Ilhan Omar Filed Taxes Jointly With a Man Who Was Not Her Husband

4,399 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Synopsis
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

A report released by the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board shows that Rep. Ilhan Omar broke federal tax law by filing her taxes jointly with a man to whom she was not legally married.

The Thursday report found that Omar filed joint tax returns in 2014 and 2015 with Ahmed Hirsi, her current husband, whom she did not legally marry until 2018.

The Minnesota Democrat had originally married Hirsi in a religious ceremony in 2002, but the couple separated in 2008. Omar then legally married another man, Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, in 2009. The two divorced according to their faith tradition in 2011, but Omar did not legally end the divorce until 2017.

Omar got back together with Hirsi, her first husband, in 2012 but they were not legally married and eligible to file taxes together until 2018.

The finding by the Minnesota Campaign Board means Omar tax returns were in violation of federal law.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ilhan-omar-may-have-broken-federal-tax-law-according-to-new-campaign-finance-report?
"In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children...You do know that legislation around this EXACT issue was presented in the last legislative session." - ArcticPenguin
IrishTxAggie
AG
Give her the full Manafort!
Cassius
Can we finally arrest this grifter and send her back to Somalia where she belongs?
BQ78
AG
Is she a Republican? No, so no issue at all.
VaultingChemist
AG
She appears to be in need of a good stoning.
Aggiebrewer
AG
if you notice you are sexist or racist or an islamaphobic
mjfrog
AG
Confused, which is the brother?
Slicer97
AG
C'mon, man, ease up. Don't you think asking a congress critter to understand federal law is asking a little much?

Just let her pay the difference + penalty so she can get back to destroying our nation without being harassed by stuff that gets regular American citizens tossed in prison.
zephyr88
AG
It's sad when the actions of a political shill like Omar aren't plastered all over the news.

It's also sad when TexAgs becomes my main source of news.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Better commentary than MSM too!
mm98
AG
IRS recognizes common law and I'm sure she'll claim ignorance on the two years where she was cohabiting while not yet divorced.

Can't stand her but this won't result in anything major
aggie appraiser
mm98 said:

IRS recognizes common law and I'm sure she'll claim ignorance on the two years where she was cohabiting while not yet divorced.

what about bigamy?
mm98
AG
aggie appraiser said:

mm98 said:

what about bigamy?

I'll bet she claims ignorance. "It wasn't intentional," after all.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
captkirk said:

Quote:

Omar got back together with Hirsi, her first husband, in 2012 but they were not legally married and eligible to file taxes together until 2018.

Congrats to Hirsi for winning the crown of "Stupidest Man in the World". Bravo.
bmks270
AG
I have a suspicion that elected officials commit tax fraud at a rate many times that of the public.
Ellis Wyatt
aggie appraiser said:

mm98 said:

what about bigamy?
You have to respect her culture since she's a democrat and not an old white man. mm is right. Nothing will happen.
Central Committee
AG
Why is it that democrats have such a hard time paying their taxes (yet want the rest of us to pay more)?

Omar, AOC, Al Sharpton, Stacy Abrams...
Regards & Gig'em
30wedge
She will play the "I'm a dumb Somali card" soon enough. She needs to be out of office and off being a pirate like the others.
Ellis Wyatt
Central Committee said:

Why is it that democrats have such a hard time paying their taxes (yet want the rest of us to pay more)?

Omar, AOC, Al Sharpton, Stacy Abrams...
The Party always plays by different rules. Ones for me and not for thee.
mm98
AG
30wedge said:

She will play the "I'm a dumb Somali card" soon enough. She needs to be out of office and off being a pirate like the others.

Cant understand our tax laws.

But let's let her recreate the rest of the laws.
IrishTxAggie
AG
mm98 said:

30wedge said:

But let's let her implement the rest of the Sharia laws.

FIFY
30wedge
mm98 said:

30wedge said:

But let's let her recreate the rest of the laws.
Quite true, not even the basics such as filing status. But there is not a single member of Congress that understands our tax laws. Kevin Brady thought that reducing the number of tax brackets (in an early version of Trump's tax plan) was simplification. I think they should have to take a test after each vote. The top one third get a raise, the middle one-third gets a pay cut in the same amount, and the bottom one third gets executed.
fullback44
AG
VaultingChemist said:

She appears to be in need of a good stoning.

That may be a little harsh... I would say 100 swats with a cane pole would work !
UTExan
Congressional Ethics Committee will be all over this in 3....2.....<crickets>
GenericAggie
AG
Wouldn't she have paid more with married status?
Blah blah
smango05
AG
Was it her brother? Wasn't she married to her brother?
LOYAL AG
AG
bmks270 said:

I have a suspicion that elected officials commit tax fraud at a rate many times that of the public.
If you're not committing some kind of tax fraud that's on you. Like they say, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying.".
strbrst777
You are married or you are not. It's not complicated to know which. How is filing as a married couple when not married to the other person on the tax return not fraud? There is no honest error or "mistake" here. This person gets to vote on our tax laws. How idiotic is that? Throw the book at her!
txagbear
Tax returns tell us a lot about a person. Lets see them all
Tom Doniphon
AG
As just the average Joe taxpayer, try pulling these shenanigans with the IRS and see how they treat you compared to this wh*re.
Rapier108
She's a Democrat, female, black, immigrant, and Muslim.

She is safe for any kind of political or legal trouble. She could set off a nuclear bomb and get away with it.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
30wedge
strbrst777 said:

You are married or you are not. It's not complicated to know which. How is filing as a married couple when not married to the other person on the tax return not fraud? There is no honest error or "mistake" here. This person gets to vote on our tax laws. How idiotic is that? Throw the book at her!
Years ago when I was still taking new clients, quite a few couples from south of the border would bring in their prior year return (returns, in this case) and, though they were married, both of them would file as head of household.
BuddysBud
AG
Rapier108 said:

She's a Democrat, female, black, immigrant, and Muslim.

She is safe for any kind of political or legal trouble. She could set off a nuclear bomb and get away with it.

But Omar keeps reminding us that no one, including the president should be above the law.
Owlagdad
Drive home radio had Rep Cummings lecturing how Trump breaks constitution while his wife cheats the hell out of a charity. Nothing will be done. And that is why they do it.
combat wombat™
AG
The IRS does recognize common law marriages. HOWEVER, I am pretty sure you can't be common law married to dude A while still legally married to dude B.

She should have a filed with "married filing separately" or "married (to dude B)" until she was legally divorced from dude B.

But this is going NOWHERE.
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.