college players trying to unionize. laughable

6,124 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Owlagdad
O'Doyle Rules
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The amount of entitlement among kids 18-22 is astounding. The content I read online is unreal to stay the least. Do they not realize that all universities can cancel any university affiliated D1 sport at anytime once it goes into the red? Im just blown away by their thinking. Brady Quinn recently went off on this idea against unions and hes exactly right. This is not even mentioning the fact that most are given a scholarship to play said sports. but dont mind that...if they arent getting a direct deposit into their bank account it doesnt count as being paid right??

I realize 19 year olds' brains arent fully developed yet but wow. just wow.
DallasAg 94
UTExan
Pac 12 commissioner just POd the athletes there by "thanking" and promising nothing.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Madman
AG
I wish the NFL had a farm system like baseball. It would take a lot of the great HS players away from college but make the college game better in my opinion.

We could get back to actual student athletics.
pfo
AG
It's the loyalty/love of the alumni/former students, students and friends of each university that's the rare commodity, not the players. The players change every year but we don't.

If every current BCS player quit tomorrow and were replaced by current students, would you go to the A&M vs LSU this year?I sure as Hell would! Because it's still beating LSU alongside my wife and friends.

If our entire team quit and became the semipro Waco Dragons would you go see them play? I wouldn't.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
bunch of clowns who ultimately dont know their place. hard lessons.
Burdizzo
AG
It is going to be hard to have a union when you have an attention span of a 20-year-old and you're only eligible to be in the union for less than five years.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
O'Doyle Rules said:

What is their place?
BigRobSA
TXK said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

What is their place?
Students, getting a world-class education for free....all for playing a ****ing game.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
O'Doyle Rules
AG
The players literally picked the worst year ever to try and think they are more important than their full ride scholarships (most people would LOVE just that!). Americans are realizing they can get outdoors and turn the tv off....not pay out the ass to attend a football game...in the midst of this pandemic. really well thought out guys.

redass89
O'Doyle Rules said:

The players literally picked the worst year ever to try and think they are more important than their full ride scholarships (most people would LOVE just that!). Americans are realizing they can get outdoors and turn the tv off....not pay out the ass to attend a football game...in the midst of this pandemic. really well thought out guys.

Truth. I'm plum wore out from this ***** Looking forward to golfing more and getting back on a lease.
Gradaggie05
AG
They could show a little gratitude for their obvious blessings in life.

They are literally born with athletic ability, for which they are worshipped.

Buck Turgidson
I'm past ready to burn the whole ****ing system down, remove all athletic scholarships and start over with true student athletes. The skill level won't be the same but so what? I enjoy the high school games at my kids school more than today's corrupt college games anyway.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
Literally anti-American and anti-capitalist. You get what you can command in the market. Past time for the players to get what they're worth. Jealousy and paternalism are evil.
aggie appraiser
I watch college sports instead of pro sports because of the money in pro sports. I can watch high school sports instead of college sports if they start acting like the pro's.
BigRobSA
TXK said:

Literally anti-American and anti-capitalist. You get what you can command in the market. Past time for the players to get what they're worth. Jealousy and paternalism are evil.

They are getting what they're worth. Free education, books for that education, a room to sleep in, food/drink to nourish their bodies and world-class medical care should they be injured.

If they want to join a union for their game, drop out of school and put their name in the hat for the NFL, NBA, or whatever sport they play, If not, shut the **** up and go to class or a meal (both for free.....you're welcome, ingrates).
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
aggie appraiser
BigRobSA said:

TXK said:

They are getting what they're worth. Free education, books for that education, a room to sleep in, food/drink to nourish their bodies and world-class medical care should they be injured.

If they want to join a union for their game, drop out of school and put their name in the hat for the NFL, NBA, or whatever sport they play, If not, shut the **** up and go to class or a meal (both for free.....you're welcome, ingrates).

Don't forget all the training at top flight facilities.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Tutoring and a stipend too
AgDotCom
TXK said:

Deciding to spend my money elsewhere is anti-capitalist? It's 100 percent capitalist.

If players want to get paid, I won't stand in their way. Likewise, they won't stand in my way when I pay to watch amateur sports elsewhere. What's the problem?
geoag58
AG
TXK said:

No, I am not happy with the free market offering for my entertainment dollar so I am going to exercise my right as a free market consumer and spend my money elsewhere.
Dad
AG
pfo said:

It's the loyalty/love of the alumni/former students, students and friends of each university that's the rare commodity, not the players. The players change every year but we don't.

If every current BCS player quit tomorrow and were replaced by current students, would you go to the A&M vs LSU this year?I sure as Hell would! Because it's still beating LSU alongside my wife and friends.

If our entire team quit and became the semipro Waco Dragons would you go see them play? I wouldn't.

I agree.

It is not the best brand of football and can't compete with the NFL on quality so I don't think the fans would go anywhere if all the 4 and 5 stars went to the NFL D-league and the two and three stars played college football. I would also have zero interest in seeing any NFL developmental league football.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
TXK said:

ok. lets say all the voluntary donations to the athletic dept dry up from former alumni ( which the athletic dept highly depends on year over year). uh oh. we have a problem. Just another poster who knows nothing about the real world , just spews the SJW movement without real facts or knowledge. Back in your parents' basement for more research.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
No. Then YOU might have a problem but they'll go and play professionally somewhere.

