UNT racial slur outrage

4,432 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by FCBlitz
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

In the recording, Sewell is heard saying "If I said something offensive you know, you can say a lot of offensive things in here because it's impossible to talk about the First Amendment without saying horrible things," Sewell said. "Um, you know, 'You're just a dumb n***** and I hate you.' That alone, that's protected speech."

Smatresk later released a statement on Twitter saying, "During the 'When Hate Comes to Campus' panel discussion this evening, a member of the UNT Systems legal staff used a racial epithet that was not reflective of the values of our university community. While the individual was trying to make a point about First Amendment speech, this language is never condoned in our community which prides itself on our diversity and caring nature."

The university is considering firing her over this. Personally I think this whole thing is ridiculous. It's just a word and in this instance she was just saying it as example of what would be protected by free speech. The moral outrage over this word is borderline psychotic.
Ciboag96
Rapier108
But drive down the street on campus with rap music blasting so loud that it vibrates windows, and every other word is n****, or something obscene about women, and no one would bat an eye.
Clob94
White folks have to understand--- you can't even sing the N word in a rap song. If you do, it better be behind a locked door in your shower.
cevans_40
AG
If white people would get together and start beating black people over the word of our choosing, I say cracker, then maybe it would be fair. Of course we would also have to let the latinx's have their word too. Mixed race folks would have to choose one or the other because having 2 wouldn't be fair. Surely we could make this fair somehow.

Or maybe we could stop getting our drawers in a wad over a word.
FriscoKid
AG
cevans_40 said:

If white people would get together and start beating black people over the word of our choosing, I say cracker, then maybe it would be fair. Of course we would also have to let the latinx's have their word too. Mixed race folks would have to choose one or the other because having 2 wouldn't be fair. Surely we could make this fair somehow.

Or maybe we could stop getting our drawers in a wad over a word.

Yep, you have the power to get offended or not.
Trigger06
AG
This is stupid. I hate that offending someone is now one of the greatest sins you can commit.
MouthBQ98
AG
It was a lecture about hate speech policy. It was presented as an example, not actually used to describe someone or as hate speech actually directed towards someone. It is idiotic to not even allow academic or political discourse discussing offensive material without being able to identify the particular offensive material up for discussion.
FriscoKid
AG
Oh, and the person that said "the word" is a lawyer. She was making a correct legal argument and the school still might fire her.
cevans_40
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It was a lecture about hate speech policy. It was presented as an example, not actually used to describe someone or as hate speech actually directed towards someone. It is idiotic to not even allow academic or political discourse discussing offensive material without being able to identify the particular offensive material up for discussion.

Doesn't matter, white person said it. Must apologize and take your 40 lashes.
aggiejayrod
AG
Trigger06 said:

This is stupid. I hate that offending someone is now one of the greatest sins you can commit.

Whoa hey now. You can't say st*p*d. That's the liberals word
Champ Bailey
AG
FriscoKid said:

Oh, and the person that said "the word" is a lawyer. She was making a correct legal argument and the school still might fire her.

And she will get paid when she wins the inevitable lawsuit.
Cassius
Champ Bailey said:

FriscoKid said:

And she will get paid when she wins the inevitable lawsuit.

Bingo.

Shes gonna get to retire early.
PooDoo
AG
FriscoKid
AG
PooDoo said:

Do you know what the radio call letters were for many many years? True story.
swc93
AG
The N word has been ridiculously shielded my whole adult life. In the 70's you would hear it on TV from Carson to sitcoms and no one cared. NOW I hear it even more but only from minorities.

It is racist that only white people get punished for it. You want it to go away? Then stop using it.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

in our community which prides itself on our diversity and caring nature.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

In the 70's you would hear it on TV from Carson to sitcoms and no one cared
As someone from that time: No. You would not. The one and only time I recall hearing it is the Saturday Night Live skit below.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK, RACIST LANGUAGE

backintexas2013
AG
One of the best skits of all time.
CanyonAg77
AG
backintexas2013 said:

One of the best skits of all time.
Pryor was a genius. Wrote a lot of Blazing Saddles. I didn't know that for a long time, but once I did, his work is obvious, all through the movie.
Maroon Dawn
AG
You have to understand

Liberals hate free speech and the 1st Amendment

They don't want it protected

They want it eradicated

Because when your ideas are terrible and can't compete in the free market, the liberal solution is to get rid of the market and force people to buy only your idea
PooDoo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

As someone from that time: No. You would not. The one and only time I recall hearing it is the Saturday Night Live skit below.

