New Zealand- 100 Days no Covid cases

4,687 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by beerad12man
RulesForTheeNotForMe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/new-zealand-makes-100-days-of-being-coronavirus-free/285-16e1eaaa-30ad-49c3-8094-ee627905dda5

"It was good science and great political leadership that made the difference," said professor Michael Baker, an epidemiologist at the University of Otago. "If you look around the globe at countries that have done well, it's usually that combination."
From early on, New Zealand pursued a bold strategy of eliminating the virus rather than just suppressing its spread. Baker said other countries are increasingly looking to New Zealand for answers.
"The whole Western World has terribly mismanaged this threat, and they're realizing this now," Baker said.

This article could be the dumbest take on Covid public policy I've ever read. Comparing how an Island Nation can control a virus to countries that are landlocked or have any land borders is idiotic. Additionally, these people unknowingly are making Trump's case for a wall even more strong.

Media- Your "hit pieces" on Trump are only reinforcing that his policies by-and-large are correct. And apparently his racist "Chinese ban" wasn't racist enough.
45-70Ag
AG
Are they testing anyone in New Zealand?
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Did their govt incentivize "covid deaths" 3x over like our idiot show govt did?

Are they tallying fake inflated numbers the way we are here?
“Picture a black girl that joe biden wants to sniff”

-The Debt
Beerosch
AG
Being an island nation with only a few million people makes it a lot easier.
That_Guy_Moose
AG
45-70Ag said:

Are they testing anyone in New Zealand?

They tested 4,200 people yesterday.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases
powerbelly
AG
Beerosch said:

Being an island nation with only a few million people makes it a lot easier.

This
zoneag
You mean an island nation in a very far-flung location with a small population is having a better time controlling an outbreak of an infectious virus? I know the implication here is that this left-wing president in New Zealand is so wonderful and if only Trump was as smart as she is we'd have no cases in the United States. Throw in the fact that said left winger is disarming her citizens and you can see why our leftists here love her.
doubledog
New Zealand has one of the strictest immigration law of any nation.

So if I read the article correctly to stop Covid-19 we need to stop all immigration and close the boarders.
IronRed13
AG
Apples to potatoes to compare to NZ. I loved traveling that country but there were a few days where we maybe interacted with 5 people. More sheep than people and Pop density of ~40/sq mile. Social distancing is just natural there along with natural immigration wall of being a freakin island.
TarponChaser
New Zealand is an island with a smaller population than the greater Houston area (approx. 7MM in Houston; 5MM In NZ) and a density of like 48 people per square mile (Houston is approx 3600/sq mile). They are also a healthier society as a whole due to diet and exercise in their climate.

The idea that their largely homogeneous nation (72% white and 25% Maori/Pacific Islander) has an approach which could be replicated in the USA is ludicrous. Just patently absurd.
TexAgs91
AG
Well it's simple. The virus dies off in the heat. So in the summer you're going to see hotspots in the US along the south.

And in New Zealand, where it's cool during our summer, they aren't going to have any cases.

Make sense?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Maroon Dawn
AG
Isn't it amazing how the only cure for COVID is Communism?
astros4545
AG
Antarctica also has extremely low case rate as well. What are they doing differently than us to produce such great results?
BigRobSA
Fiji also has zero cases, IIRC.

How does such a huge, landlocked nation.....oh, wait.....
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
RulesForTheeNotForMe
AG
I believe the virus die off in the Summer ideology only really applies to places that have tolerable summers. If it's too hot, everyone stays indoors which aids in spreading. If it's tolerable, people enjoy being outside and by human nature, they socially distance (to be active you can't be on top of each other).

I think virus spreads entirely based on regional climate conditions due to how the weather dictates where people spend their time (indoor vs outdoors).
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Fightin_Aggie
AG
All they did was shut down travel to a small island nation that has very little international trade or business then make everyone quarantine.

You still can't go there if you wanted to.

The second Trump shut down travel from China he was racist and the screaming marksists were Out the hugging and French kissing them some COVID

The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
policywonk98
AG
How do people consider New Zealand impressive?

Vermont has had the same number of cases and only about 50 deaths.

About 30 million people are surrounding and within 5 hour driving distance of Vermont, who did not close themselves off completely from those 30 million people. The southern border of VT is less than 200 miles from one of the world's largest clustered outbreaks of Covid.

Now that's impressive.

