Kind of off topic - Christian Science fiction

1,240 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
BAP Enthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I've been thinking of an idea for Christian fiction and was curious if anything like this existed:

Humanity is on the verge of spreading around the stars and is close to forming a post-religious global government when they encounter an alien species soon after the invention of FTL. They begin a cultural exchange and through the exchange with the help of cultural anthropologists discover that their religious histories are nearly identical dating back 3000+ years even to the point of Jesus' sacrifice happening at nearly an identical period.

Scientists at first claim it's a coincidence until eventually coming to the conclusion that it has to be some older alien species that visited both worlds at the same time. Later they begin encountering more and more species with nearly carbon copies of Christianity even with the symbolism of the Cross and near identical religious texts. Eventually the conclusion becomes undeniable proof that God is real and Jesus was sent to save the universe from sin.

Needless to say this throws humanity back at home on Earth into near chaos as the reaction is extreme in both ways. Churches are flooded with new believers but also with angry people suffering from despair at the fact that their non-believing dead relatives were not saved when they died.

Has anyone written anything like this? I'd be curious to see the reaction if someone did.

On a related note, can anyone recommend science fiction that takes place in space that actually has a Christian slant? I know there are numerous fantasy works with it but I have rarely seen much that dealt with space.
kurt vonnegut
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

So I've been thinking of an idea for Christian fiction and was curious if anything like this existed:

Humanity is on the verge of spreading around the stars and is close to forming a post-religious global government when they encounter an alien species soon after the invention of FTL. They begin a cultural exchange and through the exchange with the help of cultural anthropologists discover that their religious histories are nearly identical dating back 3000+ years even to the point of Jesus' sacrifice happening at nearly an identical period.

Scientists at first claim it's a coincidence until eventually coming to the conclusion that it has to be some older alien species that visited both worlds at the same time. Later they begin encountering more and more species with nearly carbon copies of Christianity even with the symbolism of the Cross and near identical religious texts. Eventually the conclusion becomes undeniable proof that God is real and Jesus was sent to save the universe from sin.

Needless to say this throws humanity back at home on Earth into near chaos as the reaction is extreme in both ways. Churches are flooded with new believers but also with angry people suffering from despair at the fact that their non-believing dead relatives were not saved when they died.

Has anyone written anything like this? I'd be curious to see the reaction if someone did.

On a related note, can anyone recommend science fiction that takes place in space that actually has a Christian slant? I know there are numerous fantasy works with it but I have rarely seen much that dealt with space.

I think you would enjoy A Canticle for Leibowitz. No aliens, but it touches on the post religious society ideas. Well written. Good book.
Duncan Idaho
Crosses being a universal symbol? So all the other worlds independently develop crucifixion as a means of execution independently and at the same time?

Does that also mean that the fall in the garden happened on every planet? Just some?

Would all of these planets gone through the equivalent of the flood? Or would they still have people living 1000's of years?

What about the tower of babel? Did that happen on all of the planets? Would they still all speak the same language on each planet? Would it be the same language on all planets?

I think a more interesting story would be finding multiple planets at different phases of a Christ story with earth being in the middle or planets where the key events never took place. A world without original sin, without the flood, without the tower of babel...or planets where prophecied events have taken place. A planet in the midst of the 1000 year reign, a planet with a new Jerusalem.

AGC
AG
That's somewhat like Lewis' space trilogy.
Beer Baron
AG
It doesn't have a Christian "slant," but the Expanse books touch on it in places. One book in particular has a POV character who is a minister and she interacts with other types of faith leaders quite a bit. The Mormons also play a big but tangential role.
BAP Enthusiast
Duncan Idaho said:

Crosses being a universal symbol? So all the other worlds independently develop crucifixion as a means of execution independently and at the same time?

Does that also mean that the fall in the garden happened on every planet? Just some?

Would all of these planets gone through the equivalent of the flood? Or would they still have people living 1000's of years?

What about the tower of babel? Did that happen on all of the planets? Would they still all speak the same language on each planet? Would it be the same language on all planets?

