So Donald was shown a tunnel underneath a wall

No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And just a few miles where he stood, by a Border Patrol Agent showing him how a wall isn't keeping people that really want to get in out. Does it make it harder for him to show just how effective a wall is at keeping people out, or does he know his base doesn't care and just ignores that fact and still go on with how he needs to evoke emergency powers to build the wall?
aTm2004
AG
Or maybe the wall is 30 feet high and goes 30 feed into the ground?

Or maybe there's other plans for the trolls?
MEENAGGIE09
AG
One question...

Is the wall more effective than nothing?
Pro Sandy
AG
No Spin Ag said:

And just a few miles where he stood, by a Border Patrol Agent showing him how a wall isn't keeping people that really want to get in out. Does it make it harder for him to show just how effective a wall is at keeping people out, or does he know his base doesn't care and just ignores that fact and still go on with how he needs to evoke emergency powers to build the wall?
Does the wall significantly reduce the number of people coming through illegally or is the number of people using the tunnel the same as before there was a wall?
Oyster DuPree
AG
The wall just got 10 feet deeper
Ag87H2O
AG
Maybe we can learn a few lessons from Israel. They've gotten pretty good at identifying and blowing up tunnels. They've also built an extremely effective wall.
GreyhoundDad
Is it easier to put gas in your tank with a bucket or a funnel?
aggie93
AG
That would be a valid argument if Trump was saying that building a wall will stop all illegal immigration but no one is saying that. What he IS saying is that it is one part of the plan and will definitely make an impact on the amount of illegals. IFor instance if you build a true wall and give the Border Patrol more resources to police it and to look for tunnels or similar it will cut things back a LOT but there is no perfect plan.

Also another strawman is when people talk about visa overstays being the primary source of illegals and thus we shouldn't build a wall. While technically true I'm sure the visa overstays aren't nearly the threat of an open border where ANYONE can come across with no verification whatsoever. At least someone who overstays their visa was able to GET a visa and they are less likely to be a threat. They should still be pursued and sent back but they are not the biggest danger.
Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant; it is just that they know so much that isn't so.

Ronald Reagan
Rockdoc
AG
Let's see OP. Digging a long tunnel or just walking across. Hmmm....
C@LAg
Ag87H2O said:

Maybe we can learn a few lessons from Israel. They've gotten pretty good at identifying and blowing up tunnels. They've also built an extremely effective wall.
except their wall is like 37.9 cubits long.
Wabs
AG
MEENAGGIE09 said:

One question...

Is the wall more effective than nothing?
This. The wall is a PIECE of the border security solution. People acting like it's the complete solution are idiots.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Shawshank Redemption would be a much shorter movie if Andy just had to walk out of the prison...
chris1515
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

How is Mexico going to be able to pay for this change order?
No Spin Ag
Pro Sandy said:

No Spin Ag said:

Does the wall significantly reduce the number of people coming through illegally or is the number of people using the tunnel the same as before there was a wall?
No argument that a wall would be more than nothing. My thing is, with the tunnels under the wall now being known and out there, does he still try to say we still need a wall, evoke emergency powers that will set a precedence for future presidents to use for their agendas, just to get it.
Ag87H2O
AG
C@LAg said:

Ag87H2O said:

except their wall is like 37.9 cubits long.
It's actually 440 miles long.
TEXIT
I've stopped locking the doors on my house because bad guys could always just break a window to get in.
This sig line is epic.
ApachePilot
AG
So if the wall isn't 100% effective then don't do it? Very few things in life are 100% effective. The wall will funnel folks to certain areas aiding the BP or slow the invaders down increasing the odds they don't get through.