Your boss should just tell you to be grateful next time you're passed over for a raise.
RulesForTheeNotForMe
AG
The ONLY thing I would entertain would be a school subsidized Insurance Policy for each player. Solely due to no other real avenue to NFL than through 3 years of NCAA.

Requirements:
3rd Party "appraiser" evaluates the athlete and gives them their "current market value price" (think employer sponsored Life insurance)
Evaluations are done yearly (Or at athletes request at their own expense)
Any additional insurance $ that is requested is fully the players responsibility to pay for (think excess Employee paid Life Insurance)
Policy's are only payable due to Career altering injuries (Willis McGahee type injuries, not sprained ankles)

Only 1-2% of all these players will ever play at the next level. That's a reality that they need to start realizing, and many of these players NPV's on those "appraisals" will start at about $10. So their $40-60k/year scholarship might start seeming a bit more attractive.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
TXK said:

No. Then YOU might have a problem but they'll go and play professionally somewhere.

Your boss should just tell you to be grateful next time you're passed over for a raise.

please tell me more about the 100% of athletes who go on to play professional sports and get paid after receiving full ride scholarships
Ag4coal
TXK said:

His boss won't tell him that, because he likely works in the private sector that doens't have 100% share of a unique market. In addition, it is unlikely that his (hopefully) highly profitable company doesn't have to be the life jacket for 43 other failing companies (read all women's sports and all other men's sports outside of basketball).

If college football was it's own beast, you'd have a point. If you want to get rid of Title IX, you'd have a point. As it is, there isn't some massive abundance of profit that isn't being reinvested back into sports across the board. Sorry football players, but you support your undesirable counterparts. And if you'd like to argue against that, you're a sexist. Congrats.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Ag4coal said:

TXK said:

His boss won't tell him that, because he likely works in the private sector that doens't have 100% share of a unique market. In addition, it is unlikely that his (hopefully) highly profitable company doesn't have to be the life jacket for 43 other failing companies (read all women's sports and all other men's sports outside of basketball).

If college football was it's own beast, you'd have a point. If you want to get rid of Title IX, you'd have a point. As it is, there isn't some massive abundance of profit that isn't being reinvested back into sports across the board. Sorry football players, but you support your undesirable counterparts. And if you'd like to argue against that, you're a sexist. Congrats.

Oops. Its the other part of the equation TXK didnt want to bring up. Economics and equity is a ***** isnt it?
RulesForTheeNotForMe
AG
Another thing to note and I genuinely am interested in seeing how this all unfolds in the next 8-10 years. Professional players are paid by the owners because those players make the owners money by bringing people to the games, buying crap, etc.

If these athletes continue to crap on the people who by and large are the consumers of their product, the money dries up. Those who have contracts that are expiring in the next 2-3 years (or any college player about to enter the professional realm) they are going to be entering a market that is getting gutted currently with a horrible outlook. Those $100 million/ long term contracts... kiss those good bye. With this volatility, look for $1-2 year contracts being the new normal with a lot less guaranteed $.

It's like professional sports is getting to experience an O&G price collapse. Welcome to the pain.
Ag4coal
RulesForTheNotForMe said:

Another thing to note and I genuinely am interested in seeing how this all unfolds in the next 8-10 years. Professional players are paid by the owners because those players make the owners money by bringing people to the games, buying crap, etc.

If these athletes continue to crap on the people who by and large are the consumers of their product, the money dries up. Those who have contracts that are expiring in the next 2-3 years (or any college player about to enter the professional realm) they are going to be entering a market that is getting gutted currently with a horrible outlook. Those $100 million/ long term contracts... kiss those good bye. With this volatility, look for $1-2 year contracts being the new normal with a lot less guaranteed $.

It's like professional sports is getting to experience an O&G price collapse. Welcome to the pain.

We can hope. Maybe i'll actually start watching the NFL again
mjfrog
AG
Solid gold participation trophies or GTFO
AggieMD95
AG
pfo said:

This is exactly right ; blue star
Faustus
Well hopefully colleges can lobby for an anti-trust exemption (given how many other avenues there are for 18-21 year old football players to ply their trade) excepting the schools from anti-trust law so the schools can prevent labor from being paid despite the monopoly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2020/05/06/why-congress-would-be-crazy-to-grant-the-ncaa-an-antitrust-exemption/amp/
Daddy
AG
In truth college football players and college bball players should get paid and girls sports short of a few should all be non scholarship. No money

Now let's see the men take on women scholarships and title 9

I'll get my popcorn
The Return of the Fightin' Texas Aggies
diamondag
Are there any accountants on here that can explain how getting paid would change their tax status and if getting paid to play would mean paying taxes on not just the stipen but all fringe benefit values

I don't know if work study is a taxable income or considered some kind of scholarship and if this would be considered work study
Faustus
diamondag said:

Are there any accountants on here that can explain how getting paid would change their tax status and if getting paid to play would mean paying taxes on not just the stipen but all fringe benefit values

I don't know if work study is a taxable income or considered some kind of scholarship and if this would be considered work study

I don't know how this is some sort of gotcha. Just have the school withhold taxes from their paychecks in the direct pay scenario.

Moreover virtually all scholarship and grant money is tax free. If they get paid 20-30k in addition to their scholarships the taxes are virtually nothing. For all I know they might get refunds for making that little.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.