Wash Post go Full "Nazi" on The Lion King

C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excerpts cut-and-snipped down below

The Lion King' is a fascistic story. No remake can change that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/07/10/lion-king-is-fascistic-story-no-remake-can-change-that/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cd6adb6a3b63

But as nostalgic as "Circle of Life" may make us feel, this bombastic scene is also a painful reminder of the film's ideological agenda: It introduces us to a society where the weak have learned to worship at the feet of the strong.

As we watch the herbivores congregate to bow down before their newborn ruler, "The Lion King" offers us a seductive worldview in which absolute power goes unquestioned, and where the weak and the vulnerable are fundamentally inferior. In other words: "The Lion King" offers us fascist ideology writ large, and there seems to be no way out for the forthcoming remake.

As in every fable, a variety of cute and cuddly figures stand in for human societal organizations.
But by using predator-prey relationships to allegorize human power, the film almost inevitably incorporates the white supremacist's worldview, one in which some groups of people are inherently superior to others.

But the sympathies of "The Lion King" lie elsewhere. Doubling down on Disney's historical obsession with patriarchal monarchies, it places the audience's point of view squarely with the autocratic lions, whose Pride Rock literally looks down upon all of society's weaker groups a kind of Trump Tower of the African savanna.

With the lions standing in for the ruling class and the "good" herbivores embodying society's decent, law-abiding citizens, the hyenas transparently represent the black, brown and disabled bodies that are forcefully excluded from this fascist society. Noticeably marked by their ethnically coded "street" accents, the hyenas blatantly symbolize racist and anti-Semitic stereotypes of "verminous" groups that form an inherent threat to society.

With these elements in place, the film's plot centers on what happens when the "natural" supremacy of traditional patriarchal rule is interrupted.

But as so often in Hollywood films, the explicit Nazi iconography serves primarily to distract us from the heroes' own fascism. Simba's final ascent to the throne, his masculine roar returning Scar's dystopia to its Edenic natural state, is nothing less than the Fhrer Principle at work: the idea that those we entrust with positions of leadership are blessed with a natural, even divine superiority.

In obvious efforts to resonate with the company's thematically similar "Black Panther," Disney publicists have doubled down on pitching this remake as diverse and inclusive.

It's tempting therefore to jump on the Disney bandwagon and celebrate the admirable work the company has been doing on this front. And yes, even the most brazenly opportunistic and superficial attempts to improve the way women, people of color, LGBT people and the disabled are made visible in our popular culture make a real difference.

But it's also not enough. In our increasingly nostalgic culture, we need to recognize that the real problem with "The Lion King" isn't the ethnicity of its voice actors, just as the inherent misogyny of "The Little Mermaid" can't be salvaged by casting a black actress in a role that's notorious for sexualizing and objectifying teenage girls' bodies. These films consistently champion authoritarian and anti-democratic values by reproducing a worldview in which power, strength and privilege are genetically determined, and where the weak and vulnerable only exist to serve, support and flatter their masters.
C@LAg
No we know who was always picked last in dodge-ball.
And I bet he has a soy-boy smile.
Paradise Ag
AG

Or it could just be a musical about cartoon animals.

There's that possibility.
C@LAg
Paradise Ag said:

you sound racist.

/s
smango05
AG
That people can spend the time and energy to worry about stupid **** like this is a testament to how well our country is doing economically.

This comrade obviously has very little stress or problems in his life that are not self-induced as a result of his white guilt or need to virtue signal.

However, I am certain he has hundreds of thousands in student debt for his degree in underwater basket weaving that he is now shocked he actually has to pay back.
captkirk
AG
SJW libs are an absolutely miserable lot

I guess the animals in tribal Africa should have organized themselves as an egalitarian, vegan, Marxist hippie commune
"In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children...You do know that legislation around this EXACT issue was presented in the last legislative session." - ArcticPenguin
Owlagdad
So the weak are subject to the strong ? Well duh. What drivel.
We could give all of us x amount of dollars and all be equal and it would be unequal in about ten minutes, and lots of libs would be taking advantage of the weak as they do now.
diablo loco
lions aren't equal. They're the kings of the jungle. They will rip your throat out if you **** with them. haha.
C@LAg
continuing his analogies, in typical liberal fashion he ignores the inherent black-on-black violence in this version of the movie, that leads to another broken black family and a cub raised without a father.
andyv94
AG
He is definitely a soy-boy

"Dan Hassler-Forest is an author and public speaker on media franchises, cultural theory, and political economy. He lives in the Netherlands and works as assistant professor in the Media Studies department of Utrecht University."

