New Postmaster slows down mail and overhauls postal leadership

10,221 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Vader Was Framed
Carolin_Gallego
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.postaltimes.com/postalnews/meet-the-new-boss-better-than-the-old-boss/
Quote:

Overtime will be eliminated. Again we are paying too much in OT. If the plants run late they will keep the mail for the next day. If you get mail and your carriers are gone and you cannot get the mail out without OT it will remain for the next day.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/511138-new-postmaster-general-overhauls-usps-leadership-amid-probe-into-mail
Quote:

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy announced an overhaul of the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) on Friday, removing the top two officials in charge of day-to-day operations as Democrats in Washington call for an investigation into changes that have slowed mail delivery.

According to a new organizational chart released by USPS, 23 postal executives were reassigned or displaced and five staffers joined the agency's leadership from other positions.

Interesting changes while we are seeing a massive surge in mail-in voting across the U.S. during a pandemic and less than 100 days till the general election. Things that make you go Hmmmmm. I have heard people express concerns about states that are expanding mail-in voting having a capable infrastructure to support the change. The Executive branch may be trying to make that reality a certainty.
BigRobSA
There is no valid reason to not be voting like regular.

Heaven forbid someone try and curtail spending at the USPS.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Ag87H2O
AG
Carolin_Gallego said:

Interesting changes while we are seeing a massive surge in mail-in voting across the U.S. during a pandemic and less than 100 days till the general election. Things that make you go Hmmmmm. I have heard people express concerns about states that are expanding mail-in voting having a capable infrastructure to support the change. The Executive branch may be trying to make that reality a certainty.
No, not really.
Post removed:
by user
Bird Poo
AG
If the media is squealing then I'm all for it.
TxSquarebody
Dismantle the whole damn thing and rebuild without unions. Anything else is a band-aid at best.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
The USPS is the most inefficient bureaucracy in America.
LostInLA07
AG
I check the mail once every other week at most. Almost all of it goes directly to the trash. It is really a chore to have to empty the mailbox more than a service I need. Sometimes I just don't check it for a month or so based on the daily emails with images of what's in the mail. When you take that approach the USPS just takes all the mail out of the mailbox for you and send it back to whoever sent it.
Trucker 96
Our mail service sucks so bad. I cringe when I order a product and realize it's going to end up being delivered by USPS.

Blow it all up
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
YouBet
AG
Democrats are mad at about it? This must be an exceptional development for the country then.
hunter2012
AG
good news, the only constitutional function of government that I'm fine letting private sector take over.
BanderaAg956
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

The USPS is the most inefficient bureaucracy in America.

The VA says, hold this 180 day regular visit schedule and watch this!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
aggiefan09
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Our mail service sucks so bad. I cringe when I order a product and realize it's going to end up being delivered by USPS.

Blow it all up

I'm the opposite. I love when I get packages through USPS, consistently 1-2 days ahead of scheduled delivery. UPS on the other hand I get it 1-2 days after the supposed delivery estimate.
Trucker 96
Well, maybe yours knows what they're doing. My band of idiots are never early, you can count on it being late half the time, and be ready to check with your neighbors to see if they got it
Icecream_Ag
S
aggiefan09 said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Blow it all up

I'm the opposite. I love when I get packages through USPS, consistently 1-2 days ahead of scheduled delivery. UPS on the other hand I get it 1-2 days after the supposed delivery estimate.
usps consistently delivers to my apartment office instead of my door, even though they know the office doesn't want deliveries there. They also mark all of my packages as delivered to resident but never knock on the door.

UPS has been even worse as they'll mark packages as undeliverable even though our gates have been open for all but 3 months of the 5 years I've lived in these apartments.

FedEx and Amazon shipping have been nails though.
Gilligan
AG
Our postman "Phil" is awesome. Does USPS need to be overhauled or given to the private sector? YES!

We like our mailman though.
LostInLA07
AG
I'll pay extra to avoid USPS delivery. They mark packages delivered days before they actually arrive, and that's usually because they leave them at the wrong house and a neighbor has to complete the "last mile" delivery for them.
MostlyHarmless
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Dismantle the whole damn thing and rebuild without unions. Anything else is a band-aid at best.
Unions are definitely part of the problem but they aren't the only part. Management is terrible of course but they also have an issue with compartmentalization. Decisions are being made that are wasteful but there are only repercussions if it affects the department making the decision. If the cost gets passed on to another department then it's fine and there are no repercussions. There are very few incentives to be efficient.

But probably the biggest issue is that the USPS is heavily regulated by the government even though it is not federally funded. To make almost any major change to the USPS literally takes an act of Congress. Best thing that could happen would be to privatize it and eliminate most if not all of the federal restrictions on it.
TexAgs91
AG
One side cannot unilaterally change how we do elections months before the election. Unless there's a landslide this election will be illegitimate.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
DallasAg 94
Carolin_Gallego
BigRobSA said:

Yes, but they also have a revenue problem too due to the decline in First-Class Mail volume over the years.

