Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR)

1,367 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mark Fairchild
747Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where my Papists at?

Meanwhile, the CMSWR...

jrico2727
AG

File5
AG
Papist here, what am I supposed to be concerned about? Don't get the references
747Ag
AG
File5 said:

Papist here, what am I supposed to be concerned about? Don't get the references

Two different groups of religious sisters and nuns with two different approaches. LCWR has tended away from traditional habits and orthodoxy. Older members. CMSWR is a newer group with more traditional outlook (habits, orthodoxy) and tends to be attracting the bulk of today's women religious vocations.

Some nuggets around these groups here (noting a Vatican inquiry/visitation of the LCWR):
https://micbro.cybercatholics.com/?p=1183

I knew this was "inside baseball" but I didn't realize how inside it was.
747Ag
AG
jrico2727 said:

For whatever reason, I can't see this image. Raising 8 kids puts me in the lol poors class.
Sapper Redux
The second group is the youth movement? Yeesh.
jrico2727
AG
Sadly, a Mother Angelica meme was too spicy for the Texags filter, lol.
Mark Fairchild
AG
The LCWR orders are slowly dying out, and I mean that literally. The orders such as Mother Angelica's Poor Clares are vastly more appealing to young women who have discerned a vocation. The Dominicans in Nashville, TN have two or three AGGIES in their order, and can't build residence cells fast enough. The same can be said about the appeal of monastaries for men.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
747Ag
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

The LCWR orders are slowly dying out, and I mean that literally. The orders such as Mother Angelica's Poor Clares are vastly more appealing to young women who have discerned a vocation. The Dominicans in Nashville, TN have two or three AGGIES in their order, and can't build residence cells fast enough. The same can be said about the appeal of monastaries for men.
I knew two of these Nashville Dominicans back in college. One of them, prior to her entry, facilitated me meeting my wife.
PabloSerna
AG
I happen to know both Sisters and Nuns in the Dominican Order.

They operate on different "pillars" of our shared Dominican charism - Order of Preachers. I would say the women religious who choose to live a more monastic lifestyle, wear their habits almost exclusively. Whereas the women religious who seek a more active role in outreach ministries, wear their habits (they do have them) on a limited basis.

Both preach - in their own way. We, as an order, have not split like our Franciscan friends or the Carmelites. We recognize that none of us (Dominicans) have a monopoly on the mission.

So it is erroneous to think one is growing and the other is dying. Give it time.

+++

Take a look at each of their websites and you will see two different approaches to preaching.

Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa

Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

ETA: I deleted a reference to Satan sowing division, because it was a jab. Indeed God has established each of these orders, secular institutes, and movements for all.
PabloSerna
AG
I think what is appealing for some, may be the monastic lifestyle apart from the harsh reality of the current world. Sort of a retreat to simpler times, not unlike the monastic movements of old.

In contrast, there is the mission. This requires a different outlook and spirituality. The mission field may be in the urban setting or jungle of South America. So, different appeals for the different people discerning God's call.

Mark Fairchild
AG
We were at a weekend retreat at the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and had gone to EWTN for the taping of some of their programing. Well, the Dominican sisters were there also, and we met the AGGIE sisters. It was kind of like we had a mini YELL Practice with them. They were so filled with joy. Great experience. (Good Bull)
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.