75 years ago today

5,086 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JABQ04
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Hiroshima on the left from August 6, 1945.

Nagasaki on the right from August 9, 1945.
aTm2004
AG
Romello
I guess you shouldn't f with the USA.
78_Pacecar
AG
"It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it." R.E.L.

"You might as well appeal against a thunderstorm as against these terrible hardships of war. War is cruelty, there is no use trying to reform it; the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over." W.T.S
BigRobSA
Romello said:

Back then? No.

Now? We're wearing masks for a ****ing cold.

Yeah, we're ****ed if someone decides they want to get froggy. The pussified morons in this country would drop to their knees with their mouths open.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Bill Bigfoot
AG
My great uncle was on that mission. The pictures that his tail gunner took that day are still amazing.
Jbob04
AG
BigRobSA said:

Romello said:

Back then? No.

Yeah, we're ****ed if someone decides they want to get froggy. The pussified morons in this country would drop to their knees with their mouths open.

Well said. Our country is softer than its ever been and our enemies are laughing at us
Rapier108
And within a week, Japan surrendered.

'"There was never a moment`s discussion as to whether the atomic bomb should be used or not. To avert a vast, indefinite butchery, to bring the war to an end, to give peace to the world, to lay healing hands upon its tortured peoples by a manifestation of overwhelming power at the cost of a few explosions, seemed, after all our toils and perils, a miracle of deliverance.'' -Winston Churchill
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
oldcrow91
AG
Rapier108 said:

And within a week, Japan surrendered.

'"There was never a moment`s discussion as to whether the atomic bomb should be used or not. To avert a vast, indefinite butchery, to bring the war to an end, to give peace to the world, to lay healing hands upon its tortured peoples by a manifestation of overwhelming power at the cost of a few explosions, seemed, after all our toils and perils, a miracle of deliverance.'' -Winston Churchill

And he is still right! It would have been worth it just for the Japanese lives that were spared because we didn't have to invade.
APHIS AG
Kokura got lucky, Nagasaki did not.
eric76
AG
Bill Bigfoot said:

My great uncle was on that mission. The pictures that his tail gunner took that day are still amazing.
One World War II pilot from around here was reportedly the first pilot to fly over either HIroshima or Nagasaki (I forget which) after the attack was over to get pictures of the devastation.
e=mc2
AG
Thank God for German scientists.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
USA USA USA !!!
Bruce Almighty
AG
By all means, sir, drop that ****er. Twice.
Gunny456
AG
Albeit devastating, the number of lives saved on both sides justified its use.
Japan was preparing to fight to the end. They were already training civilians how to fight to the death to save Japan. The war would have continued for much longer.
And I agree with Big Rob. If we were invaded tomorrow and Trump had to instigate the draft...half of them would instantly make friends with the enemy and the other half would flee to Canada so quick that it would make our immigration problem from Mexico look like a church social.
BQ_90
AG
Was Truman the last Democrat with set a balls.
TexAgs91
AG
Hey, at least it worked and stopped the war. They should be glad they were just little ones

I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Good. Some of the most wicked acts in modern history were committed by them.
eric76
AG
BQ_90 said:

President Kennedy was no slouch.
Smokedraw01
BQ_90 said:

At the time he was considered soft on Communism.
Smokedraw01
Jbob04 said:

BigRobSA said:

Romello said:

Back then? No.

Well said. Our country is softer than its ever been and our enemies are laughing at us

A reoccurring complaint in this country since it's creation.
BQ_90
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

BQ_90 said:

At the time he was considered soft on Communism.
actually that was later on during Korea
Krautag81
The Russian's set one off that was 50 megatons. That's more than 3 times larger than this one.
chimpanzee
APHIS AG said:

The violence of these weapons was shocking and horrific, but even Nagasaki fared well better than it could have. If I recall correctly, the bomb was just enough off target to have some topography deflect the blast somewhat and spare some additional damage.

As a demonstration tool to hasten the surrender it saved lives.

The area bombing of Tokyo and other places for months with conventional bombs and widespread destruction did not lead to surrender.
APHIS AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Jbob04 said:

BigRobSA said:

Romello said:

Back then? No.

So do you think that today's citizens would join together and fight to win a WW II type of war.

I do not think so.

We have to many people that are willing to take a knee.
APHIS AG
chimpanzee said:

APHIS AG said:

The violence of these weapons was shocking and horrific, but even Nagasaki fared well better than it could have. If I recall correctly, the bomb was just enough off target to have some topography deflect the blast somewhat and spare some additional damage.

As a demonstration tool to hasten the surrender it saved lives.

The area bombing of Tokyo and other places for months with conventional bombs and widespread destruction did not lead to surrender.
And I agree 100%. My statement was meant that Kokura was the original target, not Nagasaki.
CanyonAg77
AG
Obligatory we already had a thread

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3128753
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
G Martin 87
AG
Highly recommended, whatever your views on the use of the atom bombs against Japan. This is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History episode about Hiroshima, Nagasaki, the nuclear arms race, and the Cold War.

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-59-the-destroyer-of-worlds/
chickenfingers
AG
Can any history people tell me why they didn't surrender after Hiroshima?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
txagbear
APHIS AG said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Jbob04 said:

BigRobSA said:

Romello said:

Back then? No.

So do you think that today's citizens would join together and fight to win a WW II type of war.

I do not think so.

What are you saying? Our military is full of pusses? I don't think so
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
chickenfingers said:

Can any history people tell me why they didn't surrender after Hiroshima?
I think it took them some time to truly grasp what had happened. Then we hit them again 3 days later at Nagasaki with the Fat Man bomb dropped from the B-29 Bockscar. I've read that there was some thought that we didn't have any more such bombs, not sure the veracity of that.

But you also have to consider that the militarists were in charge in Japan, and this was a nation that had never suffered a defeat in its history to an outside force. This was a nation that had shocked the Russians in 1905 (I think that was the year, but stand to be corrected) by sinking its far eastern fleet. There was not a mindset in the Japanese collective that included surrender. Ultimately, Emperor Hirohito (who should have swung from a rope himself but that's a topic for a separate thread) made a decision to "endure the unendurable" and recorded a message to the Japanese people of the need to accept the Americans' terms of surrender. And yet, there was a group that actually stormed the Emperor's palace, attempting a coup and looking to locate the recording in order to destroy it and prolong the war.

That's my take from the various books that I've read - not a history major but I do love to read about the war.
APHIS AG
txagbear said:

APHIS AG said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Jbob04 said:

BigRobSA said:

Romello said:

Back then? No.

I do not think so.

What are you saying? Our military is full of pusses? I don't think so
I am not talking about our military, I am talking about our citizens in general.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.