California to shut off power to 800,000 users

12,143 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by BenFiasco14
Mtn_Guide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/pg-e-warns-it-may-cut-power-for-600-000-customers-due-to-wildfire-risk-11570513569

The jist is, due to all of the fires last year PG&E doesn't want to take on the risk of more fires. The answer just shut off the power to almost a million people for the next cold front. Northern California is about to get the second big cold front of the year and no one is going to have power for heat.

What could go wrong?
Democratic Socialism is the same as real socialism, but for the intellectually inept.
austinAG90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
#1. It's not going to be that cold and #2 I'm sure people would rather lose some power than have their houses burned down. This is serious stuff. PG&E literally can not afford to have a major fire break out

Of course California is to blame with their stupid laws on liability and what for it - don't trim trees we need to save the environment.

If I was in charge - I'd turn the power off when the winds hit and sit back.
riverrataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wtf. And I thought Oncor was bad.
OkinTexas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went a mess.

You're good right?

I've seen posts of your castle MTN. You've a sweet setup, obviously built from hard work.

This is ridiculous. Paradise Lost.
rocky the dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
austinAG90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What most people don't know is that under California law (IC) if PG&E's equipment is found to have started a fire regardless of it was negligence or just happened to fallen over during extreme winds.

PG&E is liable to every insurance company that pays out P&C claims. This isn't even talking about Tort Claims on loss of life etc. which can go 3X

So yeah - they're going to shut that power off.
Pelayo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damned if you damned if you don't situation
austinAG90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let insurance pay homeowners for loss of food. But when Granny Smith dies well, you're right

Damned.
ntxVOL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't blame PG&E at all but, people could die. SMH, California is so screwed up.
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool. Now they can know what its like to like in Venezuela for a week.
zoneag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a good practice run for the Green New Deal
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question: Why does California have more massive wildfires than other states given they are so focused on climate change?
Aggie4Life02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blackouts in a communist country? Color me surprised!
austinAG90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They have stupid laws on trimming along power lines. Don't require crews to cut back as far as most states. Also, in areas like where fires occur you would think underground lines would be best. But it's Cali.
Maroon Dawn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This where a Concerned Moderate tells us Cali is too big and rich to EVER become Venezuela no matter how much liberal idiocy they pursue
WoMD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mtn_Guide said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/pg-e-warns-it-may-cut-power-for-600-000-customers-due-to-wildfire-risk-11570513569

The jist is, due to all of the fires last year PG&E doesn't want to take on the risk of more fires. The answer just shut off the power to almost a million people for the next cold front. Northern California is about to get the second big cold front of the year and no one is going to have power for heat.

What could go wrong?

It's the wind, not the cold. This is the warmest part of the year, power for heat is not an issue. Power for air conditioning would actually be more significant if anything.

Luckily SF proper isn't in the shutoff list, but damn if that's a huge area being impacted. Crazy.

That being said, I'll gladly take the inconvenience over the hell from the fires the last few years. You guys have no idea how awful they were. Just devastating. So many people lost their homes and many died. The air was unbreathable for a month. I couldn't see the downtown buildings through the smoke and I literally live in the middle of the city. Just a horrific time.

So, annoying as it is, I will accept being overcautious if the alternative is a risk of a repeat of the past. It sounds like this is the only solution at this point, so I for one will accept it for now.
angus55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s.
BigRobSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
#AwesomeTrump
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
California

Don't care

At all

riverrataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Muy said:

Question: Why does California have more massive wildfires than other states given they are so focused on climate change?


Not sure but my understanding is there are a number of native plants that can only germinate from fire. So sounds like a good place to build a house.
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What did socialists use to light their homes before candles? Electricity!
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WoMD said:

Mtn_Guide said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/pg-e-warns-it-may-cut-power-for-600-000-customers-due-to-wildfire-risk-11570513569

The jist is, due to all of the fires last year PG&E doesn't want to take on the risk of more fires. The answer just shut off the power to almost a million people for the next cold front. Northern California is about to get the second big cold front of the year and no one is going to have power for heat.

What could go wrong?

It's the wind, not the cold. This is the warmest part of the year, power for heat is not an issue. Power for air conditioning would actually be more significant if anything.

Luckily SF proper isn't in the shutoff list, but damn if that's a huge area being impacted. Crazy.

