Mt. Holyoke (women's college) instructs profs not to call students Women

2,361 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Agnzona
Prognightmare
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10660
Quote:

Mount Holyoke College, an all-women's school, is asking professors to avoid calling students "women" or otherwise referring to "the two genders."

The Supporting Trans and Non-Binary Students guide was created by officials at the college, which touts its legacy as an all-women's college, in an effort to promote a "gender neutral" classroom environment.

"When discussing the student body, say 'Mount Holyoke students' rather than 'Mount Holyoke women,'" it instructs professors. "Avoid making statements like 'We're all women here...', or referring to '...the two genders...'"

The guide claims that "many students spend the first day of class braced against various types of disrespect," such as "professors who mispronounce their names, call them by the wrong name entirely, misgender them, and so on."

To avoid accidentally insulting students, the guide instructs faculty members to avoid calling names from attendance rosters and instead invite students to introduce themselves during class.

Establishing "mutual trust" is crucial for professors to accomplish as soon as possible, preferably during the first day of class, the guide explains, stating that "students who are worried about not being treated with respect can't concentrate on what we're [professors] saying."
Quote:

The college also released a companion guide on "Intersectionality in the Classroom," which encourages professors to take an "intersectional approach" in the classroom by "becoming aware of the multiple forms of oppression and privilege each individual faces and how they interact with one another."

For example, "two transgender students from different class or racial backgrounds are going to have different perspectives and life experiences, even though they have one identity in common."

Another new guide put out by the Massachusetts college on "Inclusive Teaching" warns professors that their classrooms "are never neutral spaces and are marked by the same inequalities, exclusion, and power struggles that exist elsewhere in the world."

"The point is not to claim a privileged space for the classroom that is somehow exempt from those dynamics, but to work to eliminate them where we can, confront them honestly when we cannot, and find ways to listen and include all our students in equitable, just ways," it concludes.
Make sure you identify all forms of oppression and privilege so an all inclusive safe-space is created.

Quote:

All three guides were created by the Mount Holyoke College Teaching and Learning Initiative, which strives to serve as a resource for professors to become better teachers.

Campus Reform reached out to the school for comment, but did not receive a response in time for publication.
The daily dose of BSC liberalism needs to be displayed and ridiculed everyday. Only when people will feel so much embarrassment that this nonsense can be destroyed.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I just... don't get it. How do people not understand this is total garbage?
Madman
AG
Non denominational un gendered pronouncement of my presence to my co beings.
"The plans for rent subsidies reflect a tendency among the crowded field of Democratic candidates to behave as if the election were an auction in which the highest bidder will claim the nomination." The New York Times Editorial Board
APHIS AG
Well, I guess "women" have finally found lala land.
FbgTxAg
AG
Wait - It's against policy to call a woman a woman at an all-women's school?

Wait - there are "trans" people at an all-women's school?

Someone is gonna have to explain to me what the actual fvuk an all-women's school is. I'll hang up and listen.
Eliminatus
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Indoctrination. Both overt and subtle over a period of years.

Serious answer too. It really is as simple as that. I know indoctrination is a charged word with heavy connotations but it is what it is.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Ketchup is a vegetable
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Because for some reason, grown-ass adults are afraid of complaining, wimpy children.
Ketchup is a vegetable
AgInTheColony
AG
So I'm assuming if it's now a 'gender neutral' school that men can attend?
UTExan
AgInTheColony said:

And how does on gain entry if you will pardon the mixed metaphor.
“... the reason life works at all is that not everyone in your tribe is nuts on the same day.
Anne Lamott
Ag87H2O
AG
I've seen some crazy, nonsensical stuff on this board, but this one takes the cake. How do these leftist even come up with this garbage? They must sit in a room and try to out virtue signal each other to the point of absolute lunacy. But hey, these "students" will graduate with their liberal arts degrees and feel good about themselves. Until they try to find a job in the real world. Then they're in for a rude awakening.
Ag87H2O
ttu_85
AgInTheColony said:

Why would you want too. I am sure the "talent" levels have to be horrendous.
deddog
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Academia ...there's no real work here. Clearly.
That's why they have time for this bull crap.
aggiejayrod
AG
UTExan said:

AgInTheColony said:

And how does on gain entry if you will pardon the mixed metaphor.

