Why Do We Have Data Problem?

3,993 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Wife of Chas Satterfield
Tramp96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure it's been said already, and forgive me for not going through every post in the three pages.

We have a data problem because we have a testing capacity problem. We aren't doing enough testing to even do extrapolation from sampling.

cbr
AG
Wife of Chas Satterfield said:

Thanks. Browsed each cite. I was expecting more precision and clarity.

Oh well I deal with the proven science of gravity all day.

if anyone doesnt deal with the proven science of gravity all day, please speak up here.
eric76
AG

Wait our annual flu season is driven by viruses? Or is it not?
Only the influenza virus. You don't get the flu from other viruses.
cbr
AG

i personally thought it would be worse than it is based on some things i heard from friends in china in december and early january.

glad i was wrong.

however, the actions of the chinese and other governments, together with anecdotes like 20 million chinese no longer using cell phones all of a sudden, speak much louder than the 'absolutely incomplete and faulty' data being delivered honestly, or the data that is in all likelihood deliberately false from many sources.

i still think it is worse than most people presently do, and i would not be at all surprised if deaths ultimately run from .5% - 2% of the population - a massive number. The newest ER doctor reports seem pretty grim....showing that i may not be that far off the mark.

That said, I still think the economic impact of the shut downs are likely worse than the disease, and that the governments are overreacting in some ways.
Certainly, if western governments had much more dire and accurate information, i think it would have leaked by now, so i think they are shooting from the same info as we are.... which means a pretty solid overreaction.
SeMgCo87
AG
Agnzona said:

Where has spreadsheet Ag been this was his forte!
Not sure, but I think his brain exploded from an example I used in another thread...
MouthBQ98
AG
A pandemic might harm or kill over a year or two. A major economic dow turn will harm or kill over a decade or two with the compounding effects.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
Numerical events for me. All static for the most part. Except some minor stuff with vibration. And then my favorite of curves. The horizontal curve, the spiral, on occasion is a welcome respite. Nothing earth shattering, fun and unproven as pandemic models.

The downward force is a given for all.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
eric76 said:

This virus won't become part of the annual flu virus vaccine? I think the theory is that it will. Maybe I am mistaken.

eric76
AG

eric76 said:

This virus won't become part of the annual flu virus vaccine? I think the theory is that it will. Maybe I am mistaken.
Even if it is, it won't make it the flu any more than a mmr vaccine makes mumps or rubella a form of measles.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
Meant to respond earlier. You are correct after doing some reading. SARS and Corona are not technically part of the influenza strains although symptoms are similar.
Page 4 of 4

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.