Street crime forces small environmentally-conscious company to flee Seattle

2,610 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by MassAggie97
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[url=https://q13fox.com/2019/10/08/redmond-police-seize-guns-over-joker-threat-made-on-twitter/]https://komonews.com/news/project-seattle/street-crime-forces-city-funded-biotech-startup-to-flee-seattle[/url]

A company that epitomizes Seattle's environmental values is packing up and leaving town because of street crime and its president is putting the blame on city policy.
Since 2016, Impact Bioenergy has been running a micro food digester in a converted shipping container in the parking lot of Fremont Brewing in Ballard. It takes some of the 10,000 pounds of used grain the brewery generates daily, as well as food scraps from nearby restaurants, and converts it into natural gas and fertilizer.
Unfortunately, the quintessential Seattle business that prides itself in being in the forefront of a green economy is leaving.
"Just all this street crime is crushing us, we are a small company we just can't do it," says Allen.
Over the past three years, he says the company has suffered wire theft and the theft of their electric cargo tricycle for collecting food.
"I think it's a little bit naive to think that all the folks that are living around in vehicles and all that - they are not good people, they are just killing us with theft," says Allen.
Because of all the theft and vandalism, he says it doesn't make business sense to keep the digester running.
"It's sad and demoralizing," says Fremont Brewing co-owner Sara Nelson. "What they were trying to do would be so good for the environment and small businesses."
She'll now be trucking more of the used grain out of town.
Agnzona
Hum, has liberalism ever made a place better? Liberals you are obviously not a liberal because it works, so do you fools really think you will be selected to be one of the elites?

It makes no sense......
"It's what I do...I drink and I know things."
BigRobSA
#BestTrump!
Yelnick McWawa
AG
Reality strikes again!

And yet I bet you dollars to donuts this company will move to a much more 'red' place and vote a straight 'blue' ticket.
fullback44
AG
Liberals could F up just about anything .. esp these big cities
Stålkofta
They should just take twice as much used grain and food waste and sell more of their product to buy the bodyguards required to survive in Seattle. Just make sure they aren't armed and don't cause violence to those poor, innocent thieves. That would be defending one's property...and they can't have that in Seattle.

Leftists should be forced to live and work in the situations they create with their non-stop stupidity.

But when it all goes wrong, these clowns will flee to a safe moderate or conservative town and proceed to hose it with their Chavista idiocy.

oldcrow91
AG
What were these guys doing? Do they not have dumpsters to throw their stuff away in Seattle?
chevy con queso
AG
I am wondering how much "impact" this company is making if their business operates out of a connex box in a parking lot.

Color me suspicious. It seems like feel good hippy bull to me.
CalebMcCreary06
AG
Anyone else see the glorious irony in a green energy company being forced to truck more product out of town? LOL goodbye carbon footprint reduction
aggiebq03+
BigRobSA said:

#BestTrump!

#BestTDS
Wildcat
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

Anyone else see the glorious irony in a green energy company being forced to truck more product out of town? LOL goodbye carbon footprint reduction
This.

Quote:

She'll now be trucking more of the used grain out of town.

When you do a cost-benefit analysis of this activity on the back end, the diesel exhaust required to haul the raw materials out of town will most likely make this a fool's errand. But hey, it's "Green", so it can't be bad.
SquareOne07
AG
"Electric cargo tricycle"
MassAggie97
AG
Only on Texags could people celebrate a small business that meets a local need packing up and leaving because of crime.

And some of you have reading comprehension issues.
CanyonAg77
AG
MassAggie97 said:

Only on Texags could people celebrate a small business that meets a local need packing up and leaving because of crime.

No, it's pretty universal to laugh at naive fools who think liberal policies are great....until reality slaps them in the face.

