Pew: San Antonio is the Most Economically Segregated Ciudad en US

TxTarpon
How long do you want to ignore this user?

quote:
Rising income inequality "has led to a shrinkage in the share of neighborhoods across the United States that are predominantly middle class or mixed income," wrote Paul Taylor and Richard Fry, the report's authors.

The share of neighborhoods that are middle class fell to 76 percent in 2010 from 85 percent in 1980.

Among the 30 biggest metropolitan areas, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas show the greatest segregation of neighborhoods by income, the report said.

The least segregation was seen in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Portland, Ore., and Orlando, Fla.

Most of the metropolitan areas showing the greatest increase in segregation have seen significant population growth as people moved in.

For example, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are among the fastest-growing U.S. cities, with growth partly fueled by low-wage immigrants moving in along with better-paid high-skill workers and well-off retirees.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48446184/ns/business/t/study-us-cities-increasingly-segregated-income/

I am not understanding why this is a big deal?
Sure the West and South side look different than the North side.
But on the South and West side lower income familias can actually afford to buy a home. Unlike some cities with astronomical real estate prices and rents, in the 210 you can work with your hands and own your own casa.
BigRobSA
Not to mention that it's not even a racial thing as any mexican/black with an ounce of sense would move to Stone Oak/N. Side 'burbs when they could afford to.
Original Toad Boy
and yet their Mayor is a raising star in the dem paty cause he is Mexican.
Deats
AG
not subtle shot at Texas...
Buck Turgidson
They mention Houston as a highly economically segregated city. Not sure where they get that. The problem with Houston is that theres a pocket of ghetto within 15-20 minutes of you, no matter where you are.

That's true even in Memorial, The Woodlands, Kingwood, etc.
OldArmy71
AG
What is that large red block in the NW straddling 1604?
Buck Turgidson
Tarpon - where'd you get the map? I didn't see it when I opened your link. I'd like to see similar maps for Houston & DFW.
WBBQ74
AG
UTSA and a bunch of student apartment complexes.....

CanyonAg77
AG
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/income-segregation/houston/

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/income-segregation/dallas/
MouthBQ98
AG
People tend to associate with people of relatively similar INCOMES. They can afford to do the same things, shop at the same places, and have similar tolerances for crime and quality of schools. Local businesses cater to those clientelle, and adopt price structures that are friendly to that localized income range.

It is just common sense.

The disparity simply enhances this economic self-segretation by extending the range of incomes.

In the past, when everyone was relatively poorer than they are today, on average, the poor and lower middle class had more in common economically. Now they don't, because the lower middle class can afford to escape from living with the poors, and the tax burden and social problems that brings.
Jaxson11
AG
quote:

The mayor of San Antonio is not Mexican. He was born in San Antonio and is a smart dude.
policywonk98
AG
What's everyone complaining about? Look like poor people have beach front property in the Houston area.
dromo07
AG
Im going to be living with the poors?
BigRobSA
quote:

Looks like UTSA and its surrounding area. Which would be accurate, except for Six Flags and La Cantera being there, as well.
texaggie2009
I have always found it fascinating how low income pockets manage to sit on some of the most valuable real estate in major cities. I guess the incentive just isn't there for developers to try to rehab neighborhoods when they can convince people to live an hour from work in a suburb.
policywonk98
AG
quote:
quote:

The mayor of San Antonio is not Mexican. He was born in San Antonio and is a smart dude.

Does someone really have to hyphanate everything? Surely you know that he meant Mexican-American. And he is very smart. I'm not sure anyone attacked his intelligence. As we have evidence both in politics and elsewhere. Intelligence makes little difference if you politics are bad. And Castro's are bad.

the future of Texas politics is interesting. Two Ivy League Educated Latinos on the rise that exist on the opposite side of the political spectrum. Should be fun.
texaggie2009
quote:
They mention Houston as a highly economically segregated city. Not sure where they get that. The problem with Houston is that theres a pocket of ghetto within 15-20 minutes of you, no matter where you are.

They are doing it by census tracks. In a major city, there are probably at least 10 census tracks in any 15-20 minute radius.
Jaxson11
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Does someone really have to hyphanate everything? Surely you know that he meant Mexican-American. And he is very smart. I'm not sure anyone attacked his intelligence. As we have evidence both in politics and elsewhere. Intelligence makes little difference if you politics are bad. And Castro's are bad.

the future of Texas politics is interesting. Two Ivy League Educated Latinos on the rise that exist on the opposite side of the political spectrum. Should be fun.

my point is castro and cruz are not rising stars because they are hispanic.
Buck Turgidson
quote:
They are doing it by census tracks. In a major city, there are probably at least 10 census tracks in any 15-20 minute radius.

Makes sense.

You'd expect an area as small as a census tract to be pretty heavily weighted toward one income group or another.
Buck Turgidson
Thanks for the links, Canyon.

In DFW it sure looks like NE Tarrant County is the place to be.
The Fife
quote:
Not to mention that it's not even a racial thing as any mexican/black with an ounce of sense would move to Stone Oak/N. Side 'burbs when they could afford to.

LOTS of MNs have been moving to the northside too. When I lived there I'd see lots of high end Mercedes and a few Ferraris with Mexico DF and Nuevo Leon plates at HEB.
texaggie2009
quote:
Makes sense.

