Pour one out for Brother Jed

2,834 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dilettante
barbacoa taco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.purdueexponent.org/campus/article_b74776da-e752-11ec-8a5b-d7d5d51ebb90.html

Jed was probably the most well-known campus preacher, who stopped at A&M once or twice a year and always drew a decent crowd. He was pretty bombastic and controversial. I met him once while in college. He was actually kinda nice in person.
nortex97
AG
I've never heard of them, and I'm sure he meant well, but that kind of divisive/judgmental open-air proselytizing has always struck me as, at best, counterproductive and at worst it drives young people away from seeking God.
BluHorseShu
AG
nortex97 said:

I've never heard of them, and I'm sure he meant well, but that kind of divisive/judgmental open-air proselytizing has always struck me as, at best, counterproductive and at worst it drives young people away from seeking God.
Completely agree. I've never understood why people who do this believe it draws people to Christ. If anything, it almost seemed like they were trying to martyr themselves but without actually being fruitful. My other supposition is that many, if not most, if these people came from a very very low place in their lives and someone convinced them that the way to heaven is fear and this approach is the only way scripture teaches.
Edit to add, he was also Pelagian in his belief (aka without sin).
TxAgPreacher
S
nortex97 said:

Forgive me for disagreeing, but this is insane to me. Jesus came preaching in a style that would look exactly like open air proselytizing at times.

Quote:

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
His disciples preached the exact same thing. He would start talking, and crowds would form. He didn't invite them to a bible study or church. He would approach someone, and then crowds would form. He sent is disciples out to preach.

I get that telling people they are headed for hell is off putting to some, and its not my personal opener, but the gospel is divisive by nature.

I bet he converted more people than most who hold the opinion that he was divisive and counterproductive.

Paul went to a public place and just started preaching:
Quote:

Ac 17:22-34 22 Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, "Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; 23 for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription:

TO THE UNKNOWN GOD

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: 24 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. 26 And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also His offspring.' 29 Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man's devising. 30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."
32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, "We will hear you again on this matter." 33 So Paul departed from among them. 34 However, some men joined him and believed, among them Dionysius the Areopagite, a woman named Damaris, and others with them.
So Paul came on to their turf, and openly told them that even though they were religious, their religion was wrong, and told them they were ignorant about the true God, and that they needed to repent.

Yes, some are always turned off by the true gospel, because that's what the gospel does, it either hardens or softens the heart.

Quote:

Heb 4:11-13 12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

Nobody is perfect, but I respect imperfect people, imperfectly presenting the gospel. At least they are trying. I find the most judgmental are always crying judgmental. Isn't it a judgment to accuse someone of being judgmental. Ironic really.
nortex97
AG
You don't need my forgiveness for disagreeing with me, but I just disagree with your analyses from top to bottom there.

Was it a radical message when Jesus preached it? Yes.

Did he walk around shouting fire and brimstone in a public square? No.

Do I/should anyone hold others to a standard of perfection in preaching the gospel? Of course not.

Yes, to find some agreement, Paul was quite...cantankerous/had a temper. That doesn't mean I should thus endorse this type of preaching, imho.
TxAgPreacher
S
nortex97 said:

You don't need my forgiveness for disagreeing with me, but I just disagree with your analyses from top to bottom there.

Was it a radical message when Jesus preached it? Yes.

Did he walk around shouting fire and brimstone in a public square? No.

Do I/should anyone hold others to a standard of perfection in preaching the gospel? Of course not.

Yes, to find some agreement, Paul was quite...cantankerous/had a temper. That doesn't mean I should thus endorse this type of preaching, imho.
I'm sorry that's just crazy to me.
Quote:

Jude 22-23 22 And on some have compassion, making a distinction; 23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.
Jesus preaching fire and brimstone in a public square:
Quote:

Lk 17:24-30 24 For as the lightning that flashes out of one part under heaven shines to the other part under heaven, so also the Son of Man will be in His day. 25 But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation. 26 And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: 27 They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. 28 Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; 29 but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. 30 Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.
nortex97
AG
None of the verses you just cited indicate he walked around in a public square shouting fire and brimstone at others.

Yes, he certainly was aware of his future suffering/sacrifice.

Just as he castigated Peter for drawing/wielding a sword, and defended a prostitute, he was a kind man/rabbi to those around him, in words and action.
TxAgPreacher
S
nortex97 said:

None of the verses you just cited indicate he walked around in a public square shouting fire and brimstone at others.

Just as he castigated Peter for drawing/wielding a sword, and defended a prostitute, he was a kind man/rabbi to those around him, in words and action.
He literally used the word brimstone... he was in the town square ... we can't read the same thing and just say it doesn't say that.

I don't know what else to tell ya. That isn't all he said, but he did say it.

