Why isn't life fair?

3,624 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Lone Stranger
Aggrad08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sure, I just don't see why you be surprised the arguments don't change.
dermdoc
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Sure, I just don't see why you be surprised the arguments don't change.
Not surprised at all. Great thinkers on the atheist/agnostic front.

My point is that people do not change.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nortex97
AG
I've heard it said a few times that 'there are no new heresies.' It reminds me of the old claim that all movie plots come down to a variation on something like 7 basic storylines.
codker92
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Why would a "fair and just God" have his creation be so unequal?

Why do some people hit the genetic lottery and have a life seemingly on easy mode, while others are thrust into this world with learning defects and little to no familial support?

Where you there when it was made?
DirtDiver
nortex97 said:

DirtDiver said:

nortex97 said:

But that's not responsive to the op's question, which is why God allowed for an unequal creation. This in itself presupposes that equality would be fair and that this is good/what God should have wanted.

But why? Wouldn't it be reasonable for God to have 'favorites' as Roman Catholics would be inclined to agree such as with Mary?

To tackle this I think there are a few questions to ask that we may not have answered to:

1. Was creation "unequal" in the beginning? Doesn't seem so
2. Is the "unequal" creation a result of the fall and cursed humanity? May very well be

We do know that God has allows inequality to exist (as humans define equality) in the same way He allows for pain, suffering, death, and sin to exist for a time.

I think we need also need to consider the differences between equality in the eyes of God vs human equality. We may view someone as being financially advantaged over another person however they could be morally depraved in the eyes of God as they accumulated that wealth by taking advantage of others.

Someone may be physically advantaged over another person and yet my use that advantage to commit immoral acts, while another person may be a quadriplegic and have a faithful relationship with God.

Our life on earth is but a breath. Does God make up for wrongs suffered in this life in eternity?

Do we? God has chosen some very colorful/flawed messengers, of course, of his Word. His 'favorites' such as Mary would, it seem, to have endured great heartache/suffering in their lives. God doesn't really make equality of opportunity, status, or success a theme of His book.

I don't think God 'makes up' for anything, or owes me for instance anything. Some things, it would seem, in this creation could be 'fixed' but are not, to alleviate suffering. It's a mystery to me.
The proof text for the idea that God "makes up" for suffering in eternity comes from these passages...

Luke 6:22 Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man. 23 Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven. For in the same way their fathers used to treat the prophets

Heb. 11:32 And what more shall I say? For time will fail me if I tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets, 33 who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. 35 Women received back their dead by resurrection; and others were tortured, not accepting their release, so that they might obtain a better resurrection; 36 and others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment. 37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated 38 (men of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground
nortex97
AG
Good verses but the Luke one in particular is about being mocked/rejected/scorned for...preaching the Word. This is a far cry from those suffering from unrelated actions/inactions/ailments.

Again, it's way, way above my pay grade, but I choose not to simply believe in a God that 'allows' suffering as exists in this world. I don't think beings could be free and always choose good, but I also don't think all (human) suffering today is a consequence of human action/agency. See: Evil and the God of Love (John Hick).
NowhereMan
First what is your standard of fair ? that may not be Gods
Second the trust fund child of privilege in reality must not be so great. Tom Hanks children Hunter Biden countless athletes and stars have horrible marriages including Jeff Bezos. Travolta son i could go on.

Riches and ease are road blocks to joy and love.
12thAngryMan
AG
What about fairness in the context of where you were born and whether your parents were Christian? An aboriginal in some remote part of South America might never be introduced to Jesus and the Christian God. Or even worse, what if your parents raise you as a Buddhist, Muslim, or pagan?

Not asking as a "gotcha", I've genuinely never heard a great answer for this one. Seems like you either say it doesn't matter (general revelation/inclusivism) and thus dilute the meaning of Christ's suffering, or you condemn half the world to hell for being born in the wrong place/time/family.
dermdoc
AG
12thAngryMan said:

What about fairness in the context of where you were born and whether your parents were Christian? An aboriginal in some remote part of South America might never be introduced to Jesus and the Christian God. Or even worse, what if your parents raise you as a Buddhist, Muslim, or pagan?

Not asking as a "gotcha", I've genuinely never heard a great answer for this one. Seems like you either say it doesn't matter (general revelation/inclusivism) and thus dilute the meaning of Christ's suffering, or you condemn half the world to hell for being born in the wrong place/time/family.
That and a lot of study and prayer convinced me that eternal torment hell does not exist.

And I am not trying to change anyone's mind and I know I am in the minority.

I actually think inclusivism increases the worth of the Atonement. Jesus paid for all sins, Truly good news which is what Gospel means.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12thAngryMan
AG
So is hell in your view just "not getting into heaven"? If so, does that mean an eternity in purgatory, or just a soul that fizzles out when your body does?
12thAngryMan
AG
dermdoc said:

I actually think inclusivism increases the worth of the Atonement. Jesus paid for all sins, Truly good news which is what Gospel means.

Logically valid, but doesn't that directly contradict the gospel?

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. (John 3:18)
dermdoc
AG
12thAngryMan said:

So is hell in your view just "not getting into heaven"? If so, does that mean an eternity in purgatory, or just a soul that fizzles out when your body does?
I believe God punishes as a loving Father does.

For rehab, not torture.

And as a Scriptural reference for my view on the Atonement

2 Corinthians 5:18-19

All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation. That God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people's sins against them.
dermdoc
AG
12thAngryMan said:

dermdoc said:

Logically valid, but doesn't that directly contradict the gospel?

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. (John 3:18)

That Scripture to me implies conscious rejection, not lack of knowledge.

And obviously, the key word is condemn and what does that mean exactly.

Most people interpret that as burning in Hell. I do not.

Goes against the character of God as revealed through Jesus.

John 3:17
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
1) Who said God was "fair" and "just"?

2) Who gets to define "fair" and "just"?

3) Who gets to judge "fair" and "just"?

I believe fairness and justice are human descriptors and values.

What seems fair and just to one, may seem completely unfair and unjust to another.

Even if God is "fair" and "just", we could never prove or disprove it because our timelines are limited while God's is not. We cannot see the full effect of everything we see or do or interact with, or know about. God does.
The Lone Stranger
If we go with the generic definition of fair, then the only being in the universe that is capable of being fair is God. Whenever I make a call, it is based on the amount of information I have about the people and situation at that moment. I can come close to being fair, but to really be fair I need to have all the information about quite a bit of stuff. I don't and never will, so I can get close, but never there.

However, God is the only being that has all the required information, so He is the only being capable of actually being fair.
The Lone Stranger
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.