Divorce and dating at 55+

4,367 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by File5
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy All;

I'm looking for suggestions/advice on navigating the dating world at 55+ years old.

I use Match.com and have been on some dates, but I would really like to connect with a church in the Fort Worth area that has people my age and similar life experiences.
Martin Q. Blank
Google "community church" or "bible church." Look for signs out front or on their website that say something like "come as you are." Guaranteed to have what you're looking for.
GeorgiAg
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Howdy All;

I'm looking for suggestions/advice on navigating the dating world at 55+ years old.

I use Match.com and have been on some dates, but I would really like to connect with a church in the Fort Worth area that has people my age and similar life experiences.
I got divorced at 46. I did Match, Bumble, Tinder, etc. Just gotta line 'em up and keep going out on dates. (Don't recommend Tinder as much.) There is a lot of hit and miss. I went on dozens of dates. I finally found a really awesome gal I've been dating exclusively for going on 5 years. Neither of us are very religious, but if that is something you want, put it in your bio or even include it in your pictures.

The dating sites make meeting your special someone so much more likely than just randomly bumping into people. And all my friends "setting me up were terrible choices.

Good luck.
ABATTBQ87
AG
GeorgiAg said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Howdy All;

I got divorced at 46. I did Match, Bumble, Tinder, etc. Just gotta line 'em up and keep going out on dates. (Don't recommend Tinder as much.) There is a lot of hit and miss. I went on dozens of dates. I finally found a really awesome gal I've been dating exclusively for going on 5 years. Neither of us are very religious, but if that is something you want, put it in your bio or even include it in your pictures.

The dating sites make meeting your special someone so much more likely than just randomly bumping into people. And all my friends "setting me up were terrible choices.

Good luck.

Thanks, so dating during the Trump administration was good for you? (just had to gig ya)
Howdy Dammit
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

that has people my age and similar life experiences.

Screw that. Go with the 35 year old
GeorgiAg
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

GeorgiAg said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Howdy All;

Good luck.

Thanks, so dating during the Trump administration was good for you? (just had to gig ya)
Ha! It was! Cheap gas for dates!
Gomer95
AG
We have went to Southcliff Church in Fort Worth for 20 years and loved it and while you do need to connect with a local church for multiple reasons, your Spiritual life and growth are #1 with finding a date an added bonus if it happens lol. That said, we have several people and classes aka "grow groups" for your age and over.

If you (or anyone here) decide to come visit some Sunday let me know here or via a Private Message and I'll look for you and give you some more info. My wife and I volunteer at the Welcome center at the 11 AM service but there will be someone there at the 9:30 service as well. I'll be praying you find the right church God wants you at, whether that's Southcliff or somewhere else!

The website is https://www.southcliff.com/ if you want to look at it. Good luck!
ABATTBQ87
AG
I attend LifeChurch which is south of yall on the Chisholm trail toll road and sycamore school road.

Shoot me an email please heycoachjeff@gmail.com for introductions
Gomer95
AG
I've heard LifeChurch is a good church as well!
ABATTBQ87
AG
Gomer95 said:

I've heard LifeChurch is a good church as well!
It is, but not a large population of 55+ attendees, as the focus is on the teens to 40s crowd.

I coach the softball team there and we play in Burleson, so I'm plugged in and active
aggrad02
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Howdy All;

Look I'm a atheist but joining a church just to get laid may not be the best idea.
Duncan Idaho
We can debate the morality of it. But it will 100% be effective.

aggrad02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

We can debate the morality of it. But it will 100% be effective.

Tip of the hat.
Duncan Idaho
I say this not out of person experience but based on watching my newly divorced friends and family. Picking up a temporary partner at a bar? "That is just sad and would you want to be in a relationship with someone that hangs out at bars?"

Going through a string of partners you met at church? "They are a good Christian, it just didn't work out."
diehard03
Quote:

Look I'm a atheist but joining a church just to get laid may not be the best idea.

it's a feature, not a bug, for most evangelical churches.
bigtruckguy3500
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I'm actually quite surprised. Growing up I used to think so many were waiting till marriage, and all that stuff. I think social media is exposing a lot of the hypocrisy of those that preach one thing and do something else. I've actually met people that are in seminary school who have active sex lives out of wedlock, and have completely modern views on sex outside of marriage to where they plan on ministering that it's ok. And by that I don't mean they promote the hook up culture or anything, but just that it's ok if you're in a meaningful committed relationship.

