On this day in 1415

1,253 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Silian Rail
Aggie1205
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jan Hus was burned at the stake in Konstanz in what is now Germany. He was influenced by John Wycliffe and in turn helped influence future reformers by speaking out against the selling of indulgences amongst other things. One of the early things that turned people against him was his investigation into the "Miracle at Wilsnack" which generated quite a bit of revenue for the bishop of that area. Another act that got him into trouble was his work against the selling of indulgences by John XIII to finance a war against King Ladislaus of Naples due to his support of Benedict XIII who was one of three men claiming to be pope around that time.

When they burned him at the stake, they originally had him facing east but decided that wasn't proper for a heretic to they switched him to facing west. Not sure that God cares what direction the people being burned by the Church face.

This led eventually to the Hussite wars in Bohemia and five different crusades being carried out.

Not only did Hus influence Luther, Moravians which can draw a lineage to the Hussite movement, had a large affect on John Wesley as well.

Jan Hus: Reformation in Bohemia by Oscar Kuhns and Robert Dickie is an interesting book if you want to dive in further.
swimmerbabe11
big fan of Hus
swimmerbabe11
obviously the previous emoticon was a mistake, the thumb in charge of said emoticon has been sacked
PabloSerna
AG
I read that he was NOT against indulgences, but against the selling of indulgences. There is a difference. Since he was a priest, the doctrine of indulgences is accepted. He was right to point out the greed which Bishops profited from the sale of indulgences- however, he argued for the REFORM of how indulgences were promoted.

Also, Pope John Paul II issued a mea culpa in 1999.

Another point Hus wanted was for the preaching to be in the local language and not in Latin.
94chem
swimmerbabe11 said:

obviously the previous emoticon was a mistake, the thumb in charge of said emoticon has been sacked
I just turned my monitor upside down.
nortex97
AG
Very interesting, gotta admit I've never read anything about him.
UTExan
nortex97 said:

One of a line of Reformers the institutional church tried to silence by murder. The Lollards and Waldensians were also victims.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BluHorseShu
AG
UTExan said:

nortex97 said:

One of a line of Reformers the institutional church tried to silence by murder. The Lollards and Waldensians were also victims.
Those Waldensians were an interesting albeit misguided group. They had to have the Church translate scripture for them and then tossed out key elements. This was the first group to ever propose the pope was the anti-Christ. Which, is somewhat understandable given the way they were treated. I'm not sure giving your money and children away is what Christ requires of us.
Silian Rail
We thought they looked cold and got a bit overzealous
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.