You'd expect an area as small as a census tract to be pretty heavily weighted toward one income group or another.

Completely agree. Pretty meaningless study.
JeffHamilton82
How are all those poor people affording all the high priced property in central SA? Here in Austin, the poor can barely afford the East of 35 property. The OP's map shows the poor covering almost all of central SA.
policywonk98
AG
quote:
How are all those poor people affording all the high priced property in central SA? Here in Austin, the poor can barely afford the East of 35 property. The OP's map shows the poor covering almost all of central SA.

I'm gonna get in trouble for this. But don't you know there are two prices for everything. The price for gringos and the price for everyone else.
WBBQ74
AG
Julian Castro (SA Mayor) is your typical Liberal Democrat 'rising star' type. Never had a real job in his young life. Glad he is doing the keynote speech at the Democratic Obamathon in NC. Give more folks a chance to see what an empty guyabara shirt he truly is.

But then, he didn't make that speech. Someone else did it for him.

Original Toad Boy
He is not smart he is democrat..just another elitist who went to Harvard and Standford...

Yes I meant heritage this is the only reason they re touting him as the next obama.
TxTarpon
quote:
The problem with Houston is that theres a pocket of ghetto within 15-20 minutes of you, no matter where you are.

OMG that is funny!!
quote:

Multiple neighborhoods with $85k-150k homes.
quote:
Tarpon - where'd you get the map?

It is at the bottom right of the map.
Or click on it and check out properties.
quote:
How are all those poor people affording all the high priced property in central SA?

They live in the "shacks?"

[This message has been edited by TxTarpon (edited 8/2/2012 3:34p).]
APHIS AG
quote:

And what has he done for SA as Mayor?
bam02
AG
Sorry to continue the derailment, but seriously, do you not see that Castro is just an an politically opportunistic Latino pawn for Obama right now. Castro will ultimately benefit, too, as it has been obvious since he was elected that mayor of SA was a stepping stone for him. he has done nothing leadership or policy-wise to deserve any kind of spotlight.
WBBQ74
AG
Since San Antonio morphed the City Manager - City Council original early '50s concept of Mayor/Council being a part time 'Board of Directors' voluntary time position into a full time 'ward healer' on $20 a week deal in 1977, we have gotten 'preeners' like Julian Castro as Mayor. Changing the city charter to go to single member districts sounded 'fair' at the time - no more 'Good Government League' guys from Alamo Heights elected as a slate. No more mature and business experience seasoned professionals who actually had executive/financial acumen and the willingness to do what was needed AND right. By not turning the job into a full time paid position you wound up getting folks who got paid by someone else for a few decades. After the police contract scandal in the late '80s the push came for term limits. Now you get either folks too old or folks too young to sit down there for 4 years (2 terms). No one with a real job (Real relatively recent life experience) can adequately do the job now. You get rainbow chasing geezers like Patti Radle, venal race baiters like Bernardo Eureste, politically tone deaf dolts like Helen Dutmer, or a constant stream of 'staffers' like Castro. Either way you get a lack of real world competence, only glitz or empathy. Typical Democrats, not substance only 'feelings'. Castro is only the current version, there have been others and there will be future ones until this BS is reformed.

Bexar County Commissioners, of which there are 5 - 4 Precincts and a County Judge, get paid full time money (~$90K) to run a budget of about $800M or something in that range. SA Mayor/Council critters get $20/week to run a budget of about $1.6B or something in that range. The City political system is currently set up to be run by novice buffoons. And that is what we get. Julian Castro and his witty smile and glib comments are a perfect fit for the Obama world. All sombrero and no vacas. Puro San Antonio.

[This message has been edited by WBBQ74 (edited 8/3/2012 7:25a).]
wxguy95
AG
All this map t!ells you is people live in a house their income can afford. Is it really shocking that the rich live in neighborhoods with expensive homes and vice versa?

Also, concerning Cruz being Latino...isn't he actually Canadian? Someone posted that last week but I never bothered to look it up.

[This message has been edited by wxguy95 (edited 8/3/2012 8:01a).]
TxTarpon
WBBQ74 Great stuff!!

Ted Cruz was born in Calgary since his parents were in the (GASP-NO!) EVIL oil bidness.

But since both parents were 'merican so is he.

Perhaps that means I can send a Tim Horton's snack pack with a lobbiest to visit him with a "Repeal Obongocare" message.
Jaxson11
AG
quote:
Sorry to continue the derailment, but seriously, do you not see that Castro is just an an politically opportunistic Latino pawn for Obama right now. Castro will ultimately benefit, too, as it has been obvious since he was elected that mayor of SA was a stepping stone for him. he has done nothing leadership or policy-wise to deserve any kind of spotlight.

In politics right now, it seems easier to run without a record on either side. It worked for Ted Cruz. New faces are popular.
UMichAg
AG
So, how exactly has Castro been bad for SA?
BigRobSA
I remember when my aunt, a D-lever pulling Mexican who couldn't spell "Republican" and worked directly with Castro in the Bexar County government offices, went on a tirade about how worthless and idiotic BOTH Castros were. "He's never had a real job!" was one of the first things she said.

I was aghast...and proud....when I heard that. Only took 50-something yrs for her to finally see the light.
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.