MetLife to issue diversity ultimatum to law firms

Pinche Abogado
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Quote:

Frustrated by the lack of diversity in the legal profession, MetLife's General Counsel Ricardo Anzaldua is planning to use his $100 million annual legal budget to nudge law firms in the right direction.

On April 20, Anzaldua will host lawyers from all over including up to 75 outside law firms at MetLife's Midtown Manhattan headquarters for a summit where he plans to deliver an ultimatum: create a formal plan to retain and promote your diverse talent by next year, or don't plan to work with MetLife much longer.

Thoughts?

https://bol.bna.com/deadline-for-diversity-issued-by-top-metlife-lawyer/
powerbelly51
L
AG

Quote:

Thoughts?
This is nothing new. It is dumb, but not new.

I would rather have the best attorneys working for me no matter their race or gender.
Champ Bailey
L
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Thoughts?

Based on your username, you are in luck.
Pinche Abogado
L
AG
I'm a mid-thirties, white male.
ABATTBQ11
L
AG
Let's see what stockholders think
The_Wolf
A
Promote the best. Period. Affirmative action is total BS.
MemphisAg1
L
AG
I despise social engineering and virtue signaling.

Looks like I'll now go out of my way to avoid MetLife.
powerbelly51
L
AG
The_Wolf said:

Promote the best. Period. Affirmative action is total BS.
The worst part is that Affirmative action causes great minority/women to be viewed as diversity hires/promotions only.
twk
L
AG
So, the big firm, file-churning, lawyers they send out to the hinterlands will be more likely to be female and have different skin pigmentation? Great. I'm sure that will be a positive for them and the folks that deal with them.
Thriller
H
AG
Quote:

Thoughts?

Should say retain and promote the brightest legal minds available, regardless of protected status. If that means you are 80% white, black, brown, male, female, gay, straight, MetLife shouldn't care If MetLife cares about the diversity of their representation over the quality of their representation, their GC should be fired.
powerbelly51
L
AG
Thriller said:

Quote:

Thoughts?

Should say retain and promote the brightest legal minds available, regardless of protected status. If that means you are 80% white, black, brown, male, female, gay, straight, MetLife shouldn't care If MetLife cares about the diversity of their representation over the quality of their representation, their GC should be fired.
e=mc2
L
AG
Someone better let Snoopy's ass know the boss don't like white.

93MarineHorn
H
Quote:

Thoughts?
Ricardo Anzaldua is a racist pos.
jjeffers1
L
AG
Personally, I think the World would be a much better place without the vast majority of attorneys of any color.
DryFly
L
Nothing more than showing yet again, Liberals are nothing more than fascists and bullies.
The Fife
L
Pinche Abogado said:

I'm a mid-thirties, white male.

Are you from SA or south TX, because if so hermano, you're honorary brown.
CJS4715
L
AG
Our nation has turned into a parody on correctness.
Tom Hagen
L
AG
Big insurance protected by Big Government. In a free market economy, this wouldn't occur.
MaroonOut05
L
AG
This crap always backfires. At a prior firm, we had a docket of cases that a client insisted only a female work on. Well, whichever female associate inherited that docket got pigeonholed to it, didn't advance, and eventually left.
Maroon Dawn
L
AG
The New Racism:

Don't hire straight white men

(And Libs wonder why alt-right is growing in popularity)

ChiliBeans
H
Imagine how many affirmative action hires and promotions it took for him to get to this point where he finally has some authority to throw around and teach the white man a lesson.
SeattleAgJr
L
Maroon Dawn said:

The New Racism:

Don't hire straight white men

(And Libs wonder why alt-right is growing in popularity)

simple. every white male pick a "race" to identify with.

unless they are DNA testing they cannot challenge you on this.
hodgesco
H
AG
Just another reason for good lawyers to not partake in insurance defense work. Screw them.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
L
AG
Can you imagine the scenario

Some IRS law firm is looking at applications. They find the best app and go to the hr folks. "He's a great candidate, aced every test given to him, and will save our clients a quarter of their income and wealth based on his knowledge to exploit the tax code. And he is only demanding a modest salary based on his skill set."

HR says "why haven't we hired him"

"Well this applicant isn't white"

A buiness only cares about the color green.
Saltwater Assassin
L
AG
Forcing someone else to hire based on anything other than skill level is easy, it isn't your money you're playing with.

Do it when YOU are the one hiring and stroking the checks and then I might take you seriously.

Fishin Texas Aggie 05
L
AG
Maybe sapper can tell me where I'm wrong but I thought that hiring based on skin color was racist
blindey
L
AG
So white men are going to be squeezed out of the defense side of a relatively low margin practice?

What happens if all of these white men - who have experience and ability - switch to the plaintiff side and start clobbering the new cast of diversity hires left and right? Are we going to see MetLife crying poverty when we start to see policy limits getting busted left and right?
ChiliBeans
H
Good questions, blindly.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Membership Benefits >