Powerball tithing

3,806 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheCurl84
An L of an Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously a hypothetical here, but I always figured I'd tithe first thing if we ever hit the lottery. But with the powerball at $1.4B, the tithe on THAT would be well above the needs or wildest thoughts of our little church, so I'd want to spread it around to many churches.

Anyone ever known anyone who got to experience something like this?

Haven't posted much here, but thought this was the venue for such an unlikely discussion.

Edit: spelling
jrico2727
AG
Why not do a reverse tithe 90% Brewster Millions style. I would personally look for Crisis Pregnancy centers, and food banks, St. Jude, St. Vincent de Paul Society. There are so many that could do good with whatever they would receive.
An L of an Ag
AG
jrico2727 said:

Why not do a reverse tithe 90% Brewster Millions style. I would personally look for Crisis Pregnancy centers, and food banks, St. Jude, St. Vincent de Paul Society. There are so many that could do good with whatever they would receive.

This is a great suggestion, and exactly what I was seeking! Thank you!
dermdoc
AG
Compassion International is my favorite charity.

Really love sponsoring kids.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Win At Life
AG
I would study anyone I gave to, to confirm most of it is going to actually help people and not salaries and advertising.
Martin Cash
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Obviously a hypothetical here, but I always figured I'd tithe first thing if we ever hit the lottery. But with the powerball at $1.4B, the tithe on THAT would be well above the needs or wildest thoughts of our little church, so I'd want to spread it around to many churches.

Haven't posted much here, but thought this was the venue for such an unlikely discussion.

NO, the first $95 million should go to . . . . .

Well, you know.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
spadilly
S
I would absolutely spread it over various churches and organizations if I won.
Compassion, Tim Tebow Foundation, The Landing, Elijah Rising, etc.
The list goes on and on and I'd love to bless charities and organizations that I have seen make a huge difference with their work.
DirtDiver
Missionaries, Wycliffe Bible Translators
waco_aggie05
AG
Martin Cash said:

An L of an Ag said:

NO, the first $95 million should go to . . . . .

Well, you know.

Hookers and blow?
Catag94
AG
Win At Life said:

I would study anyone I gave to, to confirm most of it is going to actually help people and not salaries and advertising.

While I totally understand d this, I disagree with it (and mean no disrespect to you at all). It's just that I believe you should give to God …by giving to the church. You should do this out of obedience and with joy and a charitable heart and love for God. What happens with it next is not your concern, and if mishandled, I trust those responsible will one day answer to God.

His wants your faith, and devotion, not your oversight.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Catag94 said:

Win At Life said:

While I totally understand d this, I disagree with it (and mean no disrespect to you at all). It's just that I believe you should give to God …by giving to the church. You should do this out of obedience and with joy and a charitable heart and love for God. What happens with it next is not your concern, and if mishandled, I trust those responsible will one day answer to God.

His wants your faith, and devotion, not your oversight.

And televangelists around the world replied "amen"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
How much is vibranium, per ounce?
svaggie
AG
Read up on LeTournia who has a University he started in Longview Texas. Great man who gave 90% of everything he owned. Became a multi millionaire
svaggie
AG
R.G. LeTourneaue
AggieBiker
AG
First off, I am not going to judge anyone or anything that has been said but I will share some of the thoughts I have had on this subject and things discussed here.

I am not a lottery player. Only ever bought tickets twice in the history of the Lotto and none in 15+ years. My reasoning is that I have never been able to convince myself that the Lotto is how God would want me to obtain my wealth. As naive as it may sound to some, since winning the lottery would basically be a miracle I believe God would provide the winning ticket to me in just as much of a miracle way if that is his plan. Even if a weekly ticket or two would be a tiny part of my resources it doesn't matter if I can not get to a place of believing it is how God wants to bless me.

That doesn't mean I won't buy a ticket for the next billion dollar lotto but it is unlikely. Especially when I considered with the last one how suddenly having that kind of wealth would bring all kinds of problems I've never prepared for. I would doubt anyone's ability to comprehend and ready themselves and all their family and friends for that kind of life change unless they are already a billionaire.

As far as what to do about tithing with a win like that, I have thought that I would seek to bless my church first, other churches and ministries as I see there good works, some individuals including family if God directed and A&M even though it would probably be the least needy or deserving but it is a place of gratitude in my heart.

I would scrutinize the ministries I would choose for the heart and wisdom of their organization. But having worked for non-profits I would not be opposed to supporting the salaries and administration of those entities. I have been an accountant and business manager in NPOs and everyone should realize while the ministry and service should always be primary, administration and fund raising is required or ministry can't happen. I'd suggest not choosing a specific number or percent for an admin/ fund raising ceiling but rather consider whether the work is fruitful and the budget is reasonable. If you are not sure, ask for an opportunity to discuss it with leadership. If they are unwilling you have your answer.

Thiese are the ways I look at all of this.
TheCurl84
AG
There was a church of Christ in a small West Texas town that had a dozen or so members join in on some lottery tickets. They won. Don't recall the details (amount etc). I think the town was Roby or Roscoe or something like that.
waco_aggie05
AG
TheCurl84 said:

There was a church of Christ in a small West Texas town that had a dozen or so members join in on some lottery tickets. They won. Don't recall the details (amount etc). I think the town was Roby or Roscoe or something like that.
Thats an interesting case study on the post directly above yours.

Honestly curious, what happened next? If winning the lotto was truly inspired and a miracle of God, (a God thing we like to say) then that should be the beginning of the story, not the end, correct?

Whose lives were impacted for the good based on that money?
waco_aggie05
AG
Following the rabbit trail, it wasn't associated with the church, it was a pool of townspeople according to this.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/reversal-of-fortune-3/
TheCurl84
AG
waco_aggie05 said:

Following the rabbit trail, it wasn't associated with the church, it was a pool of townspeople according to this.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/reversal-of-fortune-3/

Ah interesting. It had been a while. I thought they all went to the church of Christ there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.