Trolley Problem

1,744 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
kurt vonnegut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stole this from General. . . . shout out to lethalninja.

https://neal.fun/absurd-trolley-problems/

Sapper Redux
Killed the cat. Saved my Amazon package. Killed 55.
barbacoa taco
AG
The part where you can pull the lever to sacrifice yourself to save 5 people is interesting. Logic and altruism would say you pull the lever and be a hero and save those people. But imagine you are actually in that situation looking death right in the face. Would we actually pull that lever? I think it's impossible to say for sure.
Jabin
Great point.

However, if that's the kind of person you want to be, you get there by making everyday small decisions that are consistent with that kind of sacrifice. Someone who's constantly cutting corners in real life won't have the courage to make the big, hard decision when finally confronted with it.
diehard03
Quote:

The part where you can pull the lever to sacrifice yourself to save 5 people is interesting. Logic and altruism would say you pull the lever and be a hero and save those people. But imagine you are actually in that situation looking death right in the face. Would we actually pull that lever? I think it's impossible to say for sure.

Isn't the whole point that people like to think they are follow logic and altruism, but don't actually do so in reality and that we are not so far from the greedy/selfish beings that we think we are above?
Aggrad08
AG
You kidding? This is America-I saved my Amazon package if that's wrong I don't want to be right.
Jabin
Lol. Well, there are no absolutes and Amazon packages are pretty damn important. That $2.32 item I got via 2 hr delivery meant a lot to me.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Killed the cat. Saved my Amazon package. Killed 55.

I killed 60. Does that mean you won?
Sapper Redux
It means I'm too soft.
DirtDiver
Other Trolley problems:

Save 5 criminals
Save 5 good people

God/Jesus perspective:
Save a world of sinners which requires the cross
Avoid the cross.

Root of why there's a trolley problem in the first place "human value" If humans do not have value, then there are no problems.
codker92
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Stole this from General. . . . should out to lethalninja.

Question is flawed because we have no idea who is tied farther on the track. The "one person" could be much more farther down the line.
swimmerbabe11
larry culpepper said:

honestly I think of any of the questions.. that one is the easiest for me. The only way I can imagine that being difficult is if I were in the middle of like.. torture and they are like.. we'll stop torturing you when you kill those people.

being run over by a trolley seems like a pretty fast way to die tbh.
Sapper Redux
DirtDiver said:

Other Trolley problems:

Save 5 criminals
Save 5 good people

God/Jesus perspective:
Save a world of sinners which requires the cross
Avoid the cross.

Root of why there's a trolley problem in the first place "human value" If humans do not have value, then there are no problems.

The trolley problem is an either/or problem that runs straight into our assumptions about individual worth vs utilitarianism. There is no other option. Your either/or assumption on the part of God doesn't hold up. There are multiple options. Nor is there only one definition of "value" at play in any of the decisions.
swimmerbabe11
Also, 25 is a trick question, because I am my own worst enemy.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Stole this from General. . . . shout out to lethalninja.

My kill count was 78
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
OnlyForNow
AG
swimmerbabe11
username is pretty relevant here
File5
AG
Aha! It told me I solved Philosophy! Beat that!!!

Kill count 54
Star Wars Memes Only
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.