And it ran off a government grant, so there's an excellent chance it wasn't really meeting needs.
Kozmozag
Good intentions meet hard reality. Dam, they stole his electric tricycle. That's cold.
Wildcat
AG
Take that sanctimonious crap elsewhere. Seattle, bastion of leftist-progressive ideology, can't keep it's subsidized "green" business in town because it can't perform the most basic of government functions of curtailing petty crime. Now the business will truck biomass out of the city for conversion to "green" energy sources in what is almost assuredly a net loss on a carbon footprint. It's not being celebrated, smart guy, but mocked.

Owlagdad
Hire the homeless to collect poop n the streets and make methane.
CalebMcCreary06
AG
This is the solution we all need.
Krautag81
chevy con queso said:

I am wondering how much "impact" this company is making if their business operates out of a connex box in a parking lot.

I think your right, hippie bull. They can sell that spent grain to farmers and rancher for their cows. The food scraps can go to the hogs. Yes, calling BS.
Krautag81
Krautag81 said:

chevy con queso said:

I think your right, hippie bull. They can sell that spent grain to farmers and rancher for their cows. The food scraps can go to the hogs. Yes, calling BS.
By the way, 10,000 lbs isn't squat.
Ag87H2O
AG
Wildcat said:

Take that sanctimonious crap elsewhere. Seattle, bastion of leftist-progressive ideology, can't keep it's subsidized "green" business in town because it can't perform the most basic of government functions of curtailing petty crime. Now the business will truck biomass out of the city for conversion to "green" energy sources in what is almost assuredly a net loss on a carbon footprint. I'ts not being celebrated, smart guy, but mocked.

EOT
Ciboag96
I luv me some lib on lib action.

Agnzona
MassAggie97 said:

Please list liberal success stories.
txaggie_08
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

Just for clarity sake, it's not the green company that's now having to ship product, it's the brewery that was supplying the green company the used grains.
BigOil
AG
I think the environment won't miss a beat. I doubt anyone's quality of life will suffer.
Cassius
MassAggie97 said:

Only on TexAgs could a lib completely and totally miss the point!

Here's clue little fellow: we are celebrating the fact that liberalism fails, every time, all the time! The owner is having to shut down because of your fellow liberals' social and economic policies. We would hope that publishing these results might change a liberal's mind, obviously not yours since you can't comprehend the root cause and miss the main point.
Wildcat
AG
txaggie_08 said:

CalebMcCreary06 said:

Just for clarity sake, it's not the green company that's now having to ship product, it's the brewery that was supplying the green company the used grains.

You are right. The "green" company just closed the doors altogether, so the impact is even worse than I originally realized.
deddog
AG
Agnzona said:

MassAggie97 said:

Please list liberal success stories.
Does the Chinese stomping freedom loving protestors in Hong Kong count?
Agnzona
Yes it does since they also made insulting a flag a crime. Only liberals could come up with insults to inanimate objects as offensive. I can't tell you how many times I cussed out a hammer in my life.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

The "green" company just closed the doors altogether, so the impact is even worse than I originally realized.

They didn't shut down. They moved the conex to an undisclosed college campus so the students there could virtue signal.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Krautag81 said:

Krautag81 said:

chevy con queso said:

By the way, 10,000 lbs isn't squat.
Judging from the limited view in the video, I would bet they only process a couple of hundred pounds. The actual digestor looked pretty small. Also would want to know the processing time for that to achieve final product.

They did say pilot project so we are talking small, but to ramp it up to handle the 10,000 lbs would require a pretty large footprint and we all know real estate costs money. And impinges on where these homeless thieves and vandals can camp/sleep.
Urban Ag
AG
MassAggie97 said:

Fireman
AG
SquareOne07 said:

Cow Hop Ag
AG
Fireman said:

SquareOne07 said:

They should have had two tricycles.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Fireman said:

SquareOne07 said:

Not to derail this thread, but I remember a bunch of aggies making the news for designing a washing machine out of a 5 gallon bucket that ran on your bicycle like this. It was designed for 3rd world countries to use if they didn't have electricity.

Ironically, has a higher chance of being used on the west coast here in the states than anywhere else.
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.