Watching the comedy show Community. Amazing how far the US has gone woke in 10 years

4,981 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Franklin Delano Bluth
titan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Pinche Abogado said:

Very well stated
Strongly seconded.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
BackPocket said:

Amazing how much further we have to go. Maybe in 10 years someone's response will be: "I can't believe we allowed that stuff to be shown on TV. Who was the pig that wrote that content?"

Instead, we are still stuck with: "Man I miss shows that degrade women and minorities"

Obama was right this week. It might take another century.

I'm an optimist so I say it won't take a century. Maybe 20-30 years for people to be horrified by the degrading language and such. And you know what? Comedies are still funny without degrading people.
Bunk Moreland
The mascot episode seems pretty on the nose these days doesn't it? Waiting for the Redskins to become the Washington Human Beings
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TXK said:

BackPocket said:

Amazing how much further we have to go. Maybe in 10 years someone's response will be: "I can't believe we allowed that stuff to be shown on TV. Who was the pig that wrote that content?"

Instead, we are still stuck with: "Man I miss shows that degrade women and minorities"

I'm an optimist so I say it won't take a century. Maybe 20-30 years for people to be horrified by the degrading language and such. And you know what? Comedies are still funny without degrading people.

Jokes in comedies are not degrading people. They are just silly jokes. Get your panties untwisted.
Tanya 93
TXK said:

BackPocket said:

I assume you avoid all rap music that degrades women?
titan
S

On the more general point of retroactive censoring of humor.

All this is kind of stupid. Even when reading primary sources from far distant eras and some of the foul humor, you can see where the basis is. Most stereotypes do not exist out of thin air --- they had a basis in a repetitious enough occurrence to understand where the notions came from.

A still neutral example, because you still see it made, is the idea of many tech support calls being of India at the other end. This simply because for a certain span of time, it was really holding up. Its an unimportant stereotype, but for precisely that reason imo is useful for illustrating how they get started.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
jrdaustin
AG
Quote:

Do you get my point?

I'll wager he gets it.

He simply doesn't care.
themadmatter
Seasons 1 and 2 of Community are the best ever for sitcoms. Absolutely hysterical. Rips into every stereotype imaginable. And yes, I bought the DVDs since they will eventually try to ban it.
richardag
haybob15 said:

Comedy doesn't exist anymore because the left doesn't understand humor.
I believe there is more truth in this than many realize.
YouBet
AG
BackPocket said:

I hope so. The point you are missing here is that we all used to be able to have fun one with another and not worry about offending the weak folks like yourself.
YouBet
AG
richardag said:

haybob15 said:

Well, you have several high profile comedians who have essentially confirmed this. They no longer do stand-up at universities because of it.
titan
S
YouBet said:

richardag said:

haybob15 said:

Well, you have several high profile comedians who have essentially confirmed this. They no longer do stand-up at universities because of it.
And that is an entire institution that is increasingly looking like past its shelf date; more a force of regression than advancement. At least non-STEM elements.
FrioAg 00:
Sid Farkas
AG
I watched Airplane! again last nite...that movie would never get made again

...check out Blazing Saddles...try to imagine that film getting made today
fixer
TXK said:

BackPocket said:

FYI...the left has abandoned humor wholesale.

titan
S
Sid Farkas said:

Yes. That's an example of my 9:13 above.

Its not even in the "distant" past, but already seems like another era even though were alive at the time. But looking back you can understand what stereotypes were at work and still laugh at them. If reading ancient documents, Celtic jokes about Romans still resonate if you know the context for heaven's sake.
FrioAg 00:
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
titan said:

Aggiebrewer said:

It has an American flag in it

Oh the horror
Oh, I get it. True enough where Leftist trash is concerned. But was thinking some specific objection may have cropped up which would make whatever group did immediate write-offs. Okay.
I suppose that because that image also represents an American thrashing of the Japanese, i.e., not whites, that this image will need to be removed from all publication, and oh the horror of that statue of this very image at Arlington National Cemetery, that crap absolutely must go because it's "on the wrong side of history".

God, I hate liberals.
titan
S
fixer said:

TXK said:

BackPocket said:

FYI...the left has abandoned humor wholesale.

Did you seen any in Orwell's world of 1984? There you go.

