Mike Rowe with his perspective

2,416 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by JB99
Demosthenes81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/posts/3131895316820590?__tn__=K-R

A few excerpts:
Quote:

Here's an honest question - would you be OK if the government reduced the posted speed limits by 50%, required all motorists to wear helmets, and outlawed all left turns? If not, why not? Doing so would save almost 40,000 lives a year.

The reason most people would not agree to those new protocols, is because we've already come to terms with the human cost of driving the way we want to drive. We believe, collectively, that 40,000 annual deaths are an acceptable price to pay. It's a steep price, but we pay it, year after year after year. Sure, we've made things much dafer with safety belts, air bags, ABS brakes, and so forth. But we haven't done ALL we can to eliminate traffic fatalities. Nor will we. Because when it comes to driving, safety isn't first.
Quote:

Over the last few weeks, we've been inundated with facts, but very little context or perspective. And that lack of context is prompting more and more people to ask the same question I posed here last week what if the cost of the cure is greater than the cost of the disease? It's not an unreasonable question, or a heartless one, but people don't like to hear it.
Lord I wish he would run for office.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Being a politician is the ultimate Dirty Job.
Article 58-10 Offender
Bo isn't going to like this. Not one bit.
Rendered Fat
Article 58-10 Offender said:

Bo isn't going to like this. Not one bit.

Mike Rowe doesn't understand basic math. /Darville
mwp02ag
AG
I love MR. He's been screamin for a decade that we must srop demonizing blue collar work and driving everyone to college.

He is right and I pray were about to see a huge resurgence of American manufacturing, construction and good ole dirty jobs. Its the only thing that can save our economy from this mess imo.

My time as an electrician taught me work ethic, problem solving and leadership that i still use daily.

I cant tell you one thing I use my degree for. My Aggie ring got my foot in the door and likely two of my first jobs out of college but other than that my degree does not serve me at all.
safety guy
AG
It's risk vs reward. We have members of the media and medical community that don't, won't, or can't understand this. We need to be sensitive as this is a serious situation but at some point, we are going to have to assume some of the risk while practicing good hygiene.
Marvin
AG
I want to be Mike Rowe when I grow up.
Martin Q. Blank
Wearing a helmet protects only yourself. Vaccination and these stay at home orders protects the public at large. Not saying he's wrong, but it's a bad comparison.

I don't even think his question is the right one.

Quote:

And that lack of context is prompting more and more people to ask the same question I posed here last week what if the cost of the cure is greater than the cost of the disease?

Wearing a helmet is cheap so the benefit would far outweigh the cost.
Champ Bailey
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Wearing a helmet protects only yourself. Vaccination and these stay at home orders protects the public at large. Not saying he's wrong, but it's a bad comparison.

Quote:

And that lack of context is prompting more and more people to ask the same question I posed here last week what if the cost of the cure is greater than the cost of the disease?

The cost of legislating that everyone has to wear a helmet is that there are more stupid people breeding.
EskimoJoe
A college education isn't what it used to be. There are way too many kids taking up space in college campuses that really need to be in a trade school. my company will put you through trade school to be a mechanic with a guaranteed job upon completion in exchange for a 3 year commitment. We cannot hire enough mechanics to keep our shop staffed. It's a problem that is industry wide, across different equipment brands and dealers nationwide are experiencing the same problem.

Our local trade school has 6 students in the power and tech program this year. (2 year program). Kids are not being steered to the trades.
Martin Q. Blank
Champ Bailey said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

The cost of legislating that everyone has to wear a helmet is that there are more stupid people breeding.
Old people can't breed so are their lives worth infinity?
Predmid
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Just conveniently skipping over the speed limit argument, which would save countless lives a day and in the short run could be a net revenue generator for governments with the number of speeding tickets they'd be able to issue. Only cost is a few pieces of aluminium for signs. Heck, a lot of them could be re-used.

The problem with morality laws is that if the general population disagrees with the law, the law is unenforceable as too many people will ignore the laws. See: alcohol prohibition, marijuana laws, and now 'shelter in place' mandates.
mwp02ag
AG
EskimoJoe said:

A college education isn't what it used to be. There are way too many kids taking up space in college campuses that really need to be in a trade school. my company will put you through trade school to be a mechanic with a guaranteed job upon completion in exchange for a 3 year commitment. We cannot hire enough mechanics to keep our shop staffed. It's a problem that is industry wide, across different equipment brands and dealers nationwide are experiencing the same problem.

