Religion & Politics in Georgia

3,723 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Thaddeus73
Jabin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ramblin_ag02 said:

I think that's true to an extent. It's hard to blame political machines when the people vote split ballot. The governors in Pennsylvania and Georgia both beat their same party Senate candidates by hundreds of thousands of votes
Pennsylvania does not support your case. The fact that Fetterman won at all in PA, despite the fact that he was obviously a horrible candidate, speaks volumes to the power of the political machine in PA, especially Philly. Fetterman is proof that the Dems could get a cabbage elected in Philly.
Aggrad08
AG
I'm sure his opponent being Oz had nothing to do with it…

The tunnel vision on some of this cracks me up.
Jabin
Aggrad08 said:

Sigh, of course it had something to do with it. I was just responding to the Dr.'s point about split-ticket voting.

The tribalism and knee jerk responses on some of this cracks me up. I say something negative about a D candidate, so the lib supporters have to say something negative about the R candidate. It's just like F16 but in reverse.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I had it backwards. Fettermen had 300K less votes than Shapiro despite them both being democrats. So clearly candidate quality matters. Fetterman was 10% worse than Shapiro. Still doesn't beat the dead guy that won reelection to the Penn state legislature.

BTW, I'm not team Red or Blue. Both make points I like, and both regulary irritate me to no end. It's equal parts entertaining and appalling to watch either side as a relatively neutral observer
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jabin
ramblin_ag02 said:

I had it backwards. Fettermen had 300K less votes than Shapiro despite them both being democrats. So clearly candidate quality matters. Fetterman was 10% worse than Shapiro. Still doesn't beat the dead guy that won reelection to the Penn state legislature.

BTW, I'm not team Red or Blue. Both make points I like, and both regulary irritate me to no end. It's equal parts entertaining and appalling to watch either side as a relatively neutral observer
Absolutely agree. Both sides claim to be for various noble ideals, but when one looks behind the curtain it seems that the only priorities of each are power and money.
schmendeler
AG
Golly, storming the capitol. Calling for the suspension of the constitution. So irritating. Both sides need to calm down.
FIDO95
AG
schmendeler said:

Golly, storming the capitol. Calling for the suspension of the constitution. Attacking federal buildings in multiple cities over multiple months, calling for dissolving the filibuster, demanding packing the court, harassing politicians in restaurants, shooting politicians at a baseball practice, bypassing congressional authority via executive order. So irritating. Both sides need to calm down.
FIFY
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
FIDO95 said:

schmendeler said:

Golly, storming the capitol. Calling for the suspension of the constitution. Attacking federal buildings in multiple cities over multiple months, calling for dissolving the filibuster, demanding packing the court, harassing politicians in restaurants, shooting politicians at a baseball practice, bypassing congressional authority via executive order. So irritating. Both sides need to calm down.
FIFY

Hello false equivalencies!
Zobel
AG
Why is that a false equivalence?
FIDO95
AG
Zobel said:

Why is that a false equivalence?
It's a big word used to masks one's cognitive dissonance.
barbacoa taco
AG
I mean I think it's agreeable that the people who stormed the capitol and rioted in 2020 are the extremes of their respective sides. But lumping court-packing and abolishing the filibuster into being a rioter is a sweeping generalization. The idiots who rioted probably dont even know what the filibuster is. Lumping in shooting politicians at a baseball practice is even more ridiculous considering it was one lunatic who did that and it was universally condemned by the left. Like, come on man.

the issue with suspension of the constitution is Trump directly called for that because he wants to be installed as president. and the right largely either defends or downplays the J6 attacks, with some exceptions. Trump defends it straight up and if he's ever elected again (God forbid) he'll pardon all of them. It's relevant to this thread because Herschel does everything Trump tells him to do and wholeheartedly embraced Trumpism on the campaign trail.
FIDO95
AG
Seems like we agree on the "equivalency" of riots at federal buildings and storming the capitol. Both are wrong.

The "equivalency" of court packing/filibuster is not to rioters but it is towards Trumps statement on suspending the constitution. It is all wrong. This country functions best when both sides are forced together. What we are seeing now is both sides using political maneuvering to get their way and silence the opposition. I think we are seeing this partly because the primary system favors polarizing political figures over moderate ones.

It has lead us to become more tribal and as such more hostile towards each other. "A house divided can not stand" and we are inching towards the precipice of learning that bloody lesson again.

The only way to reverse course, IMO, is to make an attempt to understand those that aren't like you as opposed to just simply dismissing or dehumanizing them.
Sapper Redux
Honestly, we need to either eliminate closed primaries and/or gerrymandering. One results in the most active extremists of political parties (which are nowhere found in the Constitution) to cherry-pick extreme candidates that likely don't represent the actual concerns of the population they represent. The second results in politicians selecting their voters rather than the other way around. If you genuinely want a government that represents the people, then we need to eliminate the obstacles that make it easy for extremists in any party to hijack the electoral process.
Aggrad08
AG
Jabin said:

Aggrad08 said:

Sigh, of course it had something to do with it. I was just responding to the Dr.'s point about split-ticket voting.

The tribalism and knee jerk responses on some of this cracks me up. I say something negative about a D candidate, so the lib supporters have to say something negative about the R candidate. It's just like F16 but in reverse.

I actually wasn't responding to your argument attacking the candidate but that your overall analysis seems flawed or poorly considered when we do see that the candidate quality mattered it's just you were not weighing the opposition quality nor trumps effect. So your claims of tribalism are as is often the case, ironic.

This was not a defense of dems or an attack on republicans, it was rebuke of your assertion.
Jabin
Aggrad08 said:

Jabin said:

Aggrad08 said:

I actually wasn't responding to your argument attacking the candidate but that your overall analysis seems flawed or poorly considered when we do see that the candidate quality mattered it's just you were not weighing the opposition quality nor trumps effect. So your claims of tribalism are as is often the case, ironic.

This was not a defense of dems or an attack on republicans, it was rebuke of your assertion.
Good grief, you're still missing the point and are putting words in my mouth and/or ascribing arguments to me that I did not make. You're seeing ghosts behind every tree.
Thaddeus73
AG
Georgia is more like New York than it is the Deep South...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.