Religion & Politics in Georgia

3,743 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Thaddeus73
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm having trouble reconciling what is happening in Georgia. This hasn't been reconciled on the politics board, so I thought I'd come here for a fresh take.

On one hand, we have a former athlete who may have done some questionable things 30 years ago. He may have assisted someone getting an abortion, but his views have changed as he matured both physically and spiritually.

On the other hand, we have a Christian preacher who opens supports abortion rights.

Why is it that the first man is defiled for his past actions, while the other "man of the cloth" gets a complete pass on his views and actions?
BluHorseShu
AG
zephyr88 said:

I'm having trouble reconciling what is happening in Georgia. This hasn't been reconciled on the politics board, so I thought I'd come here for a fresh take.

On one hand, we have a former athlete who may have done some questionable things 30 years ago. He may have assisted someone getting an abortion, but his views have changed as he matured both physically and spiritually.

On the other hand, we have a Christian preacher who opens supports abortion rights.

Why is it that the first man is defiled for his past actions, while the other "man of the cloth" gets a complete pass on his views and actions?
Part of it is that some believe Hershel continues to lie about it instead of just owning it. Integrity is important, no matter what F16 says. Would Walker be the better choice for moving prolife policies forward…He certainly should. And hopefully there aren't any other skeletons in his closet. The old adage says the only thing that can ruin a politicians career is being caught with a dead girl or live boy…
Rocag
AG
Most people view the abortion topic with a bit more nuance than you seem to. Per Gallup, only about 13% of people believe abortion should be illegal under all circumstances. So for a lot of people it isn't that they're giving him a pass on a view they disagree with but that they don't disagree with his stance to begin with. I don't think Texags as a whole or F16 in particular are in any way representative of the political views of the average person.

On the other hand, I don't think you'll find a lot of people who think it's morally OK to coerce someone into getting an abortion while telling the public how pro-life you are and lying about it the whole time. Or abandoning the kids you do have. All of which Walker's own children have accused him of.

Edit: Also, +1 for the records on political threads in the Religion board started by conservatives.
Serotonin
AG
I think very few people are voting for the person, just Team Red or Team Blue.

Which isn't crazy if you are ideologically aligned with one team or the other.

So ridiculing someone for voting for Walker (or Fetterman, or...) misses the point. It's not about the person, it's about the extra red or blue vote.
craigernaught
AG
Religious people, like all other people, have different views on abortion.

But religious people, pretty much just like all other people, have a negative view of lying, hypocritical, idiots.

Republicans could have run pretty much any standard, non-idiot Republican and they would have won. Instead, they ran Herschel Walker.
zephyr88
AG
My question was truly meant to be more about Rev. Warnock's pro-abortion stance.

I would've expected a pastor to run silent on abortion, but this man seems to proudly wave the flag.

Yes, I'm a conservative and I don't think Walker is a very good candidate and I agree that he's probably not be truthful about his past. But on the other side... an abortion loving preacher??? We live in odd times.
zephyr88
AG
craigernaught said:

But religious people, pretty much just like all other people, have a negative view of lying, hypocritical, idiots.

Republicans could have run pretty much any standard, non-idiot Republican and they would have won. Instead, they ran Herschel Walker.
IMO, there's a difference in "religious people" and a preacher.

I have no idea what a pro-choice preacher believes in. I find this more negative.

He's not defending abortion due incest or rape, he's pro-choice regardless.

Serotonin
AG
zephyr88 said:

My question was truly meant to be more about Rev. Warnock's pro-abortion stance.

I would've expected a pastor to run silent on abortion, but this man seems to proudly wave the flag.

Yes, I'm a conservative and I don't think Walker is a very good candidate and I agree that he's probably not be truthful about his past. But on the other side... an abortion loving preacher??? We live in odd times.
There are many Protestant denominations and clergy that have been proudly pro-choice for decades.
barbacoa taco
AG
zephyr88 said:

His views haven't changed "because he's matured." His views have "changed" because he got the abortions he needed already and he needs to be anti-abortion to run as a Republican. That's it.

And people criticize Herschel because they see right through his bull***** he's not "pro-life." He's paid for multiple abortions and likely coerced multiple women into getting them. He's not owning up to it and instead is lying about it. He promotes complete abortion bans with no exception even though he got abortions when he needed them in the past. It's the "f*** you, I got mine" mentality, and it's very off-putting to voters. So by the laws he supports, he would be charged as an accessory to murder. Incredibly hypocritical and wrong. If anything he should be MORE sympathetic of people who have sought abortions and said he understands what they are going through. Instead he says "f*** you, straight to prison. but not me! I'm special."

