Abbott announces new 5 acre shanty town by Austin Airport

2,911 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by KT 90
chimmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11/07/texas-opening-5-acres-house-austin-homeless/
Quote:

The soon-to-be campground is a large expanse of concrete surrounded by a manufactured home factory and forest. It's about five miles away from the Texas Capitol, in a clearing adjacent to the historically low-income Montopolis neighborhood, across from the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

On Thursday afternoon, TxDOT backhoes were leveling dirt in apparent preparation for the new temporary residents. Ten port-a-potties and five hand-washing stations were already in place.

The plot of land will include "portable restrooms, hand washing stations, and comes with commitments from local charities to deliver food multiple times a day," Abbott spokesman John Wittman said in a text message. He said the solution "will provide access to healthcare providers and homeless case workers to provide care for the homeless."

The Department of Public Safety will provide 24-hour security, Wittman said.

Quote:

Gov. Greg Abbott said the campsite will be on five acres of state-owned land near Montopolis Drive and State Highway 183. Miguel Gutierrez Jr./The Texas Tribune

I bet the "NIMBY' screams can be heard for miles.
MouthBQ98
AG
That whole area is pretty dumpy. The problem is the homeless don't want to live in a camp with a bunch of other unpredictable and unsanitary and possibly substance abusing people necessarily.

They like free amenities but they also don't want to walk far to panhandle or commit petty property crimes or dumpster dive or score intoxicants so if it is out of the way, very few will opt to use it.
Cassius
It's next to a low income neighborhood. There won't be a peep.

Irony is, there is a manufactured home plant next door too.
Champ Bailey
AG
The liberals will be calling these concentration camps eventually.

To be faaaaair, that's literally what they are though.
Tom Hagen
AG
Good luck getting the bums to move away from their "customers" and dealers.
PooDoo
AG
Can't wait for the complaints of being too close to the brain cancer causing powerlines.
Cassius
Yeah, they won't opt to use it and you can't force them too either. It'll be a revolving door with cops dropping them off and them hiking back to the main city areas.
BenFiasco14
AG
I support this. The airport is already in a crappy area surrounded by endless eye sore construction projects, now add this homeless shanty town and we can continue to convince people NOT to move here when they fly in for SXSW, vacation, bachelorette party, etc.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
blindey
AG
It's the "reasonable accommodation" some courts (9th cir) have ruled they have to offer before tossing bums into jail, etc.
VaultingChemist
AG
It would be cheaper to pay the homeless their bus fares to California. Winter in Texas is awfully cold compared to Southern California.
kag00
AG
This place will be empty unless the city busses them into and back out of downtown every day (homeless commuters!). It's just too far away from the targets.
GreyhoundDad
AG
Don't feed them. Don't give them a place to camp. Make their lives in Texas difficult. If you quit feeding a stray dog, it either leaves or dies.
PanzerAggie06
AG
The liberal lawyers in Austin are already filing motions to stop this. It is dead before it starts. I'd be shocked if a single bum spends one night there. AOC will be down in Austin fake crying hysterically at the fence surrounding this place by next week.
agdoc2001
AG
Champ Bailey said:

The liberals will be calling these concentration camps eventually.

To be faaaaair, that's literally what they are though.
To beeeeeeee faaaaaaaaair!
aggiehawg
AG
Cassius said:

It's next to a low income neighborhood. There won't be a peep.

Irony is, there is a manufactured home plant next door too.
I am quite familiar with that Palm Harbor Homes manufacturing site. Bet the owners aren't too thrilled with this. They have simple fencing around the construction area but otherwise the model homes are just sitting there, with electricity and furnished. No water nor septic of course, but easily accessible.

Wonder if the homeless will complain about the noise of the planes taking off and landing?
Clob94
There are few food places over there. So dumpster diving will be out. There's few intersections so panhandling is out. I'm guessing the dumpster diving will be at the airport trash bins.

In before a hobo shuts down air traffic by wandering onto the tarmac.
ruddyduck
AG
austin's version of hamsterdam.

chipotle
There's not good or enough panhandling places there. The homeless will return to the greenbelts before they go there.
aggie93
AG
It's a fair compromise and the key is getting to something that is politically feasible. You can then make it illegal to camp downtown and move people here but without a place to take them that creates all kinds of issues. With a concentrated group you can then divide them into 3 categories. Having them in one area has risks but it also makes it easier to control them in many ways. It's much easier to The groups are:

1-Folks who need help. These are the people that services such as job assistance and psychiatric and drug counseling can actually work for.
2-Criminals. True hard core criminals are predators and having them in one area makes it easier to distinguish them and prosecute them.
3-Permanent homeless. Some folks simply don't have the will or desire to change. As long as they aren't committing crimes the best thing is to offer them a reasonably safe environment and charity and hope they eventually want to change but if not at least they are less of a threat to others.

Homelessness in and of itself is not horrible. What is a problem is when it affects other people and when there is no reasonable plan in place to help those who want to be helped.

RDV-1992
I think the homeless in and around downtown will probably stay there. Homeless in other areas might like this though. I've heard of homeless that were pushed out of downtown by more aggressive homeless folks - drug seekers & the like. So maybe this won't help downtown. But it might help north or south Austin.
policywonk98
AG
Some of you havent worked with homeless populations.

