Has anyone been asked for "papers"?

5,075 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by agsalaska
fooz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While out and about or commuting to work? I see folks bragging about getting "papers" but are they really enforcing it? I typed up my own, even though my company is allowing us to work from home.
Martin Q. Blank
SRBS
They are definitely stopping people in Ohio to ask why the are on the road
The Fall Guy
AG
No
BigRobSA
No, though I have a letter from my CEO and a business card.

Sent all my employees a letter too.

Also have a pocket Constitution.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
MROD92
Yes, last night in Dallas
Clob94
Firefox.

Clint Eastwood.

Papers please.
beanbean
So I'm confused here. Cops don't have time to go after actual people committing crimes, but they have all the time in the world to go after people who might not have a good reason to be out?
Rapier108
No, but I have something from my boss should it happen.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
SeaHoss
AG
No from occupied Austin
fooz
MROD92 said:

Go on...
80s Guy
Two of my guys working night shift got pulled over on the way into work last night in Waco.
Demosthenes81
AG
Not yet but I have the following in my truck:

Copy of the Shelter at Home declaration with the exemptions that apply to me highlighted
A copy of my ADP employee profile showing my job and employer
A copy of my last pay statement
A dozen donuts. (okay not that last but I may be tempted to pick up some kolaches)

Of course like Captain Marko Ramius said, "If we meet the right sort, then this will work. We get some... buckaroo...?"
fooz
brucoh said:

So I'm confused here. Cops don't have time to go after actual people committing crimes, but they have all the time in the world to go after people who might not have a good reason to be out?
aginlakeway
AG
I would suspect more people would be stopped at night. Lots of folks going to "essential" places during the day.

Can you just say you're going to grocery store or gas station if you get pulled over?
The Fall Guy
AG
I can see smaller counties doing it because they don't have much crime and are vored
Zemira
AG
I know our bakers all have letters since they start at 3am or some crazy hour.
ttu_85
Clob94 said:

Firefox.

Clint Eastwood.

Papers please.
Hogan's Heroes 1969

'Papers'

You are just a kid.
DrZ
AG
In Klein the dry cleaners are open. The car washes. I saw a used book store open. Everything here is open that was open yesterday.
Legal Custodian
AG
I'm curious if just driving in a 'shelter in place' county/city/state is deemed as 'probable cause'?
Mayor West
AG
brucoh said:

[url] [/url]
ttu_85
brucoh said:

I was out walking, A cop drives by and waves. Funny, I never see the things cops are accused of doing.
Mordred
AG
BigRobSA said:

Game Stop employee?
beanbean
ttu_85 said:

brucoh said:

I was out walking, A cop drives by and waves. Funny, I never see the things cops are accused of doing.
Being out walking is something that you are allowed to do though under almost every city's lockdown order though.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
MROD92 said:

Did you maintain the required 6 feet clear?

You have to maintain 6 feet clear.

Or did you stand in his face and spray the cop with spittle?
DrZ
AG
I have a letter from a Nigerian prince that indicates I am essential to a transaction.
TxTarpon
I have one, but doubt I will be asked.
----------------------------------
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."-Ronald Reagan
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason."-Mark Twain
"Abbott overreached on power and is unwilling to open things up and when his policy if enforced, he says, "Don't enforce it.""-DallasAg94
PaulC_80
brucoh said:

I have noticed more cops speed trapping during the day than usual. I am guessing with so many stores, businesses and restaurants closed down the cops now have less general BS to deal with during the day.

I have not been out after dark since all my regular hangouts are closed. A lot less night time traffic on the main roads near my house. A lot less.
BigRobSA
Mordred said:

BigRobSA said:

Game Stop employee?

No, Regional Manager for an essential service.

Want a job?
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
BigRobSA
Legal Custodian said:

I'm curious if just driving in a 'shelter in place' county/city/state is deemed as 'probable cause'?

Are you black or Hispanic and is your state of residence in the Northeastern US?

If so, then yes.
Joes
Zemira said:

I know our bakers all have letters since they start at 3am or some crazy hour.

Demosthenes81
AG
PaulC_80 said:

brucoh said:

I have noticed more cops speed trapping during the day than usual. I am guessing with so many stores, businesses and restaurants closed down the cops now have less general BS to deal with during the day.

I have not been out after dark since all my regular hangouts are closed. A lot less night time traffic on the main roads near my house. A lot less.
I passed by 5 DPS officers on my way in to work this morning along I35
beanbean
PaulC_80 said:

brucoh said:

Good to know. Since all these cities were acting like they weren't going to bother with anything other than violent crimes just the other day, I thought about Autobahning on the interstate on the way home the other day from work. Thought twice, just went 10 over instead.
Signel
AG
Yep.. but I have my special badge.
Front Range Ag
AG
We're in the cattle feeding business (food supply) and our office is in Northern Colorado.

I carry a 13-page document that I hope I get to hand to some lucky individual. One page is the letter composed by our attorneys and the other pages are the DHS and FDA documents defining food producing entities as 'essential'.

As a matter of fact, Boulder Co. issued a stay at home order which becomes effective tomorrow morning. I might actually get to use it!
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.