Throw in the fact that Herschel Walker has been a terrible father to his kids and the complete opposite of a family man, and you have a ton of people rolling their eyes about him being some champion of family values.

And to flip it around from the abortion stuff, nonreligious people like me do shake our heads when we see something like 80% of evangelicals picking a candidate like Herschel Walker over a literal pastor who has dedicated his life to serving God. Even if you dont like Warnock's position, he has said over and over again that the government should not get between women and their doctors when it comes to decisions like these (and he's right). He's not saying yay abortion, abortions for everyone, I know this argument probably isnt convincing to most here, but it's at least well reasoned.

I try to be reasonable and understanding of people's views, I really do. I can understand why people supported Trump, for instance. But I really can't wrap my head around what's going on in Georgia. At the end of the day I think the only reason Herschel is getting votes is because he's on team R and would have been pivotal in the GOP retaking the majority.
barbacoa taco
AG
craigernaught said:

I still cant understand why the GA GOP went with him. Even ignoring all the abortion stuff. Why in the world would you think Herschel is a good candidate? Because of the name recognition? Yay, he won the Heisman and had a successful NFL career. So therefore he should be senator?
barbacoa taco
AG
Serotonin said:

zephyr88 said:

There are many Protestant denominations and clergy that have been proudly pro-choice for decades.
This. Being a pro-choice clergyperson used to not be that unusual. Same for being religious and pro-choice. It's just become much more polarized in recent years.
dead
AG
See: Tommy Tuberville
Martin Cash
AG
zephyr88 said:

On the other hand, we have a Christian preacher who opens supports abortion rights and beats his wife.

FIFY
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
barbacoa taco
AG
Good point. Easily one of the biggest clowns in the senate, let alone all of Washington.

I used to hate the term "stick to sports" but I think it's pretty clear now that being in sports in no way qualifies one to be a politician.
Aggrad08
AG
There is also a good bit of hypocrisy on the right here. If abortion is murder then walker is a hit man.

How many would vote for an admitted murderer even if repentant? It seems we nearly all see abortion as something different than murder rhetoric be damned.

I personally think he's also just not very bright and able to sell himself on top of the sordid past. A republican wet blanket can win in Georgia.
Serotonin
AG
Aggrad08 said:

There is also a good bit of hypocrisy on the right here. If abortion is murder then walker is a hit man.

How many would vote for an admitted murderer even if repentant? It seems we nearly all see abortion as something different than murder rhetoric be damned.

I personally think he's also just not very bright and able to sell himself on top of the sordid past. A republican wet blanket can win in Georgia.
I think that's a good analogy.

But, I will say that IF you are anti-Thing<insert thing you think is horrible> and your only choice is between (a) a Party that is very Pro-Thing and (b) a guy who is totally cool with that Thing but who represents the Party that's anti-Thing, you are probably going to hold your nose and choose option b.

Does that make you hypocritical? Kind of, but what's the alternative? From your perspective you have two bad options.
zephyr88
AG
Serotonin said:

Aggrad08 said:

I think that's a good analogy.

But, I will say that IF you are anti-Thing<insert thing you think is horrible> and your only choice is between (a) a Party that is very Pro-Thing and (b) a guy who is totally cool with that Thing but who represents the Party that's anti-Thing, you are probably going to hold your nose and choose option b.

Does that make you hypocritical? Kind of, but what's the alternative? From your perspective you have two bad options.

I don't even know why we try to separate religion and politics. They clearly go hand in hand.

For example:

If Walker, the hypocritical, lying, previously abortion aiding, now pro-life sport figure was a democrat, they would defend him as having "evolving views" on an issue that happened decades ago - similar to the way they talk about the party's evolution on black rights, same-sex marriage and immigration.

If Warnock, the hypocritical abortion loving preacher was a republican... let's just say that he would be getting roasted for his views on abortion, and I'm sure we'd hear more about the skeletons that are in his closet.
Cynic
If Hershel Walker was a democrat all the criticism of him wouldn't be brought up.

That pastor gets a pass because he's Team Blue.

Both sides do it, I just notice it more when the democrats do it because they annoy me.

schmendeler
AG
Lying about living in Georgia and having your homestead in Texas is just another cherry on top.
ramblin_ag02
AG
If you're looking for any sort of reasonable consistency in politics (legal, moral, ethical, religious, financial), then you're going to be disappointed. Politics is about power, and politicians only care about power. They will do whatever it takes to get more power. The only advantage of politicians over warlords is that politicians loosely work within peaceful frameworks instead of always using outright violence. Which isn't great, but it isnt' nothing either
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NowhereMan
Atlanta is Chicago in disguise.

