysts can be treated with hormones and disappear on their own without further medical intervention. That's the kind I had.

So it just depends.
TarponChaser
Looks like there's good reason to be skeptical of the story OP claims is true.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/ice-hysterectomies-allegations-what-is-the-truth/

aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Here's what we know. An alphabet soup of advocacy organizations (Project South, Georgia Detention Watch, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, South Georgia Immigrant Support Network, Government Accountability Project) teamed up to file an administrative complaint with the Department of Homeland Security, ICE, and the Irwin County, Ga., ICE Detention Center (ICDC). Much of the complaint is the routine stuff of prison litigation, with a COVID-19 overlay: complaints about the Irwin County Detention Center's provision of medical services and sanitary conditions in light of the pandemic. The entire complaint focuses on a single detention center; it does not allege events at other ICE facilities, although it takes aim at LaSalle Corrections, the private prison company that runs ICDC, and asks for an investigation of ICDC "as well as all other LaSalle operated facilities."

The complaint is based on the on-the-record allegations of Dawn Wooten, a whistleblowing nurse at ICDC, and a bunch of unnamed, unidentified sources interviewed by the advocacy groups.

Wooten submitted a sworn declaration that is quoted in the complaint but, so far as I can tell, not posted on the Internet with the complaint.

The allegations about hysterectomies do not appear at all in Project South's press release on the complaint, and are not found until page 19 of the 27-page complaint.

This is not how one would ordinarily handle an allegation of sensational misconduct if it was supported by substantial evidence.
The most eye-popping quotes come from a source identified only as "one woman" who was interviewed "at the Irwin County Detention Center" in October 2019, with no further information as to what connection she may have to ICDC:
Quote:

Several immigrant women have reported to Project South their concerns about how many women have received a hysterectomy while detained at ICDC. One woman told Project South in 2019 that Irwin sends many women to see a particular gynecologist outside the facility but that some women did not trust him. She also stated that "a lot of women here go through a hysterectomy" at ICDC . . . The woman told Project South that it was as though the women were "trying to tell themselves it's going to be OK." She further said: "When I met all these women who had had surgeries, I thought this was like an experimental concentration camp. It was like they're experimenting with our bodies."

Sure sounds like an unsubstantiated claim to me.
Pelayo
AG
I should be studying 11 said:

Pelayo said:

Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Yep.

Can you expound on that?
A common way to gossip and disparage a surgeon is to claim they do too many surgeries.

Another is infection rate.

Sitting on medical exec I've investigated these. Always bunk.
Charpie
AG
Maybe some legs?

Quote:

According to the statement, Amin operated on two detained women who were referred to the hospital for hysterectomies. Heath Clark, the hospital's general counsel, did not respond to questions about whether Amin performed hysterectomies in cases where the women had a different initial referral. Clark also did not say how many other procedures he had performed that could jeopardize a woman's ability to have children, including the removal of fallopian tubes or ovaries.
CanyonAg77
AG
Charpie said:

Maybe some legs?

Quote:

According to the statement, Amin operated on two detained women who were referred to the hospital for hysterectomies. Heath Clark, the hospital's general counsel, did not respond to questions about whether Amin performed hysterectomies in cases where the women had a different initial referral. Clark also did not say how many other procedures he had performed that could jeopardize a woman's ability to have children, including the removal of fallopian tubes or ovaries.

Wait, a gynecologist preformed hysterectomies on cases that were referred to him?

THE HORROR!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.