Wyoming has nearly the same death count as New Zealand. They shut down very little and closed themselves off to nobody. In fact, theyve had tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people from across the country streaming into their national parks all summer. Just Wyoming shares an open, drivable border with states populated with 12 million people.

Now that's impressive.

An island nation in the middle of the ocean? Progressives Please!
redd38
AG
1000 days, no positive cases in my apartment
BigRobSA
policywonk98 said:

How do people consider New Zealand impressive?

Vermont has had the same number of cases and only about 50 deaths.

About 30 million people are surrounding and within 5 hour driving distance of Vermont, who did not close themselves off completely from those 30 million people. The southern border of VT is less than 200 miles from one of the world's largest clustered outbreaks of Covid.

Now that's impressive.

Wyoming has nearly the same death count as New Zealand. They shut down very little and closed themselves off to nobody. In fact, theyve had tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people from across the country streaming into their national parks all summer. Just Wyoming shares an open, drivable border with states populated with 12 million people.

Now that's impressive.

An island nation in the middle of the ocean? Progressives Please!
All of those people are Trumpian Trumpy McTrumpsters. They don't count! </media>
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
BigRobSA
redd38 said:

My hotel room has been COVID free for almost two months now. Before that, my crib.

Now, I can't say that it has been ho-free that long.
Post removed:
by user
TefIon Don
AG
Close our border with Mexico, and our numbers drop dramatically.
BigRobSA
Vader Was Framed said:

BigRobSA said:

redd38 said:

My hotel room has been COVID free for almost two months now. Before that, my crib.

Now, I can't say that it has been ho-free that long.

Now do the hotel room and use a black light. Who hit the ceiling?
Being that my head is like 6" from the ceiling......me?
Shanked Punt
TarponChaser said:

New Zealand is an island with a smaller population than the greater Houston area (approx. 7MM in Houston; 5MM In NZ) and a density of like 48 people per square mile (Houston is approx 3600/sq mile). They are also a healthier society as a whole due to diet and exercise in their climate.

The idea that their largely homogeneous nation (72% white and 25% Maori/Pacific Islander) has an approach which could be replicated in the USA is ludicrous. Just patently absurd.

The population density of Aukland is far larger the Houston.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
They're hiding the fact that more than 45,000 hobbits died from it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Shanked Punt said:

TarponChaser said:

Auckland's population density is 3,133.9 per square mile
Houston's population density is 3,842 per square mile
Aust Ag
AG
Teflon Don. said:

Close our border with Mexico, and our numbers drop dramatically.
Where's Texas' hotspots again?
TarponChaser
MuckRaker96 said:

Shanked Punt said:

TarponChaser said:

Auckland's population density is 3,133.9 per square mile
Houston's population density is 3,842 per square mile

Shanked another one.

But also ignores the real factor which was locking down the borders.
wyoag93
AG
BLM has spread the Chinese virus (and Chinese communist values) more than anything else in America. New Zealand doesn't have to deal with that *****
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

They're hiding the fact that more than 45,000 hobbits died from it.

The Scouring of the Shire, indeed.
coconutED
AG
Great, now do Sweden:
Quote:

Covid hit Stockholm like a storm in mid-March. One day I was seeing people with appendicitis and kidney stones, the usual things you see in the emergency room. The next day all those patients were gone and the only thing coming in to the hospital was covid. Practically everyone who was tested had covid, regardless of what the presenting symtom was. People came in with a nose bleed and they had covid. They came in with stomach pain and they had covid.

Then, after a few months, all the covid patients disappeared. It is now four months since the start of the pandemic, and I haven't seen a single covid patient in over a month. When I do test someone because they have a cough or a fever, the test invariably comes back negative. At the peak three months back, a hundred people were dying a day of covid in Sweden, a country with a population of ten million. We are now down to around five people dying per day in the whole country, and that number continues to drop. Since people generally die around three weeks after infection, that means virtually no-one is getting infected any more.
Quote:

Sweden ripped the metaphorical band-aid off quickly and got the epidemic over and done with in a short amount of time, while the rest of the world has chosen to try to peel the band-aid off slowly. At present that means Sweden has one of the highest total death rates in the world. But covid is over in Sweden.
How bad is covid really? (A Swedish doctor's perspective)
captkirk
AG
TequilaMockingbird
In pictures I've seen accompanying the articles, NOBODY is wearing a mask.
MouthBQ98
AG
Island completely isolated and locks down longer than the duration of the the virus. Surprise! It runs its course and is gone. If they have tourism again in the next year, it will be back.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.