NSFW either. It was used but not all the time

DTP02
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It reduces real conversation to a kindergarten level when we have to say things like "the f-word" or "the n-word" when everyone is clearly talking about the words in a non-offensive, academic manner.

The way we have grown to treat the utterance of a word as the worst thing someone can do is the prime example of how PC ruins, rather than improves, dialogue and relations.
Madman
AG
This reminds me of the Brit who got in trouble for teaching his Pug to Sig Heil. Then in a conversation with a reporter was called a Nazi and told its always wrong to say the words.

Thing is the reporter said the words too, he pointed it out, and watching the reporter's face was priceless.
"The plans for rent subsidies reflect a tendency among the crowded field of Democratic candidates to behave as if the election were an auction in which the highest bidder will claim the nomination." The New York Times Editorial Board
swc93
AG
Seriously; you just don't remember.
CanyonAg77
AG
swc93 said:

Some of both. I don't remember the linked examples. And it was not done normally on regular sitcoms. All in the Family and The Jeffersons were Normal Lear shows, known for pushing the envelope. For instance, Pryor might come on The Tonight Show using it, but Johnny Carson never would.
HtownAg92
AG
Different context, but I've tried many racial discrimination and harassment cases and I absolutely will not utter the word, even if questioning a witness about what he heard or saw written on the wall. In my situation, it isn't being PC, but rather making sure that no juror holds it against me and my side. Lots of plaintiff lawyers in the deep South use it often and without thought, and I've seen jurors of all races cringe when they do. All they are doing is repeating or giving examples too, but it has an impact.
Yelnick McWawa
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

swc93 said:

Some of both. I don't remember the linked examples. And it was not done normally on regular sitcoms. All in the Family and The Jeffersons were Normal Lear shows, known for pushing the envelope. For instance, Pryor might come on The Tonight Show using it, but Johnny Carson never would.
That's my recollection of it too.....though much of my viewing came while the shows were in syndication in the 80s....but yeah the Norman Lear shows are the ones I remember it from, Goodtimes being another example.
4stringAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

There was at least one episode of Sanford & Son where Fred in a courtroom full of blacks said: "There's enough n's in here to make a Tarzan movie.".
4stringAg
AG
Back to the OP, i believe a situation like this was what got the Papa John's founder/CEO let go. He was using it in the context of something but not calling someone it.

The situation in the OP reminds me of the idiotic zero tolerance school policies where a kid can make a gun shape from a half eaten pop tart and get expelled.
Madman
AG
4stringAg said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

There was at least one episode of Sanford & Son where Fred in a courtroom full of blacks said: "There's enough n's in here to make a Tarzan movie.".

"The plans for rent subsidies reflect a tendency among the crowded field of Democratic candidates to behave as if the election were an auction in which the highest bidder will claim the nomination." The New York Times Editorial Board
cevans_40
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Different context, but I've tried many racial discrimination and harassment cases and I absolutely will not utter the word, even if questioning a witness about what he heard or saw written on the wall. In my situation, it isn't being PC, but rather making sure that no juror holds it against me and my side. Lots of plaintiff lawyers in the deep South use it often and without thought, and I've seen jurors of all races cringe when they do. All they are doing is repeating or giving examples too, but it has an impact.

Then those same jurors get in their cars and ride down the road listening to Tu Pac. It would be comical if it wasn't so racist.
Burdizzo
AG
Clob94 said:

White folks have to understand--- you can't even sing the N word in a rap song. If you do, it better be behind a locked door in your shower.

If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass...
RealBad Tree 08
AG
Definition of irony is when one race creates a word to demean and disparage another race, then later when that is finally considered a "bad thing", begins to tell that race how the word should be used going forward. Kind of funny when you think about it
backintexas2013
AG
I remember when Robert Byrd dropped the N word on national TV. The Dems defended him because he said white before dropping it.
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.