Our local trade school has 6 students in the power and tech program this year. (2 year program). Kids are not being steered to the trades.
I'd say kids are actively being steered AWAY from blue collar/ trade careers.

Kudos to your company. Im curious, I am assuming those who take advantage of the program are working for the shop while completing the course. How much would you say they bring home at the end of the year on average?

Compared to a **** degree, job and a student loan payment and you can easily come out a few hundred grand in the positive side.
JW
AG
The world is responding in kind to the virus. Would be political suicide not to do the same. There were only bad choices to choose from and we will be arguing forever which one was least worst.
the last of the bohemians
Luckily for our country, we have enough non-sheep to get the message of common sense out to the masses...the MSM 1984 blitz is failing once again in America, keep trying idiots
Threadbare
jxs40 said:

A few excerpts:
Quote:

Here's an honest question - would you be OK if the government reduced the posted speed limits by 50%, required all motorists to wear helmets, and outlawed all left turns? If not, why not? Doing so would save almost 40,000 lives a year.

The reason most people would not agree to those new protocols, is because we've already come to terms with the human cost of driving the way we want to drive. We believe, collectively, that 40,000 annual deaths are an acceptable price to pay. It's a steep price, but we pay it, year after year after year. Sure, we've made things much dafer with safety belts, air bags, ABS brakes, and so forth. But we haven't done ALL we can to eliminate traffic fatalities. Nor will we. Because when it comes to driving, safety isn't first.
Quote:

Over the last few weeks, we've been inundated with facts, but very little context or perspective. And that lack of context is prompting more and more people to ask the same question I posed here last week what if the cost of the cure is greater than the cost of the disease? It's not an unreasonable question, or a heartless one, but people don't like to hear it.
I've been making essentially this argument (radically reduced speed limits, driving curfews, tight age restrictions) for years (I actually made it in a thread a few days ago) in response to every "if it saves one life" proposition.

I've never gotten a satisfactory answer for why its not applicable...
BigRobSA
Threadbare said:

jxs40 said:

A few excerpts:
Quote:

Quote:

I've been making essentially this argument (radically reduced speed limits, driving curfews, tight age restrictions) for years (I actually made it in a thread a few days ago) in response to every "if it saves one life" proposition.

Something HAS to be done!

Are you not thinking of the children!?
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Predmid
AG
Threadbare said:

jxs40 said:

A few excerpts:
Quote:

Quote:

The further dive down the analogy is that research & technology will find solutions to problems.

When autonomous vehicles become a thing, driver accidents and crash rates will plummet and increase safety.

That same line of thought applies to medical research and development driving towards creating treatments and vaccines to reduce mortality rates.

EskimoJoe
mwp02ag said:

EskimoJoe said:

I'd say kids are actively being steered AWAY from blue collar/ trade careers.

Kudos to your company. Im curious, I am assuming those who take advantage of the program are working for the shop while completing the course. How much would you say they bring home at the end of the year on average?

Compared to a **** degree, job and a student loan payment and you can easily come out a few hundred grand in the positive side.

The students are enrolled in the tech school at the community college. As participants in the program, they do an internship with us. They do half a semester in the classroom, and half a semester working in our shop. This goes on for 2 school years. They work summers in the shop also. During the half semester of classroom work, they can work in the shop after school if they have time. They are paid for all work as interns. It works out pretty good for spending money and buying their beginners tool sets.

After school they typically start out in the low 20/hr range base pay with opportunities for monthly bonuses for efficiency. In a 2 to 3 years they can be in the high 20s to 30/ per hour base plus efficiency bonuses if they complete the manufacturers requirements for master level certifications, and keep their quality of work and efficiency numbers at acceptable levels.

For reference, this is a town of 6000 people in southern kansas. I also own rental houses the go for 700 to 900 per month.
agdoc2001
AG
Mike Rowe is a national treasure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
who?mikejones
AG
Safety third
flakrat
AG
RIP for MR's future in entertainment.
JB99
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Thanks for Cherry picking. Obviously lowereing the speed limit by 50% and outlawing left hand turns protects everyone else on the road including yourself. His point makes perfect sense and is a valid comparison.
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.