Nice article on quantum entanglement and the collapsing quantum wave function

901 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, the article start's with Einstein's "I cannot seriously believe in it because the theory cannot be reconciled with the idea that physics should represent a reality in time and space, free from spooky action at a distance."

But the article says that there is no spooky action at a distance, just that, prior to observation, the attributes of a particle can be estimated by a probability. The observation provides more information about not only the observed particle, but any particle that it is entangled with.

Quote:

Suppose Charlie wants to send holiday greeting cards to Alice and Bob. Charlie has a supply of red cards and green cards. He tells Alice and Bob they will get the same color card, but he doesn't reveal which color. Then he assigns each color to one side of a coin, flips it, and, based on the coin toss, picks identical cards to mail to Alice and Bob. While Alice has a 50-50 chance of guessing the colorcall that the probability functiononce she opens the envelope, the probability wave collapses: now she knows not only that her card is, say, red, but that Bob's is red too.

Spooky action? Wrong again. But in these quantum examples it's because Alice's measurement has collapsed the quantum probability function for both her and Bob's electrons. That's because, in their entangled state, they were in essence mathematically bound too each other, having shared the initial state of entanglement when they were near each other. An equation described the state and probabilities, which traveled with the electrons wherever they went, describing any potential observer's knowledge of the system. The electrons are bound together by being described by the same probability function, but they are not physically bound in any way.

The article concludes that Einstein fully understood this, but stated his criticism in a way that was meant to simplify the real problem with the theory. The reality is that describing the real state of the world (is the cat really dead, or is he alive, or is he both) makes no sense. The cat was either dead or alive a long time ago, it's just that quantum mechanics can describe the probability of the cat having been dead or alive to an ignorant observer. The observation only provides additional knowledge about the nature of two particles, it has no impact on either of the particles nature.

This seems just so intuitive. The problem is that some Copenhagen zealots were so adamant that observation changes the state of the Universe. This just can't be so.

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2022/04/14/spooky_action_at_a_distance_not_a_chance_827017.html
Sea Speed
AG
this seems relevant (i think) and I appreciate you posting this because the double slit experiment has always boggled my mind, as someone who is not mathematically inclined, and your post made me look up this article.

https://medium.com/science-first/the-double-slit-experiment-demystified-disproving-the-quantum-consciousness-connection-ee8384a50e2f
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I wish they addressed Bell's theorem, which would be the counterpoint to their side.

BusterAg
AG
Thanks for posting these, I will catch up on them soon.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

The cat was either dead or alive a long time ago, it's just that quantum mechanics can describe the probability of the cat having been dead or alive to an ignorant observer. The observation only provides additional knowledge about the nature of two particles, it has no impact on either of the particles nature.

This seems just so intuitive. The problem is that some Cop
Read the article and didn't get that at all. What you are describing is the "hidden variable" theory of quantum mechanics. Basically saying that quantum particles don't exist as indefinite possibilities, but instead they have fixed properties and only our knowledge of them is limited. So we're missing the "hidden variable" that would tell us exactly what is the properties of the quantum particle. This has been proven to be unworkable for 2 reasons. One, as stated above, the only current viable hidden variable theories are non-local and violate causality as well. The second is that it doesn't add anything to the predictive value of current quatum theories. So even if there is some "real state" that we just can't calculate until measuring it, it just makes the calculations harder than probabalistic calculations.

I got from the article that entangled particles are all described by the same mathematical equation, whether it's 2, 10, or 1000 particles. The equation starts out giving probabilities. But when take a measurement and enter a value for a variable, then that equation gives a definite result. Not just for the particle measured, but for every particle defined by that equation. No matter how far away they've travelled or separated. Which is counterintuitive but really cool. Like the universe knows the equation and all the particles it applies to no matter where they are. However, entanglement is a local process, so it can't happen at a distance. So the particles have to be together to entangle, and then can be separated. Since they can't be separated faster than light, they can't violate causality. So no ansibles with two way communication unfortunately
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.