Even the Russians managed to hang onto some "the states pretends to pay us, and we pretend to work"
FrioAg 00:
GiveEmHellBill
AG
BigRobSA
BackPocket said:

#worsttake

Good Lord this whole quote is one of the stupidest things ever put on TexAgs, and that's saying something.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Tanya 93
BigRobSA said:

BackPocket said:

#worsttake

Good Lord this whole quote is one of the stupidest things ever put on TexAgs, and that's saying something.
Considering I hate bacon/
titan
S
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

titan said:

Aggiebrewer said:

It has an American flag in it

Oh the horror
Oh, I get it. True enough where Leftist trash is concerned. But was thinking some specific objection may have cropped up which would make whatever group did immediate write-offs. Okay.
I suppose that because that image also represents an American thrashing of the Japanese, i.e., not whites, that this image will need to be removed from all publication, and oh the horror of that statue of this very image at Arlington National Cemetery, that crap absolutely must go because it's "on the wrong side of history".

God, I hate liberals.
Could certainly see certain types of professors starting such a spiel. Agreed. Ironically, the Japanese hold that moment in high grudging respect. Worthy of the Imperial Army. So they wouldn't be speaking for them.
FrioAg 00:
BigRobSA
Tanya 93 said:

BigRobSA said:

BackPocket said:

#worsttake

Considering I hate bacon/
Yes, as dumb as THAT is, it's way less dumb than the quote I quoted.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
YouBet
AG
titan said:

Sid Farkas said:

Its not even in the "distant" past, but already seems like another era even though were alive at the time. But looking back you can understand what stereotypes were at work and still laugh at them. If reading ancient documents, Celtic jokes about Romans still resonate if you know the context for heaven's sake.
Yes, around 10 years ago seems to be high point in freedom on TV. We've noticed past that time is when you start seeing the sterilization of TV. We've watched some episodes of random shows from about 10 years ago and it's amazing what you used to see on TV. Can't count how many times I've turned to my wife and uttered, "There is no way that would get on tv now."
gougler08
AG
Mayor West said:

Daveintx said:

Netflix has already removed at least one epi so...yeah... (For the record I love the show)

There's far worse out there, but hey, it's gotta fit the narrative right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vulture.com/amp/2020/06/community-blackface-episodes-removed-by-netflix-and-hulu.html

For this, which is OBVIOUSLY not making fun of black people. It was a dungeons and dragons dark elf character, which is explained in the episode.

When did they pull it? We watched community over the last few weeks and it was on there. Certainly not surprised that people are upset by it as context doesn't matter anymore
Tanya 93
I honestly think much of The Office, one of the greatest sitcoms ever, would have trouble being produced today.
bmks270
AG
Proc92 said:

Lack of humor. The future looks super fun. Congrats losers, you really are making society great and the kids have something to really look forward to.

I've noticed the modern hard left doesn't have a sense of humor. It's strange.
titan
S
YouBet said:

titan said:

Sid Farkas said:

Yes, around 10 years ago seems to be high point in freedom on TV. We've noticed past that time is when you start seeing the sterilization of TV. We've watched some episodes of random shows from about 10 years ago and it's amazing what you used to see on TV. Can't count how many times I've turned to my wife and uttered, "There is no way that would get on tv now."
True. It roughly dates around the time late-night comedy just became an Obamian agenda slobber-fest and a GOP bashing one. From those become one-sided propaganda it began to spread out to suppression of comedy still willing to be `old style' and skewer all sides.
FrioAg 00:
Paradise Ag
AG

You Leftists are definitely a fun bunch. Great job you've done with late night talk shows. Remember, the female remake of Ghost Busters was quite the high point in woke comedy.

Oh, and love your memes too.

Apparently sense of humor, personal hygiene and rationality are the first things to go on the progressive wagon. Onward, comrades.
GCP12
AG
TXK said:

BackPocket said:

It makes me sad that people like this exist
BackPocket
Steve Carell said this years ago.

So your fresh take on The Office is about as real as notes on windshields in College Station.
ptcaggie
PneumAg
BackPocket said:

Yes, you have further to go until you can completely censor and outlaw all speech you don't agree with. You are truly sick in the head. Absolutely disgusting.
Tanya 93
Bite me

Which banned pretend lib are you?
Slicer97
AG
The biggest problem with America is that we took Darwin out of the equation. If we didn't protect idiots from themselves, the Leftests would never have been a problem in the first place.
titan
S
Slicer97 said:

The biggest problem with America is that we took Darwin out of the equation. If we didn't protect idiots from themselves, the Leftests would never have been a problem in the first place.
That is one of the big catch-22s of modern civilization in general, in its desire to improve things. It may have overdone that a bit.
FrioAg 00:
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.