I flew border on two separate tours and imo the wall is a tool that is needed to assist the agencies guarding the border. Anyone that doesn't understand that is being naive at best.
Troutslime
AG
Pump the tunnel full of concrete.
VaultingChemist
AG

Why do I need locks on my door? Someone can just use a crowbar and get in my house.
akm91
chris1515 said:

Oyster DuPree said:

How is Mexico going to be able to pay for this change order?
How cute.....too bad you weren't this diligent holding Obama to his campaign talking points.
Pro Sandy
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Pro Sandy said:

No Spin Ag said:

No argument that a wall would be more than nothing. My thing is, with the tunnels under the wall now being known and out there, does he still try to say we still need a wall, evoke emergency powers that will set a precedence for future presidents to use for their agendas, just to get it.
We have been under a national emergency since 1979. There are over 30 currently ongoing.
akm91
ApachePilot said:

So if the wall isn't 100% effective then don't do it? Very few things in life are 100% effective. The wall will funnel folks to certain areas aiding the BP or slow the invaders down increasing the odds they don't get through.

I flew border on two separate tours and imo the wall is a tool that is needed to assist the agencies guarding the border. Anyone that doesn't understand that is being naive at best.
No, they're just being intentionally obtuse due to the fact they don't care about illegal aliens invading our country.
Mayor West
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Shawshank Redemption would be a much shorter movie if Andy just had to walk out of the prison...

No Spin Ag
Pro Sandy said:

No Spin Ag said:

Pro Sandy said:

No Spin Ag said:

We have been under a national emergency since 1979. There are over 30 currently ongoing.
So then are you saying the right will have no problem when the next dem potus has a temper tantrum and calls guns a national emergency and actually takes them away. And then throws in climate change in just for sheits and giggles. Cause if the right can get a Donald imagine the left's version.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Install the wall down to the bedrock (or deeper). install seismic sensors along the wall that would warn of any digging.

There's a lot of technology that could be used to supplement a wall/fence. My Arlo security cameras can notify me of motion caused by vehicles, people, animals, and even detects packages left on the porch. I'm sure the government has even better/more accurate stuff than that.
chris1515
AG
I think the truth is a wall isn't perfect, but it's not completely useless either...it's somewhere in the middle. It will be effective in some places and situations, and not in others.

Unfortunately, neither side can admit this.

I think it has a place as one of many tools used to prevent illegal border crossings.

Ellis Wyatt
I think we should throw liberals into every tunnel we find. That'll keep illegals from using them.
Verne Lundquist
AG
That's it....tear down all existing barriers...open borders
ABCDE
Although I'm in favor for the wall I would like to see them focus on removing the motivation for coming over illegally. I would like to see a strong, everlasting and dedicated effort to seek, capture and deport illegals. If they are always looking over their shoulder and in fear of being deported and losing possessions they have accumulated while here illegally would be a deterrent I would think. Also really ferret out illegals using social services and denying them as well as those illegal children using our school system for free. Basically just enforce our existing laws which seems to be a novel concept with the libs.
captkirk
AG
No Spin Ag said:

It will not be 100% effective. HTH
"In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children...You do know that legislation around this EXACT issue was presented in the last legislative session." - ArcticPenguin
captkirk
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

"In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children...You do know that legislation around this EXACT issue was presented in the last legislative session." - ArcticPenguin
Maroon Dawn
AG
If the wall didn't work liberals wouldn't care and wouldn't be trying to convince us not to build one

Simple as that
thirdcoast
If the problem is really Visa overstays and not illegal crossings, why are elaborate tunnels built?
captkirk
AG
thirdcoast said:

If the problem is really Visa overstays and not illegal crossings, why are elaborate tunnels built?

Right. Nobody comes across the border, they just really, really like tunneling and spelunking in Mexico
BQ_90
AG
ABCDE said:

Although I'm in favor for the wall I would like to see them focus on removing the motivation for coming over illegally. I would like to see a strong, everlasting and dedicated effort to seek, capture and deport illegals. If they are always looking over their shoulder and in fear of being deported and losing possessions they have accumulated while here illegally would be a deterrent I would think. Also really ferret out illegals using social services and denying them as well as those illegal children using our school system for free. Basically just enforce our existing laws which seems to be a novel concept with the libs.
But you well know that liberal judges do their best to block the laws on the books.

The fix is to address it at all levels from the wall, to visa violators, to employers who hire illegals.

But you then can't have local, state, other govt entities actively working to block the law either.
Page 1 of 3

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.