This is a bad policy, but not because the place wont get populated. This place will get populated. It will not draw everyone from the areas of town they are trying to empty of the homeless, it will draw a certain percentage and then some from all over the state and maybe even the different parts of the country if and when word start circulating among the community that this place is good.

And by good, as mentioned a little earlier, I mean relatively safe. Most homeless are looking for what they perceive as safe. Poorly run and secured shelters or zones can get a reputation of being unsafe and homeless will stay away. Lots of abusers among non abusers, etc etc.

dmart90
AG
Maybe the people building 183A can hire a bunch of them and get done sooner? I seriously wonder how deep that employment line would be...
Gig 'em!
aginlakeway
AG
So ... as someone who actually has been homeless, I'm going to quickly chime in on this ...

I think this is a horrible idea. The only way someone who hits rock bottom gets up is to admit they need help, get help and listen to those offering help. Enabling doesn't work. And this sounds like even more enabling.

Very few cared that I was homeless for a few months and living in my car 12 years ago. All because of long-term alcoholism.

I truly care about these people ... but they have to want to help themselves. And enabling won't make that happen.

My 2 cents ...
kdub94
AG
Honest question, were you homeless due to mental health or substance abuse issues? I am not trying to discount your life experience, but homelessness happens for many different reasons.
aginlakeway
AG
kdub94 said:

Honest question, were you homeless due to mental health or substance abuse issues? I am not trying to discount your life experience, but homelessness happens for many different reasons.
Alcoholism.
D_Wag97
AG
I thought the original Montopolis residents were being forced out by gentrification hipsters? The hipsters aren't going to like this one bit.
rsemingson
Demotards = homeless. How many Republican run cities have this problem? Austin is a liberal cesspool and has been since we moved here in 1980. Addressing the current proposed location. The Del Valle prison is a few miles east. Why not there and use the yard for their tents?
Swarely
Not yet. Eventually probably, but currently that is a part of town you probably don't want to live in. I did a ride along with APD a couple years ago and our last call was right in that area for a guy with a gun.

I'm trying to figure out just where this shanty town 5 acres is. It seems like it would be too damn close to Roy Guerro Park, and a couple of elementary schools. Also would probably make my trips to buy feed at Callahan's more interesting.
Faustus
aggie93 said:

It's a fair compromise and the key is getting to something that is politically feasible. You can then make it illegal to camp downtown and move people here but without a place to take them that creates all kinds of issues. With a concentrated group you can then divide them into 3 categories. Having them in one area has risks but it also makes it easier to control them in many ways. It's much easier to The groups are:

1-Folks who need help. These are the people that services such as job assistance and psychiatric and drug counseling can actually work for.
2-Criminals. True hard core criminals are predators and having them in one area makes it easier to distinguish them and prosecute them.
3-Permanent homeless. Some folks simply don't have the will or desire to change. As long as they aren't committing crimes the best thing is to offer them a reasonably safe environment and charity and hope they eventually want to change but if not at least they are less of a threat to others.

Homelessness in and of itself is not horrible. What is a problem is when it affects other people and when there is no reasonable plan in place to help those who want to be helped.
Weirdly compassionate post. Did you get lost?
kdub94
AG
I am so thankful that you made it through that time/trial.
aggie93
AG
policywonk98 said:

Some of you havent worked with homeless populations.

This is a bad policy, but not because the place wont get populated. This place will get populated. It will not draw everyone from the areas of town they are trying to empty of the homeless, it will draw a certain percentage and then some from all over the state and maybe even the different parts of the country if and when word start circulating among the community that this place is good.

And by good, as mentioned a little earlier, I mean relatively safe. Most homeless are looking for what they perceive as safe. Poorly run and secured shelters or zones can get a reputation of being unsafe and homeless will stay away. Lots of abusers among non abusers, etc etc.

I think the key point here is what are realistic alternatives. Throwing them all in jail isn't realistic. Allowing them to be spread out everywhere isn't realistic. Getting people to stop wanting to enable them isn't realistic.

This solution at least allows you to take people from being spread out everywhere to concentrate on them in one place. You aren't going to fix homelessness but you can at least control it because this would allow you to make it illegal to camp elsewhere in the city and for cops to pick up homeless and send them somewhere that they at least have an opportunity to get help even if many won't take advantage of it. If they commit crimes there then arrest and jail them.

At a minimum this helps to make Downtown and other areas safer and stops hurting businesses that are trying to operate. What isn't sustainable is to allow homeless all over Downtown and elsewhere with no ability to control them.
mrad85
AG
chimmy said:

Quote:

The Department of Public Safety will provide 24-hour security, Wittman said.

I'll be they are thrilled beyond belief.

Ciboag96
Looks like the Mayor of NY has a new place to send his homeless
whatthehey78
AG
Aren't there 40 acres somewhere closer to downtown Austin that could have been utilized...or is it already being used for that purpose?
BusterAg
AG
I see this as a credible threat to make people behave. The problem isn't people that are living in their car and panhandling. The problem is people who can basically get away with anything becoming a safety and sanitary hazard. How do you get a homeless person from crapping on the sidewalk?
The police's hands have been tied:
1) Throw them in jail, nope! Court said no!
2) Write them a ticket, they don't care! Can't put me in jail!
3) Yell at them, still don't care
5) Put them on a bus and drive them 5 miles away from the people they want to panhandle? You do that to a troublemaker every time you see them do something stupid, and they will try to behave a bit more.
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.