Has anybody noticed the wikipedia article on "deadbeat parent"?

Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadbeat_parent
quote:
Deadbeat parent is a racialized pejorative term referring mainly to African-American parents of either gender who evades court ordered child support obligations.
The Debt
Is that like the most confusing holiday in Harlem joke?
EMY92
AG
I guess I'm post-racial, I never thought of the term used pejoratively against black people.

Just against people who don't support their children.

Maybe Wendy Davis is a dead beat parent?
eric76
AG
I fixed it, but the way Wikipedia works, some twerp is sure to revert the changes back to reflect their personal view on it.
Iosh
AG
So edit it out. The reference is weak, it's a single grad student making an assertion about the last forty years of media. WP:RSOPINION
The Debt
I was under the impression that a deadbeat dad is one who is avoiding legal financial obligations of fatherhood.

The most obvious case is broken marriages and father's not paying. Does the hookup culture result in legal obligations?
commando2004
AG
Someone did edit out "racialized" earlier this evening.
Ellis Wyatt
I was thinking Barack Obama Sr is a prime example of a deadbeat parent. I don't think of deadbeat parenthood being a black thing, though.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Does the hookup culture result in legal obligations?

Not sure if serious. Bottom line--you play, you pay if a baby results.
The Debt
hawg: if a girl is sleeping around with a different guy every week...how can you claim the guy that got one past the goalie is legal responsible? How would they know which male is responsible?

The daytime talk shows can only expose 200 per week so only 10,000 baby-daddy can be identified annually.
aggiehawg
AG
Paternity tests are very common and quick. Unless the baby daddy is a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am and gets the hell out of Dodge after every encounter.
EMY92
AG
Paternity tests are less than $200.

I believe that if you're unmarried and seeking support from someone, a paternity test will be performed. I don't know if the state picks up the tab, don't have much experience in this area.
The Debt
quote:
Paternity tests are less than $200
They cant afford that! They cant even afford a $10 ID card! WTF is wrong with you?!
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.