Ben Shapiro's Hypocrisy Was Astonishing Tonight At Rudder

8,592 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggrad08
NowhereMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shapiro criticized people who use their sexual identity to dismiss biological facts and ancient wisdom as destructive transgressives. Yet he seemed to indicate because the way he identifies in his choice of religion, he is free to avoid the historical evidence for the resurrection, he offered no explanation as to why he denied it, he did not have to because of the same logic.

He supports free speech but claimed he would fire Candace Owens if she apologized for Kanye West, despite his admission, Mr. West demonstrated manic behavior that he had seen in his own family. He recognized mental issues and crazy talk but took a harsh stand toward West and was willing to cancel jobs if someone was more compassionate.

He said it was okay to criticize Israel if you could show actual human rights abuse but if civilians die because of Israeli drone strikes, it would be anti-semitic to be critical because Israel uses high tech drones that are built to not kill civilians. In other words it is okay to kill civilians as long as you try really hard not to do so.

His worst statement of the night involved his claim that Kanye West could only be extended forgiveness if Kanye asked for it, so no offer was made by Ben. A complete contradiction to unconditional forgiveness found in his bible by the prophet Isiaah, Ezekiel and God himself in Exodus, or Corrie Ten Boon a concentration camp survivor.

If we think we can reconcile the nation without the gospel we are fooling ourselves.
I found Mr. Shapiro to be the angry right, almost as bad as the angry left.
Howdy Dammit
AG
I love Ben
Sapper Redux
Quote:

he seemed to indicate because the way he identifies in his choice of religion, he is free to avoid the historical evidence for the resurrection, he offered no explanation as to why he denied it, he did not have to because of the same logic.

Unless the talk is about the historical evidence of the resurrection, why would expect him to go into detail about his beliefs?
Rocag
AG
Yeah, there's lots of valid reasons not to like Ben Shapiro but him not explaining why he rejects the central claims of Christianity in a talk that isn't in any way about that would be pretty low on my list.
747Ag
AG
Aggrad08
AG
Only on texags is Ben Shapiro simply not far enough to the right
Dad-O-Lot
AG
TrailerTrash said:

Shapiro criticized people who use their sexual identity to dismiss biological facts and ancient wisdom as destructive transgressives. Yet he seemed to indicate because the way he identifies in his choice of religion, he is free to avoid the historical evidence for the resurrection, he offered no explanation as to why he denied it, he did not have to because of the same logic.

He supports free speech but claimed he would fire Candace Owens if she apologized for Kanye West, despite his admission, Mr. West demonstrated manic behavior that he had seen in his own family. He recognized mental issues and crazy talk but took a harsh stand toward West and was willing to cancel jobs if someone was more compassionate.

He said it was okay to criticize Israel if you could show actual human rights abuse but if civilians die because of Israeli drone strikes, it would be anti-semitic to be critical because Israel uses high tech drones that are built to not kill civilians. In other words it is okay to kill civilians as long as you try really hard not to do so.

His worst statement of the night involved his claim that Kanye West could only be extended forgiveness if Kanye asked for it, so no offer was made by Ben. A complete contradiction to unconditional forgiveness found in his bible by the prophet Isiaah, Ezekiel and God himself in Exodus, or Corrie Ten Boon a concentration camp survivor.

If we think we can reconcile the nation without the gospel we are fooling ourselves.
I found Mr. Shapiro to be the angry right, almost as bad as the angry left.

It sounds like you just have an issue with Ben being Jewish.

To compare his choice of religion and the denial of the resurrection that would seem to necessarily come from that with the dismissal of biological facts by transgressives is ridiculous.

He also did not say he would fire Candace Owens if she apologized for Kanye West; but that If he could, he would fire her (or anyone esle) if they had said the same things Kanye did.

You also completely missed his point about criticizing Israel.

You are also really expecting a lot from him if you expect him to pre-emptively offer to extend forgiveness.

It really sounds like you're just upset that he gave a political and social speech instead of Christian Religious one.
barbacoa taco
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Only on texags is Ben Shapiro simply not far enough to the right
Ben Shapiro took the covid vaccine. He might as well be AOC.
Tibbers
He not only took it. He pimped it out, for years. He denigrated those who did not take it. He went far beyond just simply taking it. He was a proponent of it. A logical man, like he, was duped to the point of doing this? And we are to listen to him about anything else?

He is influential to some. He has a voice that others listen to. He is now sorry? And was wrong? And we are to forgive him? What about those who were harmed? Has he apologized to them? Has he looked into the eyes of grieving parents and widows? No thanks.

He's a snake.

If we learn a single advertising dollar came from Pfizer, Moderna, etc, then he isn't just wrong. He's culpable. Either way, **** that guy. We all know he is very careful not to put his advertisers for fear of reprisal, but what if there is a deeper reason?
Sapper Redux
Wrong forum. Shapiro is an ass. He was right about the vaccine. Go back to f16.
craigernaught
AG
Conservatives turning into anti-vaxxer, anti-gmo hippies is the funniest thing in years.

Dangerous and stupid. But funny.
nortex97
AG
Correct. Like a lot of smart people, he got swept up in it and then used his (gifted) rhetorical skills to pressure others.
Zobel
AG
The antivax crowd has shouted down all opposition on f16 so now they need to find new outlets.

He was right about the vaccine.
Win At Life
AG
There is so much illogicalness in this thread, I don't know how to star responding.
Win At Life
AG
But I'll start with your comment about forgiveness of West:

Is it your assertion that ALL people are forgiven in scripture WITHOUT repentance?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
craigernaught said:

Conservatives turning into anti-vaxxer, anti-gmo hippies is the funniest thing in years.