Media franchise
Cultural theory
Political economy

In other words three useless topics
BigRobSA
You have to be one insufferable f/ckstick to come up with the drivel he(?) did re: Lion King.
aggiedata
AG
In the remake, Simba is a vegan.
captkirk
AG

Note the Commie Superman logo shirt
"In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children...You do know that legislation around this EXACT issue was presented in the last legislative session." - ArcticPenguin
Maroon Dawn
AG
Dear Liberals,

1) nobody is accusing Disney of originality. LK is a shameless ripoff of Hamlet which is about the members of a royal family but, you know, with animals which brings us to:

2) Nature is cruel and does not care about your feelings and Animals are not equal (see Animal Farm) Darwin's first law is that the weak perish and the strong survive. Be glad humans ignore this and allow weak beta soy boys like the author of this crap to pollute the gene pool
C@LAg
Maroon Dawn said:

Dear Liberals,

1) nobody is accusing Disney of originality. LK is a shameless ripoff of Hamlet which is about the members of a royal family but, you know, with animals which brings us to:

actually, LK is a rip-off of Kimba, the White Lion. With very little of Hamlet actually in it.
Muy
AG
Being a liberal weakling sounds like a miserable existence.

On another note, soyboys love to think we are no better than animals. What they don't understand is the "circle of life" in the animal kingdom isn't a bunch of animals living in harmony.
YouBet
AG
Points to him for somehow working Trump into a Lion King review. Will The Little Mermaids underwater castle be an analogy to Trump Tower? Will people obsessing over background footage discover images of Trumps hands hidden in scenes?

They will have to look really hard to find them, if so!
blindey
AG
Paradise Ag said:

or if they really want depth, it's Shakespeare's Hamlet with animals.

What passes for "journalism" anymore is troubling.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sorry to let you libtards down but Simba grew up to be King. Yes he was born into lion privilege so what. And he was pounding Nala too and wasn't gay or transitioning.

Deal with it *****es.
Satellite of Love
C@LAg said:

Excerpts cut-and-snipped down below

The Lion King' is a fascistic story. No remake can change that.

What a dumb article. To be fair to this statement, Disney totally ripped of Kimba the White Lion.
scd88
AG
Shame on the Washington Post for giving this shill space to promote this bag of crap. The author makes a weak attempt to tie a ****ing movie to victim hood, isn't even from the US, and WaPi buys into it?

Shameful. The media continues to create division in our country when its not there.

This is a cartoon movie. What's next? Critiquing "Up" for some reason?
CanyonAg77
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Sorry to let you libtards down but Simba grew up to be King. Yes he was born into lion privilege so what. And he was pounding Nala too and wasn't gay or transitioning.

Deal with it *****es.
Only one lion breeds with all the females in the pride. So Nala is his half sister.
CanyonAg77
AG
scd88 said:

Old man uses greenhouse gas to escape taxation in the US, pedophile kidnaps young boy, dumps litter on pristine South American country.
Yelnick McWawa
AG
I used to scoff at my Grandaddy 25 years ago when he would say things like "we need another depression" or "we need another world war". Now that I'm middle aged, I understand what he meant. This article is the perfect example of the mentality of a generation(s) that have never known real sacrifice and toil. Life is pretty GD good when you've got time to not only ponder crap like this, but actually put pen to paper and espouse these garbage beliefs in one of the nation's largest newspapers.
Sarge 91
AG
andyv94 said:

He is definitely a soy-boy

"Dan Hassler-Forest is an author and public speaker on media franchises, cultural theory, and political economy. He lives in the Netherlands and works as assistant professor in the Media Studies department of Utrecht University."

Media franchise
Cultural theory
Political economy

In other words there useless topics

Plus a hyphenated last name. Beta male.
"Compromises in US politics just mean the dems get 80% of what they want and have to wait a few years to get the rest.”

IDaggie06
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Maybe this pride was from Arkansas or Oklahoma ?
Squadron7
AG
scd88 said:

Shame on the Washington Post for giving this shill space to promote this bag of crap. The author makes a weak attempt to tie a ****ing movie to victim hood, isn't even from the US, and WaPi buys into it?

Shameful. The media continues to create division in our country when its not there.

I disagree. I want these people heard.

This this is how you get even more Trump.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Diverse and inclusive of you're black. No whites allowed.
Squadron7
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

I used to scoff at my Grandaddy 25 years ago when he would say things like "we need another depression" or "we need another world war". Now that I'm middle aged, I understand what he meant. This article is the perfect example of the mentality of a generation(s) that have never known real sacrifice and toil. Life is pretty GD good when you've got time to not only ponder crap like this, but actually put pen to paper and espouse these garbage beliefs in one of the nation's largest newspapers.

An economy that can afford to pay this guy to write is very rich indeed. This twit is no different than, say, $7 gourmet dog biscuits.
DSAg44
AG
If Mufasa was played by rapinoe, it would have been a work of art. Shame on Disney.
commando2004
AG
Quote:

a kind of Trump Tower of the African savanna.
Someone's TDS is showing!
CanyonAg77
AG
I agree with those who think this is way to much effort put into a cartoon.

But the libs freaking love the show and movie, because it puts Africa, and thus, blacks, in such a positive light.

So it cracks me up to see one of their own attacking the show.
commando2004
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

But the libs freaking love the show and movie, because it puts Africa, and thus, blacks, in such a positive light.
Though, there are no human characters in the movie. For all we know, all the lions would love nothing more than to eat a Black guy, but just aren't shown having the opportunity.
scd88
AG
I need this cat's analysis of Madagascar because, you know, King Julian...

Squadron7
AG
How those "ruling" lions actually deal with their...um...subjects...doesn't make for a very good children's movie.
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.