Don't make God in your own image. This is what he did, and what he said.

You don't spread the gospel with the sword, but that has nothing to do with fire and brimstone preaching, which has its place. Jesus did it himself.
powerbelly
AG
Nothing like out-of-context scripture to make your point.

The way Jesus preached in no way resembles what brother Jed preached. Based on your responses I am not sure you have ever heard Jed and his wife.
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

Nothing like out-of-context scripture to make your point.

The way Jesus preached in no way resembles what brother Jed preached.
I wasn't there for all of Jed's preaching, so maybe he got some stuff wrong.

Explain how what I said is out of context.

The context:
He healed
Quote:

11 Now it happened as He went to Jerusalem that He passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee. 12 Then as He entered a certain village, there met Him ten men who were lepers, who stood afar off
a crowd gathered because there was shouting, and the Pharisees asked him a question:
Quote:

20 Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them
His explanation contained fire and brimstone.
nortex97
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

He literally used the word brimstone... he was in the town square ... we can't read the same thing and just say it doesn't say that.

You don't spread the gospel with the sword, but that has nothing to do with fire and brimstone preaching, which has its place. Jesus did it himself.
Sorry, where did you read the word 'brimstone' in what you cited?

If it was Luke 17, are you aware he was talking to…the disciples there, right after healing 10 lepers thanks to the power of their own faith? Isn't the story of his grace toward not just 1, but all 10 lepers the bigger message of the chapter? Surely, he could have shouted magnificent threats of fire and brimstone at them if this was the model he championed, right?

How would you know the 13 were in the 'town square' based on the text/context?

If not there, then what other verse do you think shows Jesus Christ preaching fire and brimstone in the town square? I am genuinely unaware of any. Thanks.
powerbelly
AG
Talking about fire and brimstone =/= fire and brimstone preaching.
TxAgPreacher
S
nortex97 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

If it was Luke 17, are you aware he was talking to…the disciples there, right after healing 10 lepers thanks to the power of their own faith? Isn't the story of his grace toward not just 1, but all 10 lepers the bigger message of the chapter? Surely, he could have shouted magnificent threats of fire and brimstone at them if this was the model he championed, right?

If not there, then what other verse do you think shows Jesus Christ preaching fire and brimstone in the town square? I am genuinely unaware of any. Thanks.
look above ill post again:

Quote:

Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. 30 Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.
Every word of scripture is breath by God, and Jesus (the word):
Quote:

Jn 1:12. 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.
So every hellfire passage is from Christ.

To be clear I don't believe in only and all the time hellfire preaching. I just hate the dogpiling on people who do.
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.
powerbelly
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.
Just admit you don't understand the difference. It's okay.

Hint: You don't need to say fire & brimstone to be a fire & brimstone preacher.
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!
powerbelly
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!
It's not a burn. You clearly don't understand. It's okay.
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!
You don't really believe that. You're just insulting me because I was dismissive of your argument.
powerbelly
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!
You don't really believe that.
Are you a wizard? How do you know what I do and don't believe?
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!
It's obvious that I have the mental capacity to understand. It was just a silly point. Twisting words, and playing semantical games. Lets not derail.
powerbelly
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!
It's obvious that I have the mental capacity to understand. It was just a silly point. Twisting words, and playing semantical games. Lets not derail.
I don't think you understand. It's clear by your responses.

If you have spent any time listening to Jed you would know it in no way mirrors the preaching of Jesus.
diehard03
Quote:

Forgive me for disagreeing, but this is insane to me. Jesus came preaching in a style that would look exactly like open air proselytizing at times.

Your responses in the other thread are making more sense now.

I think we should be careful to consider the context of Jesus teachings (jewish audience, jewish people being God's chosen, etc) to the general world of today and trying to make parallels.
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!

If you have spent any time listening to Jed you would know it in no way mirrors the preaching of Jesus.
I only heard small bits as I walked past. So if I'm out of bounds here forgive me.

I do believe in hellfire, and brimstone preaching, from time to time.
powerbelly
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!

I only heard small bits as I walked past. So if I'm out of bounds here forgive me.

If you can point out where Jesus randomly called girls ****s and *****s you might have something.
TxAgPreacher
S
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Your responses in the other thread are making more sense now.

I think we should be careful to consider the context of Jesus teachings (jewish audience, jewish people being God's chosen, etc) to the general world of today and trying to make parallels.
I disagree here.

His disciples preaching the same message all over the world.

I agree with tact, but also sometimes he used shock.
TxAgPreacher
S
powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

TxAgPreacher said:

powerbelly said:

LOL. Ok.

Sick burn bro!

If you can point out where Jesus randomly called girls ****s and *****s you might have something.
LOL fair point!

