So with things trending in the right direction

6,184 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by amfta
Johnny2Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Updated thoughts on when things return to normal?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
When we get some more complete datasets on therapeutics and their efficacy. Until then things will be limited in some way, shape, or form.
LawHall88
AG
There's always bird flu to slow us down.
AgResearch
AG
LawHall88 said:

There's always bird flu to slow us down.

Slaughter all of them in the area and send to the landfill.

Easiest way to stop the spread and the market certainly won't notice since we have a glut of supply right now.
AgResearch
AG
AggieAuditor said:

Without a mass produced vaccine they can't relax anything. The curve has been flattened and it makes no difference. The lockdown will stay in place for another 6 months minimum. There is no other (socially acceptable) option. We're going all in and there's no turning back. Even if we have to trade 2 future lives to save one now, that's what we have to do.
The entire US will not be locked down for 6 months. I am supportive the current measures and will continue as needed but 6 months will not happen.

We will open up, see spikes in cases, and respond accordingly. This will continue until a vaccine or herd immunity. Many will die but not unnecessarily by overwhelming the hospitals.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
two weeks...
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
AggieAuditor said:

Any governor who "opens up" will be absolutely crucified politically if there is a spike in deaths. No one is going to risk that in the social media age.
I would argue this is true for some time, but eventually a tipping point will be hit when people will be voting against incumbent gov's because they're done with it. No idea when the point will be but reckon a good old opinion poll will see it coming and governors will conveniently have a change of heart about the same time their voting base does.
TXAggie2011
AG
He's trolling
pantherag
AG
AggieAuditor said:

Any governor who "opens up" will be absolutely crucified politically if there is a spike in deaths. No one is going to risk that in the social media age.

If Abbott kept Texas "closed" for 6 months, he will be crucified. Six months is not an option.
AggieAuditor
AG
How about 3? Where is the limit?
JTA1029
AG
AggieAuditor said:

Without a mass produced vaccine they can't relax anything. The curve has been flattened and it makes no difference. The lockdown will stay in place for another 6 months minimum. There is no other (socially acceptable) option. We're going all in and there's no turning back. Even if we have to trade 2 future lives to save one now, that's what we have to do.
No.
wxguy95
AG
It has no easy answer.

The unstated part of flattening the curve isnt a reduction in deaths due to COVID, it is to reduce the additional deaths where hospital interventions will be successful, but unavailable due to the loss of resources when overwhelmed.

So the right call to 'returning to normal life' means there will be a bump in deaths, but not so great as to cause unnecessary deaths from overextended ICUs.
Jet Black
AggieAuditor said:

Hahahahahaha

I hope you don't really believe this tripe.
ReloadAg
AG
What utter BS. Americans are not putting up with this crap for more than a few more weeks. This thing has been overblown from day 1. Time to get back to life.
BowSowy
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

He's trolling
Agreed, staff really needs to clean crap like this up. AggieAuditor has been one of the worst about it
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm sticking with slowly opening up through May, and much closer to normal for June
Not a Bot
AG
Will come in phases, and needs to be tied in with resources and ability to test/treat.

I'm really concerned about political goalpost moving. I'm one of the people who have been taking this virus very seriously since the outbreak began, but we can't lose sight of what the goal with the economic shutdown actually was: To buy time and keep healthcare providers from being overwhelmed all at once. It wasn't to keep any/everyone from being infected or dying.

When healthcare workers have the PPE/resources we need to treat active cases and when we are able to test with rapid turnaround time, we need to start opening things back up. I don't think we can fully reopen certain things like restaurants and entertainment venues where large crowds gather until we get a vaccine or the proven ability to keep people out of the hospital after infection.

My concern overall is that the "public" is dumb. People will use a gradual relaxation of the rules to start throwing parties and family reunions. When they get sick they will blame the politicians. Politicians will react by shutting things down again.
FbgTxAg
AG
It will be State by State, as it should be.

I'm Texas, we will start opening things back up April 20, and everything will be open but public schools by mid May.
halfastros81
AG
Jmo .....And it depends on how things go..... Texas will start to open up in early to mid-May.... everything opened up by June 1.
MaroonStain
AG
Johnny2Fan said:

Two weeks or June 1.
MaroonStain
AG
Johnny2Fan said:

This is the new normal, komrade
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Nitro Power
AG
It's already been too damn long.
Gap
AG
May 1 is my prediction

There is no mass outbreak in Texas. The models confirm this by constantly moving our peak out where the peak would involve people who have been sheltering at home for several weeks already. We could begin opening things up tomorrow and it wouldn't change the impact or how it would roll out. Our list of essential businesses has us crowding into the same places as all of our neighbors. People are taking the virus seriously. They will distance. They will have better hygiene. Some will wear masks. All these things together have an impact and work to meet the original goal of flattening the curve.

I think we could do it sooner but I'm predicting May 1.
MaroonStain
AG
Yep, Texas followed the NYC scare without mass transit and mass housing.
Philip J Fry
AG
I was game for 2 weeks, but that was it. Let people go back to work. Have them wear masks and ****, but get them out of the house and functioning again.
Tanya 93
Life is never going to be normal again
HollywoodBQ
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Life is never going to be normal again
I'm sure that over time, there will again be an opportunity to take a trip to the Champagne Room.
Old Army Metal
AG
I hope soon. It's hot as hell in this location and the DoD-mandated mask wear is only making things worse. I've been living in Southern California too long, I've gotten soft with regards to the heat.
Muy
AG
halfastros81 said:

Jmo .....And it depends on how things go..... Texas will start to open up in early to mid-May.... everything opened up by June 1.

Pray this enrages the chicken littles so much that they move out of Texas and we begin to repopulate Texas with a higher percentage of normal people who use common sense.
ElKabong
ReloadAg said:

What utter BS. Americans are not putting up with this crap for more than a few more weeks. This thing has been overblown from day 1. Time to get back to life.
THIS!!!!

As the economic destruction is gradually revealed the political consequences will be like a tsunami a thousand miles off shore. It will take a bit but the voters will rise up and seek retribution on those who unnecessarily destroyed the economy.
Johnny2Fan
I pray we take the house back....Please please oh god let that happen, If id does, im buying a whole lot of popcorn and watching the fall of the democratic party.
iluvpoker
FbgTxAg said:

It will be State by State, as it should be.

I'm Texas, we will start opening things back up April 20, and everything will be open but public schools by mid May.

I hope you're right! Is this just your opinion or is this official?
BMX Bandit
"return to normal" meaning how it was in February?

I don[t know if that ever happens. It certainly isn't going to be by May 1.

some of these "social distancing" things are not going anywhere any time soon, and some may never going away.

hospitals aren't going to start letting visitors back in any time soon.

people at meeting will remain spaced out

restaurants are going to have new rules on occupancy and table spacing.

shaking hands is not going to be common for quite some time.

masks are going to continue to be worn.

groceries stores are going to still space people out.

lots of festivals that would have happened over the summer won't be happening.

pro sports sure as heck won't be back to "normal" by May 1. likely not even by July 1.

courts won't be back to "normal" within the next 60 days
Betoisafurry
AggieAuditor said:

How about 3? Where is the limit?

Two weeks like we were told a month ago.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.