They aren't "anti" anything, they just want the freedom of choice. Youre using confirmation bias to support your own incomplete opinion.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Sapper Redux
Lol. "Freedom of choice" for them and them alone no matter the consequences. Everyone else has to abide by their rules.
NowhereMan
No I am given an assessment
NowhereMan
I saying forgiveness is offered without being requested.
While we were yet sinners Christ died for us the ungodly.
Christ said forgive them they know not what they do.
Im saying Shapiro unlike Corrie Ten Boone a holocaust survivor disagrees with him . He is not impressive.
NowhereMan
Im saying his speech offered nothing but criticism.
Plenty of Jewish people have offered better offers to heal America.

He is an insulter
Sapper Redux
Why are you so obsessed with his Judaism?
craigernaught
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

craigernaught said:

They aren't "anti" anything, they just want the freedom of choice. Youre using confirmation bias to support your own incomplete opinion.

Found the hippie!
NowhereMan
I am not obsessed with his faith, Mr. Shapiro frequently referred to his religion. Why question a significant part of his talk?
Why bring up faith and morality if we cant discuss it?
I think it is helpful
Sapper Redux
You seem disturbed by his Judaism, or classify him according to it. It seems you want to compare him with other Jews but aren't clear about the standards of that comparison (although Corrie Ten Boom was not Jewish, so I'm not sure what you're going for there). Again, his faith can be important, but if the talk isn't specifically about Christian or Jewish metaphysical claims, I'm not sure what you're even arguing.
Tibbers
It seems you are the one who is focused on that as well as he then. Are you Jewish? Is he Christian?
NowhereMan
Ben Shapiro claimed Jesus was a rebel who got killed by the Roman Government.
What I find interesting is Mr. Shapiro made the claim without being able to offer historical evidence to support his claim, and when he gets called out on it, he uses his religion as an excuse. When anyone challenges it some conservatives suddenly pivot from their anti cancer culture rhetoric and begin shushing anyone who questions Shapiro.

All I am asking is be consistent.

Tibbers
I mean, I can see why is sore about it. Jews used the Romans to kill Jesus. Pontius gave them the choice. They chose death for Jesus. All because he taught something different than they commanded. Render under Caesar doesn't sound like much of a rebel against Rome. Sounds more like he upset the priest class of Judaism. Perhaps it was envy? Perhaps they thought he was a charlatan? Do we have the writings from the Jewish priest class at the time to verify why they so wanted him dead? I still have much to learn. Just a tertiary glance ar something that happened 2000+ years ago.
Rocag
AG
First step of understanding the non-Christian perspective on Jesus is to realize that there is absolutely no assumption that any of the information contained within the gospels is actually accurate. I'm pretty confident most modern Jews don't believe that the New Testament offers a reliable account of events.
Sapper Redux
TrailerTrash said:

Ben Shapiro claimed Jesus was a rebel who got killed by the Roman Government.
What I find interesting is Mr. Shapiro made the claim without being able to offer historical evidence to support his claim, and when he gets called out on it, he uses his religion as an excuse. When anyone challenges it some conservatives suddenly pivot from their anti cancer culture rhetoric and begin shushing anyone who questions Shapiro.

All I am asking is be consistent.

I mean… he was a rebel who was killed by the Roman government. Pretty sure everyone agrees on that. The difference is in how you consider the man, not the method of death. The Romans killed him. The antisemitism in the gospels notwithstanding (zero evidence at all for the Barabbas incident or any kind of tradition), what we know of the historical Pilate is that he wouldn't have blinked twice at brutally torturing and killing anyone who claimed to be a Jewish messiah.
Sapper Redux
Rocag said:

First step of understanding the non-Christian perspective on Jesus is to realize that there is absolutely no assumption that any of the information contained within the gospels is actually accurate. I'm pretty confident most modern Jews don't believe that the New Testament offers a reliable account of events.

There seems to be this belief amongst some Christians that Judaism is just angry about Jesus and Christianity without Christ rather than a separate religion with its own beliefs and traditions.
craigernaught
AG
I don't think "rebel" is the right word for us to use for Jesus, but the Romans certainly considered people like him to be seditious, a charge which was likely accurate. Jesus was openly defying the authority of Caesar. In the Roman world, that gets you dead.

In 1st century Roman Palestine, there are many such seditious religious leaders. The Gospels frame John the Baptist in a similar way.
nortex97
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Rocag said:

There seems to be this belief amongst some Christians that Judaism is just angry about Jesus and Christianity without Christ rather than a separate religion with its own beliefs and traditions.
There is a real argument imho that Christianity is so schismatic precisely because it is a descendent/schismatic division from Judaism.

Maybe, maybe not, but there are a lot of poorly read/doctrinally sound Christian's and jews alike imho so I am pretty sure that's got more to do with it. What cannot be logically argued is that Christianity did not begin/come from Judaism.
Zobel
AG
There's an implicit (and incorrect) assumption here that there was ever a monolithic Judaism to come from. Modern scholars reject that... it is more correct to speak of the Judaisms of the second temple era. Christianity is one of those Judaisms.
nortex97
AG
Yes, I agree. I don't really agree with all of the 'documentary hypothesis' really about J, P, and E sources, but I am reasonably confident it sort of 'came together' from various Semitic peoples practices and never became monolithic/unified really.

(CAUTION READERS: THIS IS A JOKE THAT FOLLOWS).

I mean, have you ever been in a room with 3 jews and they agreed about something? (Substitute baptists, calvinists, Methodists, Catholics/orthodox etc.)
Sapper Redux
There are Christianities that emerged as well. Orthodoxy in Christianity emerged later. Judaism had central tenets that were held by every major group during the second temple era. The roots of Rabbinic Judaism were already well established.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.