Lost a friend today

4,806 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by ham98
The Operator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is sad.

I asked my friend (10+ years) about his incessant habit of posting negativity regarding the US executive branch (1/3 of our government) to social media and he called me ignorant, then racist, then "unfriended" me.

edit: added "to social media"
PneumAg
Sounds he wasn't your friend.
zooguy96
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
black_hat_ag
Sounds like a good day for you.
Prosperdick
AG
TDS is real...
Tom Hagen
AG
black_hat_ag said:

Sounds like a good day for you.
Exactly. Turn the frown upside down.
aggie appraiser
The Operator said:

This is sad. I am sad.

I asked my friend about his incessant habit of posting negativity regarding the US executive branch (1/3 of our government) to social media and he "unfriended" me and called me a racist.

You just won a day in the game of life, my friend.
Snake Jazz
Was unfriended on 2016 Election Day for saying I was relieved that Hillary didn't win. I post very little political material on Facebook...that was a rare exception. My "friend" had been posting liberal stuff almost daily at that time.

I had known her most of my life and had genuinely been friends. Liberalism changed her.
Whens lunch
AG
I don't know that there was any winning here, but certainly some losing. Operator lost a friend, who somewhere along the way lost his mind.
Not when I'm done with it.
Gap
AG
Another victim of common-enemy identity politics. You are the enemy. It has been cultivated by people in our society for their benefit. He has been tribalized to see life as us versus them. He sees life as a battle between good people and evil people. You aren't with he and the good people.
OverSeas AG
AG
I am sorry... that stinks.

There is a lot of ignorance in the US, some do to lack of education, but much due to willfully being ignorant. Your friend is willfully ignorant if he does not understand your background.

I know it is sad to discover someone is not who you thought, but at least you know now and come move forward looking for people that will challenge you and you them.
zooguy96
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
BigFred said:

Well, tell him about the cyber friends you have on Texags that will embrace your racism, and that you don't need him anyway.

That'll show'em.

Look the "every TexAgs poster is a racist" guy is posting tonight.
Fxbrad
AG
I had a friend that supported the kneeling at the anthem
I wondered why cause she was from Canada and had just earned her citizenship
She said I was a racist too
I told her to take her ass back to Canada
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
The Operator
It's not a big loss in terms of friends..
I don't use that social media anyways, basically went from 11 to 10 friends and don't really even follow the noise anyway.

The loss is more internalized .. you work with a person for a few years, tell a few jokes, endure their ludicrous social media posts, then the second you mention something that doesn't fit into their worldview, you are suddenly an "ignorant racist"! Hell, I must've been a freaking magician for hiding this "ignorant racist" side for 10+ years.. either that OR ... ?
MouthBQ98
AG
Ideological possession can be ugly. When racism accusations is your manipulative hammer you use to obtain power and bully and intimidate others and selfishly virtue signal for status in the progressive identity politics hierarchy, every comment is a nail.
YouBet
AG
zooguy96 said:

Funny how "progressives" are the least tolerant people even though they say they are the most tolerant.

They are hypocrites in all things.
BoerneGator
AG
When someone shows you who they are, believe them..

Move on, and don't give it another thought.
FriscoKid
AG
BigFred said:

Well, tell him about the cyber friends you have on Texags that will embrace your racism, and that you don't need him anyway.

That'll show'em.
This is bull **** and it needs to stop.
FPS_Dough
BigFred said:

That'll show'em.
Why is he racist?
Muy
AG
When's the burial?
BigFred
Well.........I didnt say he was.
Shoefly!
AG
BoerneGator said:

When someone shows you who they are, believe them..

Move on, and don't give it another thought.

Very sound advice!
Wife of Chas Satterfield
But you dumped him as a friend.
FriscoKid
AG
There was one thread that stoked all of this **** and it should have been nuked.
Tanya 93
They aren't a friend

I don't need to unfriend someone because they challenge my posts.

You don't need them. Better off without them.
Have some Scotch
Threadbare
The Operator said:

It's not a big loss in terms of friends..
I don't use that social media anyways, basically went from 11 to 10 friends and don't really even follow the noise anyway.

The loss is more internalized .. you work with a person for a few years, tell a few jokes, endure their ludicrous social media posts, then the second you mention something that doesn't fit into their worldview, you are suddenly an "ignorant racist"! Hell, I must've been a freaking magician for hiding this "ignorant racist" side for 10+ years.. either that OR ... ?
It's hard not to take such pointed, disgusted, and seemingly final disapproval from someone with whom you had any kind of relationship at all very personally, even if you recognize that it's unfair and that it says more negative about them than it does you.

I think a bit of short-lived, measured, non-malicious anger is appropriate; as long as you don't let it devolve into wishing them ill or into something lingering or gnawing, it helps put the situation in the right perspective, and helps you move past it.

dcAg
Open minded until you have a differing opinion then you are a racist, homophobe, xenophobe, anti-family...

Guess what? Everyone that comes to the country illegally is a criminal. That is a fact.

I am all for a really great, strong immigration system that allows people in the country to better themselves but you should NOT be allowed to just show up and ask where all the free $h!t is!
The Operator
Thank you for the kind, pragmatic, and measured words of optimism.

" as long as you don't let it devolve into wishing them ill or into something lingering or gnawing, it helps put the situation in the right perspective, and helps you move past it."

Yes. I am perfectly fine and hold no negativity.. it is such a ridiculously, absurd turn of events, I felt it deserved reflection on this board.
Absurd.
PaulC_80
Unfortunately Liberals have been convinced that they are truly better people because they are liberal. Liberals believe that they are smarter, better educated, more worldly, more caring, more compassionate, more kind, etc, etc, etc.

Liberals also believe that anyone that is not liberal is racist, sexist, anti-gay, evil, a nazi and/or everything else that is considered awful by liberals. Liberals truly believe that they are better people and they look down on those that are not liberal, or liberal enough.

Liberalism makes it's practitioners feel better about themselves and superior to those that are not liberal. In general this is a false premise.
PLUM LOCO
AG
We have a winner!
C@LAg
PaulC_80 said:

Unfortunately Liberals have been convinced that they are truly better people because they are liberal. Liberals believe that they are smarter, better educated, more worldly, more caring, more compassionate, more kind, etc, etc, etc.

Liberals also believe that anyone that is not liberal is racist, sexist, anti-gay, evil, a nazi and/or everything else that is considered awful by liberals. Liberals truly believe that they are better people and they look down on those that are not liberal, or liberal enough.

Liberalism makes it's practitioners feel better about themselves and superior to those that are not liberal. In general this is a false premise.
wait.. does this mean Shanked is a liberal?!?!?!!?!?!??
Coronabros are enemies of the state, and should be treated as such.
h1ag
Good lord. So based o. Postings and relationships on social media, some deaths are better than others and in this case, it was desirable?!

OP is here to vent and everyone is saying good riddance? By the same people that rant about the intolerance of the left? Disgusting.
P.C. Principal
AG
Sorry to hear. I hate hearing of friendships being ruined or family relationships being strained over political differences. Life is too short. What unites us is stronger than what divides us.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.