New Zealand- 100 Days no Covid cases

4,692 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by beerad12man
_mpaul
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beerosch said:

Being an island nation with only a few million people makes it a lot easier.
That is not composed of 50 theoretical independent states, each with its own set of laws and political bodies making decisions, and probably doesn't not have a federal government of (theoretically) limited power.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Shanked Punt said:

TarponChaser said:

New Zealand is an island with a smaller population than the greater Houston area (approx. 7MM in Houston; 5MM In NZ) and a density of like 48 people per square mile (Houston is approx 3600/sq mile). They are also a healthier society as a whole due to diet and exercise in their climate.

The idea that their largely homogeneous nation (72% white and 25% Maori/Pacific Islander) has an approach which could be replicated in the USA is ludicrous. Just patently absurd.
The population density of Aukland is far larger the Houston.
A - you misspelled Auckland
B - not by much - 4400/sq. mi. inside Loop 610 versus 6300/sq. mi. for Auckland. Also, AKL has a gigantic harbour right in the middle of it.
C - if you're convinced population density is a major factor, please explain the role it has played with COVID-19 infections/deaths in
  • Seoul (42,000/sq. mi.)
  • Singapore (21,000/sq. mi.)
  • Tokyo (16,000/sq. mi.)
I was in Tokyo in February 2020 when there was a cruise ship in Quarantine in Yokohama and the trains were just as busy as ever.

In February, voluntary mask wearing was at about 60% (with no government intervention). On a regular day in Tokyo, mask wearing is about 10% (note, completely anecdotal observations during my numerous business trips to Japan during the past decade).
HollywoodBQ
AG
coconutED said:

Great, now do Sweden:
Quote:

Covid hit Stockholm like a storm in mid-March. One day I was seeing people with appendicitis and kidney stones, the usual things you see in the emergency room. The next day all those patients were gone and the only thing coming in to the hospital was covid. Practically everyone who was tested had covid, regardless of what the presenting symtom was. People came in with a nose bleed and they had covid. They came in with stomach pain and they had covid.

Then, after a few months, all the covid patients disappeared. It is now four months since the start of the pandemic, and I haven't seen a single covid patient in over a month. When I do test someone because they have a cough or a fever, the test invariably comes back negative. At the peak three months back, a hundred people were dying a day of covid in Sweden, a country with a population of ten million. We are now down to around five people dying per day in the whole country, and that number continues to drop. Since people generally die around three weeks after infection, that means virtually no-one is getting infected any more.
Quote:

Sweden ripped the metaphorical band-aid off quickly and got the epidemic over and done with in a short amount of time, while the rest of the world has chosen to try to peel the band-aid off slowly. At present that means Sweden has one of the highest total death rates in the world. But covid is over in Sweden.
How bad is covid really? (A Swedish doctor's perspective)
Thanks for sharing that article. Gives great perspective on the sheer mathematics of the thing.
Virus very harmful if you're probably going to die this year anyway.
Virus very inconsequential for everyone else.
Earl_Rudder
AG
OverSeas AG said:

Most of the people that believe we can replicate what NZ has done also believe Marx was a saint and actually came up with a working political construct, they believe Che was an accomplished revolutionary, Obama is intelligent, ANTIFA isn't real, BLM isn't marxists, riots and protests don't spread the Rona, and masks are making a difference.

So yea... there Is a lot of stupid out there.
I think you and I just became best friends.
HollywoodBQ
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Island completely isolated and locks down longer than the duration of the the virus. Surprise! It runs its course and is gone. If they have tourism again in the next year, it will be back.
Yep.

On thing that New Zealand does better than any other country in the world is Border Security.
Especially Biosecurity.

I've never been to Israel but I'd guess they do a decent job of Border Security. But I have been to NZ a few times and they do not mess around.

The USA could learn a few lessons from NZ with respect to Border Security and Biosecurity but nobody's willing to talk about that.

You know what would be cold-blooded is if Trump praised Jacinda Ardern and then asked New Zealand to send their head of Border Security over to write a new plan for the USA.

Liberal heads would explode once they read the recommendations from New Zealand.

And they'd be forced to choose between following a strong female leader versus continuing open borders.
MaroonStain
AG
Shanked Punt said:

TarponChaser said:

New Zealand is an island with a smaller population than the greater Houston area (approx. 7MM in Houston; 5MM In NZ) and a density of like 48 people per square mile (Houston is approx 3600/sq mile). They are also a healthier society as a whole due to diet and exercise in their climate.

The idea that their largely homogeneous nation (72% white and 25% Maori/Pacific Islander) has an approach which could be replicated in the USA is ludicrous. Just patently absurd.

Less dense or more dense? Density isn't large nor small. It is mass within a space. Could also be termed high or low.

Just trying to help you, bud.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
policywonk98
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Island completely isolated and locks down longer than the duration of the the virus. Surprise! It runs its course and is gone. If they have tourism again in the next year, it will be back.
Yep.

On thing that New Zealand does better than any other country in the world is Border Security.
Especially Biosecurity.

I've never been to Israel but I'd guess they do a decent job of Border Security. But I have been to NZ a few times and they do not mess around.

The USA could learn a few lessons from NZ with respect to Border Security and Biosecurity but nobody's willing to talk about that.

You know what would be cold-blooded is if Trump praised Jacinda Ardern and then asked New Zealand to send their head of Border Security over to write a new plan for the USA.

Liberal heads would explode once they read the recommendations from New Zealand.

And they'd be forced to choose between following a strong female leader versus continuing open borders.

That would be awesome. We could learn a thing or two about ending farm subsidies from the Kiwis as well.
RebelE Infantry
AG
And they have live sports with attendance up to 40k. Clearly rugby is the antidote to COVID.

Btw if you're tired of football nonsense, pick up ESPN+ and watch the rugby matches.
RulesForTheeNotForMe
AG
Shamelessly bumping my own thread.

The original article aged poorly.... took less than 24-hours to fall on it's face.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Aust Ag
AG
RulesForTheNotForMe said:

Shamelessly bumping my own thread.

The original article aged poorly.... took less than 24-hours to fall on it's face.
What happened?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/new-zealand-s-largest-city-goes-back-lockdown-coronavirus-cases-n1236484

New cases have shown up
beerad12man
AG
Shanked Punt said:

TarponChaser said:

And yet they did another lockdown in Aukland just recently. No thanks. We on the other hand are likely at our downward trend having built up some immunity, meaning no more lockdowns for the foreseeable future. If ever. the only ones suffering now are bar owners.

They might be doing periodic lockdowns and restricting travel for years if they are trying to eradicate this thing as opposed to doing what's logical, and what will likely eventually have to be done. And that's learn to live with it.

Again, all this for an island. If Texas was an island, how do you think we would have done?

100% would go swedens route, and even our route, over New Zealands.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.