That isn't the gospel though, and hellfire is a part of it. Just saying don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
BluHorseShu
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't call random people he knew nothing about '*****s' . The 'fire and brimstone' preacher in the OP was more on par with Westboro Baptist's approach. Christ was blunt but also taught a great deal with love and many parables. Fire and brimstone alone do not bring people to Christ. We should love And fear God, but it we do a disservice to the gospels if we give non Christian's the idea that the only reason to follow Christ is fear of eternal damnation. It's a result of choosing not to follow, but misses, in a big way, the joy and what is gained following him. Paul certainly rebuked people, but even he had to ask Peter to tone it down once or twice.

Edited: autocorrect wanted 'whites' instead of 'w-hores''…which is odd (unless it's a TA thing)
TxAgPreacher
S
BluHorseShu said:

TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't call random people he knew nothing about 'whites'. The 'fire and brimstone' preacher in the OP was more on par with Westboro Baptist's approach. Christ was blunt but also taught a great deal with love and many parables. Fire and brimstone alone do not bring people to Christ. We should love And fear God, but it we do a disservice to the gospels if we give non Christian's the idea that the only reason to follow Christ is fear of eternal damnation. It's a result of choosing not to follow, but misses, in a big way, the joy and what is gained following him. Paul certainly rebuked people, but even he had to ask Peter to tone it down once or twice
Sorry if I gave a wrong impression.

I pretty much entirely agree with this!
nortex97
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

Quote:

Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. 30 Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.
Quote:

Jn 1:12. 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.

To be clear I don't believe in only and all the time hellfire preaching. I just hate the dogpiling on people who do.
So, it is the conclusion to Luke 17, as he talks to his disciples about the son of man returning, that you base...fire and brimstone/Lot is now how the Gospel Truth should be preached in a town square?

Jesus did not preach in that manner, period. That he referenced a sudden, surprising final return is true, but nothing you have posted/cited indicates an endorsement of this type of preaching. He was, again, in 17 talking to the disciples. The message is again in this chapter to pray for the faithful, humility, cleansing of the 10 lepers, and then, finally his triumphant return.

No where does he do things like shout at a woman 'you *****. you will go to hell.' PERIOD.

Quote:

Verses 20-37 The kingdom of God was among the Jews, or rather within some of them. It was a spiritual kingdom, set up in the heart by the power of Divine grace. Observe how it had been with sinners formerly, and in what state the judgments of God, which they had been warned of, found them. Here is shown what a dreadful surprise this destruction will be to the secure and sensual. Thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed. When Christ came to destroy the Jewish nation by the Roman armies, that nation was found in such a state of false security as is here spoken of. In like manner, when Jesus Christ shall come to judge the world, sinners will be found altogether regardless; for in like manner the sinners of every age go on securely in their evil ways, and remember not their latter end. But wherever the wicked are, who are marked for eternal ruin, they shall be found by the judgments of God.
TxAgPreacher
S
nortex97 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

nortex97 said:

Quote:

Quote:

No where does he do things like shout at a woman 'you *****. you will go to hell.' PERIOD.
lets leave it at this: I agree!

I believe he was still in the town square, but changed his focus to His disciples, and yes preached a hellfire, and brimstone sermon in the town square. The whole next chapter is just him continuing to preach, with more and more people coming up to Him.
diehard03
Quote:

I disagree here.

With whom did he use shock with?
TxAgPreacher
S
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I disagree here.

With whom did he use shock with?

He was rude, and ignored, then called one woman a dog, presumably to show others the correct attitude when coming to God is relentless.

Quote:

Matthew 15:23-28 But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying out after us." 24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." 25 But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." 26 And he answered, "It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." 27 She said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." 28 Then Jesus answered her, "O woman, great is your faith!

He also sent His OT prophets out to do performative art, and even running around necked to get people's attention.

Jonah wasn't particularly nice.

Lots of examples of shock.
diehard03
I don't think you're really engaging honestly here.

Good luck to you.
TxAgPreacher
S
diehard03 said:

I don't think you're really engaging honestly here.

Good luck to you.
Or I want to be like Jesus. The man who constantly made people uncomfortable, then gave them hope.

I'm trying to challenge your thinking to help you, and I both be more like Him. That takes balance.

I believe Jesus long ago would have turned over tables and used a whip in our churches for watering down the message and selling coffee in the foyer.
diehard03

Quote:

I'm trying to challenge your thinking to help you, and I both be more like Him. That takes balance.

Balance of what? Wheres the balance in your previous statements about shock/awe being the strategy?

Quote:

I believe Jesus long ago would have turned over tables and used a whip in our churches for watering down the message and selling coffee in the foyer.

I honestly don't disagree with you...but shock/awe is the same problem on the other side. It's not balanced.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.