That being said, I'll gladly take the inconvenience over the hell from the fires the last few years. You guys have no idea how awful they were. Just devastating. So many people lost their homes and many died. The air was unbreathable for a month. I couldn't see the downtown buildings through the smoke and I literally live in the middle of the city. Just a horrific time.

So, annoying as it is, I will accept being overcautious if the alternative is a risk of a repeat of the past. It sounds like this is the only solution at this point, so I for one will accept it for now.
I hope what you have been told is right, would not want people starting fires to stay warm at night...
Mtn_Guide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
austinAG90 said:

#1. It's not going to be that cold


The low in Bridgeport tomorrow night is 14 but thanks for input.
Democratic Socialism is the same as real socialism, but for the intellectually inept.
No Pressure
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They can seek advice from all the Houston dummies on Griddy how to cope with lack of power at a time of need. Something about malls and movies.
Mtn_Guide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
San Fran isn't the rest of the state. The idea that it's the warmest time of the year is just silly
We are going to be in the teens and 20s much of the mountains. You are right that it's the winds but how come no other state shuts down the power grid when it gets windy? And, it's not even that windy.
Democratic Socialism is the same as real socialism, but for the intellectually inept.
Mtn_Guide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Muy said:

Question: Why does California have more massive wildfires than other states given they are so focused on climate change?


California's climate lends itself to wet maritime winter with heavy precip and very dry summers. Additionally, winters have historically been wildly inconsistent. Granted I live in Nevada but where I live the average yearly snowfall is ~350" of snow a year with a standard deviations of 154". So 200" - 500" is considered normal.

So wet years spur huge vegetive growth followed by long dry periods of 4-6 months or more. Normally, fires would cycle through and burn out the under growth and left the bigger trees untouched. ( hence why we have massive pine trees, survival of the fire resistant) Now, after 70 years of fire suppression, the undergrowth and downed fuels create fires so intense not even the most evolved trees survive.
Democratic Socialism is the same as real socialism, but for the intellectually inept.
backintexas2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WoMD said:

Mtn_Guide said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/pg-e-warns-it-may-cut-power-for-600-000-customers-due-to-wildfire-risk-11570513569

The jist is, due to all of the fires last year PG&E doesn't want to take on the risk of more fires. The answer just shut off the power to almost a million people for the next cold front. Northern California is about to get the second big cold front of the year and no one is going to have power for heat.

What could go wrong?

It's the wind, not the cold. This is the warmest part of the year, power for heat is not an issue. Power for air conditioning would actually be more significant if anything.

Luckily SF proper isn't in the shutoff list, but damn if that's a huge area being impacted. Crazy.

That being said, I'll gladly take the inconvenience over the hell from the fires the last few years. You guys have no idea how awful they were. Just devastating. So many people lost their homes and many died. The air was unbreathable for a month. I couldn't see the downtown buildings through the smoke and I literally live in the middle of the city. Just a horrific time.

So, annoying as it is, I will accept being overcautious if the alternative is a risk of a repeat of the past. It sounds like this is the only solution at this point, so I for one will accept it for now.


So I understand it this will not impact you AT ALL but you will gladly accept this over fires. Hmmmm. How noble and brave of you. Doesn't impact me but I am ok with it. This is liberalism 101.
valvemonkey91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good! I hope the power stays out for a long time. Anything bad that happens to those socialist mf'ers is fine with me. If you live there and don't agree with the politicians, MOVE. California is lost.
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder how many small businesses will fail due to this.

Small margins and being forced to close for 5 days is not a good combination.

Also, the folks living at home with electric powered oxygen generators or other medical problems are screwed.

Then, you have the folks living in apartments that likely have no grill (you know, because you can't cook on a grill on the balcony), that won't be able to cook anything. Maybe the soup kitchens will find a way to remain open.
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gas stations, grocery stores, cell towers...
No food, no fuel, no communication.

What could go wrong?
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's happening
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bet they get sued for shutting power off as well. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Surely they have plans in place for the hospitals etc
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So much for alternative energy generation sources - solar, wind, hydro, etc., if you are forced to take down the means of electricity distribution.

Sounds like there are plenty of wood sources for campfires. Plenty of homeless people already so a few more shouldn't have too much impact.

I'm starting to wonder if some of those dystopian future movies like Arnold Schwarzenegger as "The Butcher of Bakersfield" in "Running Man" might actually happen.
Kozmozag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The fact, that that is acceptable by a state government is amazing.
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some animals are more equal than others
Page 1 of 5
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.