A lot of stuff is changing that I never expected to.
Duncan Idaho
In this particular context, You are conflating 2 things/staged of life

Namely "no sex before I get married" is world's apart from "no sex after my marriage ends"

I have no doubt that a fair number of girls you know were saving themselves for marriage (at least for a while or untill they got serious with someone) but in general, the divorced are not practicing anywhere near the same level of chasity that a teen/20 something never been married crowd might.
GeorgiAg
AG
Also, divorced women in their 30s/40s, aren't like women in their teens/20s. Some of those Tinder/Match dates I went on, I was a piece of meat! And if they have kids, they don't want to be messing around at any dinner or whatnot. It's time to get back at their ex!

One date I went on, I was asking what she wanted to do after dinner. She said the Cheetah, which is a high end strip club in Atlanta. Turns out she used to dance there and knew everyone. Fun date, but certainly not what I'm looking for long-term.

It's definitely hit-and-miss.
diehard03
Quote:

I'm actually quite surprised. Growing up I used to think so many were waiting till marriage, and all that stuff. I think social media is exposing a lot of the hypocrisy of those that preach one thing and do something else. I've actually met people that are in seminary school who have active sex lives out of wedlock, and have completely modern views on sex outside of marriage to where they plan on ministering that it's ok. And by that I don't mean they promote the hook up culture or anything, but just that it's ok if you're in a meaningful committed relationship.

yeah, i'll say that pastors preaching that sex is ok out of marriage is certainly not the norm nor is something I would glean from social media as being a trend that's changing.

And to clarify my point, I don't mean that the church itself promotes that hook up, but rather sees men (or women) coming to church to find mates as a good thing, rather than something to be dissuaded. it is part of the "whatever gets them in the door" mentality.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Rent it or get a dog.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
c-jags
bigtruckguy3500 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

my boss has said something similar to this and it was bewildering to me.

his daughter moved in with her boyfriend and he and his wife were trying to reconcile it because they were totally against it. their counselor/pastor told them if they ended up being committed and monogamous to one another, it was still pure and keeping their marriage vows. while i 100% think that it's better than sleeping around, from a Christian standpoint, it's absolutely still sin. he didn't like it, but i think accepted it to justify still maintaining a relationship with his daughter.

i don't think having sex outside of marriage is the end all be all sin (just like homosexuality,) and you're forever ruined because you chose to do it, but it's still sin. We don't get to not call it that because you're of a certain age or not doing it vigorously.

we were at pine cove this last week and talking to some friends about culture issues like this and she said that when she was married at 24, she went into the OBGYN to start taking birth control a few months before the wedding and her OBGYN called her a liar when she said she was a virgin. She had never encountered a 24 year old virgin.

as i've gotten older, i've definitely encountered people in the church that confessed they didn't wait when you never would have thought so beforehand. most were just sleeping with one another and not around, but i guess the people waiting for marriage are far less than we'd like to think.
schmendeler
AG
Having been married for a while, the "wait till you're married" thing is more about the immaturity of the person rather than some wonderful ideal that delivers a benefit. If you're kind of immature emotionally then sex isn't a great idea. But the idea of waiting to have sex until you're married and you're in your thirties or later? Silliness.
File5
AG
Ideals, such silliness.

There are very real benefits to waiting until marriage, even if it's *gasp* in your thirties. Perhaps those that think it silly just feel guilty that they couldn't (not) do it? Rationalizing ones life choices can be hard to avoid, especially bad ones that we enjoyed immensely. Losing virginity is a tough one as you either have it or don't have it at marriage, and you only have to mess up once to be completely changed. It's hard for one to look back and admit they messed up, and we sinners tend to make silly excuses.
schmendeler
AG
Pointless ideals are silly
File5
AG
The same mindset that thinks it's silly to wait for marriage is what got us into this mess of single-parent homes, IMO. What ideals do YOU have?

Honor, commitment, self-control - waiting until marriage requires all of these. What do yours require?
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Is this why pastors sometimes end their sermons with "lick it before you stick it"
-Ben There/R.C.
12thMan9
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Is this why pastors sometimes end their sermons with "lick it before you stick it"
Would this solve monkeypox?
Ronnie '88
itsyourboypookie
File5 said:

The same mindset that thinks it's silly to wait for marriage is what got us into this mess of single-parent homes, IMO. What ideals do YOU have?

Honor, commitment, self-control - waiting until marriage requires all of these. What do yours require?

I'm currently looking for a 3rd baby momma. I live co parenting better than one vagina forever
B-1 83
AG
Ourtime.com. It's aimed at the over 50 crowd.

Oh, and a bunch of you should be jailed for adultery.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
File5
AG
Do your thing my man!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.