Intercourse
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

The guide claims that "many students spend the first day of class braced against various types of disrespect," such as "professors who mispronounce their names, call them by the wrong name entirely, misgender them, and so on."

To avoid accidentally insulting students, the guide instructs faculty members to avoid calling names from attendance rosters and instead invite students to introduce themselves during class.
Hmmm... How about these professors establish the proper professor-student relationship by telling the students to STFU, read the syllabus, get something to take notes with, and try to keep up?

Seriously, who is teaching who in these liberal ****holes anyways?
"Survey results depend on who you ask, who answers and how the questions are worded. In any case, science is not a democracy." - Nir Shaviv, chairman of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem physics department
Body By Fisher

Quote:

"many students spend the first day of class braced against various types of disrespect,"
So they're coming in with bad attitudes of spoiled children and the administration wants to make sure they don't learn to grow up. Good plan.
AGinHI
AG
Quote:

many students spend the first day of class BRACED against various types of disrespect," such as....

Wait

Wait for it

Wait for it

Quote:

professors who mispronounce their names, call them by the wrong name entirely

Edit: dammit Chili- ima leave mine up anyway
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.

-The Great Texags Fiasco of 2019
Oyster DuPree
AG
I don't see anything about calling them trick-ass hoes
Body By Fisher
That's perfect.
Muy
AG
I hate the R word but liberals in this country have gone full R.
AgInTheColony
AG
ttu_85 said:

AgInTheColony said:

Why would you want too. I am sure the "talent" levels have to be horrendous.

To make them go through all the legal trouble and machinations necessary to admit you. Then decide you would rather go somewhere else.
ClassOf17
I don't see the problem here.

I bet 99% of all women there don't even look like women.
Goose61
AG
Yet another institute of higher learning where the Tard Bus has left the garage.
The Fife
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Hmmm... How about these professors establish the proper professor-student relationship by telling the students to STFU, read the syllabus, get something to take notes with, and try to keep up?

Seriously, who is teaching who in these liberal ****holes anyways?
The first day of each semester must have been all kinds of terrible for the Indian students I went to grad school with (probably 2/3 of the department). You'd have Dr Peters who was from Arkansas calling names from A&M's roster sheet which was capped at something like 31 characters between 1st and last name, and between his pronunciation and the part where he isn't even saying their entire name to begin with he'd end up doing a show of hands to see who wasn't been called and it would be about half the class. He'd just give up and tell everyone who didn't hear their name to come down and make a mark on the roster so he could tell wasn't there.
jblaschke
AG
Quote:

Non-Binary Students
Every day, I'm reminded that I'm old.
jblaschke
AG
Well, Blaschke has never, EVER been mispronounced.
Captain Pablo
AG
Liberals on this board pissing and moaning the other day about getting mistreated by staff when they post

Yet they never show up on threads like these to, you know, post

Shocking
93MarineHorn

Quote:

Oh please!! These fragile women would crawl up in a ball on the floor if some professor said "You there, young human, please introduce yourself to all the strangers sitting around you."

I mean that's like way worse than a micro-aggression, or whatever the f/ck these pu$$ies are calling normal interaction that might make you the slightest bit uncomfortable.
Tom Hagen
AG
Nothing new. Mt. Holyoke women have been uptight PC leftists for years.

dmart90
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

"many students spend the first day of class braced against various types of disrespect,"
So they're coming in with bad attitudes of spoiled children and the administration wants to make sure they don't learn to grow up. Good plan.
People have been mispronouncing my last name my entire life. Never once have I felt disrespected. What the actual f/ck.
Gig 'em!
Madman
AG
dmart90 said:

ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

People have been mispronouncing my last name my entire life. Never once have I felt disrespected. What the actual f/ck.
"The plans for rent subsidies reflect a tendency among the crowded field of Democratic candidates to behave as if the election were an auction in which the highest bidder will claim the nomination." The New York Times Editorial Board
Agnzona
Come on some liberal defend this? Artic Penguin? Anybody?
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.