The Democrats have curated a voting block that is made of up of people dependent on government, educated in crappy schools so they stay dependent. The ambitious are given dope to smoke so that they kill their ambition. The rich then use these serfs to cut grass, wash dishes and live in rat infested government housing that the rich own.

They fear losing their rat pad, free money and good dope, so they re-elect their princes and princesses who don't hurt their feelings.

They leverage their moronic minds with arguments of calling people names and creating fear.

I prefer living in third world ag states to avoid the debacles like Atlanta.
NowhereMan
If you own a house and take a homestead exemption then move our of state without selling the property you should legally advise the appraisal district of the move, but it is easy to overlook. Is this worse than evicting people our of your rat infested apartments of section 8.
schmendeler
AG
Screen name checks out
Sapper Redux
TrailerTrash said:

Atlanta is Chicago in disguise.

The Democrats have curated a voting block that is made of up of people dependent on government, educated in crappy schools so they stay dependent. The ambitious are given dope to smoke so that they kill their ambition. The rich then use these serfs to cut grass, wash dishes and live in rat infested government housing that the rich own.

They fear losing their rat pad, free money and good dope, so they re-elect their princes and princesses who don't hurt their feelings.

They leverage their moronic minds with arguments of calling people names and creating fear.

I prefer living in third world ag states to avoid the debacles like Atlanta.
Man… there's a lot going on in this one post.
zephyr88
AG
You gotta be kidding me... this man is pure evil.

schmendeler
AG
zephyr88 said:

You gotta be kidding me... this man is pure evil.

Here's what he actually said:

Quote:

"If we care about life, black women are dying three to four times the rate of white women in childbirth, as a result of childbirth," he said. "And so, if you care about life, we ought to find a way and address the obvious bias in our health care system."

"It's what Jesus would do," Reid said.

"I think it's exactly what Jesus would do," Warnock agreed.
dead
AG
Oh I bet LifeNews is a good source of unbiased reporting on this subject...
Aggrad08
AG
dead said:

Oh I bet LifeNews is a good source of unbiased reporting on this subject...

Or you know… anything
Zobel
AG
Number of black births in the US per year is approximately 550,000.

Black maternal mortality rate is 55 per 100,000. So approximately 308 deaths per year. (White maternal mortality rate is around 20 for reference.) 700 mothers die in childbirth per year in the US.

Number of black abortions per year is approximately 475 per 1000 live births, so around 260,000 per year.

I'm not sure context here makes his point better. In fact I think it's nonsense either way.
Serotonin
AG
Quote:

"If we care about life, black women are dying three to four times the rate of white women in childbirth, as a result of childbirth," he said. "And so, if you care about life, we ought to find a way and address the obvious bias in our health care system."

"It's what Jesus would do," Reid said.

"I think it's exactly what Jesus would do," Warnock agreed.
Thanks for posting the actual quote. Having said that, I would have to ask him what that has to do with abortion. We should abort all black babies until those rates are equal or within X percentage? Then abortion would be illegal?

Not following the logic here.
schmendeler
AG
Well he didn't say what that website claimed he said, and that poster then regurgitated without question. So, there is that.
schmendeler
AG
Looks like Warnock wins

barbacoa taco
AG
schmendeler said:

Well he didn't say what that website claimed he said, and that poster then regurgitated without question. So, there is that.
Definitely a hail mary tweet to hopefully net Walker some more votes from uninformed voters.

Glad Warnock won. Glad Georgia rejected such a disgusting and horrible person in Walker.
FIDO95
AG
IMO, this election wasn't as much about abortion as it was about politics. As someone previously mentioned, it is Red team vs Blue team. Currently the Blue team has a much better oiled machine which has taken advantage of vote harvesting rules in the state. It matters less about what you say and stand for then the letter by your name and the network of activists and institutions that can rally for you.

Several election cycles ago, the Republicans lost every seat in a predominately Republican part of California (Orange county I believe) because the Democrats were faster at taking advantage of new ballot harvesting rules. Republicans shored up their own harvesting network and have taken back most of those seats back. Play the Game of Thrones or lose.

When you combine that with a horrible, out of state candidate (also see Pennsylvania) for the Red team, you will lose every time. The Republicans would be better off getting a principled candidate whose words are true to their creed that trying to win on name recognition alone. However, until the RNC catches up their grass roots efforts in these battleground areas, it really and sadly doesn't matter who is on the ticket.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I think that's true to an extent. It's hard to blame political machines when the people vote split ballot. The governors in Pennsylvania and Georgia both beat their same party Senate candidates by hundreds of thousands of votes
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.