Spending can be reduced (without hurting services like the Postmaster General is doing now) by addressing the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act and its ridiculous requirement to pre-fund health benefits for future retirees. (No other business does this.) If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements," the Postal Service would've reported operating profits from 2013 through 2018. (See chart)

Eliminating the strict price cap tied on First-Class Mail, Marketing Mail, and Periodicals would allow the USPS to generate more revenue.

https://about.usps.com/news/delivers-facts/usps-delivers-the-facts.pdf
Post removed:
by user
I Am A Critic
Trump knows he can't win a fair fight. Just another tactic to try and help him start in office. He finally found a steady income stream and can't give it up.
Username checks out.
Post removed:
by user
agent-maroon
AG
Our mail service had been deteriorating of late. Things like skipping days delivered, receiving neighbors mail, grocery ads a week late, etc. Happened to be outside and saw our mail carrier across the street. Actually heard someone talking and looked to see who it was. She was a morbidly obese black woman who either had a pronounced limp or a significant wobble in her gait. I could see/hear that she was huffing & puffing from the demands of walking a couple of blocks. The animated bluetooth headphone conversation she was having rounded out the stereotype. I'm not saying that this woman doesn't deserve a job, but could there be any other reason that they would have hired a person in such poor physical condition to carry mail besides "diversity"?

ETA - they just delivered our Saturday mail 6:05 PM. Can you say overtime?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BigRobSA
Carolin_Gallego said:

BigRobSA said:

Yes, but they also have a revenue problem too due to the decline in First-Class Mail volume over the years.

Spending can be reduced (without hurting services like the Postmaster General is doing now) by addressing the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act and its ridiculous requirement to pre-fund health benefits for future retirees. (No other business does this.) If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements," the Postal Service would've reported operating profits from 2013 through 2018. (See chart)

Eliminating the strict price cap tied on First-Class Mail, Marketing Mail, and Periodicals would allow the USPS to generate more revenue.

Preaching to the choir.

I'm for privatizing the whole thing. Just like education, not something the govt should (still) be doing.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
McInnis
AG
I'm waiting on two packages, one I sent on Jul. 23rd and another sent to me on the 25th. In tracking them both show their initial scans then another update about 3 days later that just says " In transit. Will arrive late", then no updates since then. I don't remember this ever happening before and now twice in the same week.

I suspect there's a lot of disgruntled postal employees slowing things down.
Cassius
aggiefan09 said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Blow it all up

I love it when people drop obvious BS on the board.
Ellis Wyatt
Carolin_Gallego said:

Spending can be reduced (without hurting services like the Postmaster General is doing now) by addressing the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act and its ridiculous requirement to pre-fund health benefits for future retirees. (No other business does this.) If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements," the Postal Service would've reported operating profits from 2013 through 2018.
Why would their liabilities be removed from their financial statement? That's dumb.

You could call the money they owe "income," and on paper they would show profitably, too. It would be a lie, but that doesn't matter, right?
Ellis Wyatt
I Am A Critic said:

Trump knows he can't win a fair fight. Just another tactic to try and help him start in office.
Since when have Democrats ever been in favor of a fair fight? Are we even sure they've quit spying on him?
Cassius
Carolin_Gallego said:

BigRobSA said:

That's a lie that libs keep spouting. They have negative cash flow. This is not an accounting loss.
Carolin_Gallego
Ellis Wyatt said:

Carolin_Gallego said:

Spending can be reduced (without hurting services like the Postmaster General is doing now) by addressing the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act and its ridiculous requirement to pre-fund health benefits for future retirees. (No other business does this.) If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements," the Postal Service would've reported operating profits from 2013 through 2018.
Why would their liabilities be removed from their financial statement? That's dumb.

You could call the money they owe "income," and on paper they would show profitably, too. It would be a lie, but that doesn't matter, right?

No other public or private entity pre-funds 50 years of retiree health benefits. That's dumb. Other federal agencies and private sector companies use a "pay-as-you-go" system, by which the entity pays premiums as they are billed.
jefe95
AG
That's false

Many companies have pension liabilities on their books.

While some have switched, saying this is unique to the post office is bovine scat
Carolin_Gallego
jefe95 said:

That's false

Many companies have pension liabilities on their books.

While some have switched, saying this is unique to the post office is bovine scat

It's True. This GAO report can provide specifics.

Never meant to imply that some companies don't have some pension liabilities on their books, but they definitely don't have 50 years worth on their books. That bovine scat is solely the USPS' Congressionally mandated liability.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.