I think a more interesting story would be finding multiple planets at different phases of a Christ story with earth being in the middle or planets where the key events never took place. A world without original sin, without the flood, without the tower of babel...or planets where prophecied events have taken place. A planet in the midst of the 1000 year reign, a planet with a new Jerusalem.

It's a basic idea, but more or less every alien species we discover has a near carbon copy of Christianity in their past. They don't have to be the same age but it's clear that when translated Jesus is the name of the savior and the words of their religious text is nearly identical to the Bible with some obvious differences due to biology and other aspects.

The primary point would be that Jesus came and died to save every single civilization in the universe from sin, but no one realizes this until they develop FTL and encounter other species. Thus, the big filter that keeps people from developing FTL is Satan desperately trying to keep people from going into space and using all of his influence to keep a civilization bound to a single planet because once the truth is known, there can be no denying it.

I think encountering species at different levels along the path would be very interesting as well. The directive would be to never make contact with any species who is living prior to Jesus' sacrifice and to observe them only in order to allow them to make their own path.

You could incorporate a whole lot of hard sci-fi concepts with the overall storyline.
Duncan Idaho
Then that isn't a god worth worshiping. Getting creation so wrong that you have to send the vast vast majority of your creation to hell once is bad enough.

Being an all knowing being not bound by time that does it countless times on countless planets is either pretty pathetic or willfully sadistic. One is worthy of ridicule and one is worthy of disgust but neither is worthy of worship.
Frok
AG
AGC said:

That's somewhat like Lewis' space trilogy.

That would be my suggestion as the Lewis' trilogy is similar. The idea is Earth is the "Silent Planet" because it has fallen.

This thread makes me think of this cartoon:
kurt vonnegut
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Duncan Idaho said:

It's a basic idea, but more or less every alien species we discover has a near carbon copy of Christianity in their past. They don't have to be the same age but it's clear that when translated Jesus is the name of the savior and the words of their religious text is nearly identical to the Bible with some obvious differences due to biology and other aspects.

The primary point would be that Jesus came and died to save every single civilization in the universe from sin, but no one realizes this until they develop FTL and encounter other species. Thus, the big filter that keeps people from developing FTL is Satan desperately trying to keep people from going into space and using all of his influence to keep a civilization bound to a single planet because once the truth is known, there can be no denying it.

I think encountering species at different levels along the path would be very interesting as well. The directive would be to never make contact with any species who is living prior to Jesus' sacrifice and to observe them only in order to allow them to make their own path.

You could incorporate a whole lot of hard sci-fi concepts with the overall storyline.

I generally love the idea of a novel that tackles religion and science fiction in this manner. My input would be that the plot seems way too 'on the nose'. It sounds more like a Christian fantasy than an actual story. The theme is basically "Christianity is right, haha, told you so". I get the appeal of that - but I don't see what we learn about ourselves from this book.

Imagine the exact book you suggested, but make it about Hinduism. You might enjoy the story, but it isn't going to change your mind or really affect you. You'll ultimately decide that its a book from a Hindu author writing fiction proof of why Hinduism is correct.

I think a more interesting book could be written that still 'confirms' Christianity while offering a more interesting perspective and introspection.

Consider this: Humanity makes first contact with an alien species that is on the brink of their own self annihilation from millennia of religious conflict. After months of communicating and trading information with the alien species, we discover their predominant religion kinda closely matches Christianity. Why wouldn't God tailor each planet's Savior? Their religion can be close enough to draw lots of parallels, but different enough to allow room for skepticism.

The book could follow the months of communicating with the alien species following the religious and political fallout on each planet upon meeting and learning from the other aliens. The book would follow the alien civilization as the introduction of humans into their worldview propels them quicker and quicker toward self annihilations as different factions of aliens fight over how to react or interpret the newcomers. . . . . until ultimately either destroying themselves as a means to foreshadow humanity's destruction if it continues its in-fighting OR the introduction of human Christianity and parallels to their own religions serve as a catalyst for healing their civilization. I don't know - its not fleshed out. . . But I think something like this gives you an opportunity to make a some commentary about humanity that is more universal. The book could be grounded in a more simple message and meaning about God and what God wants of us.

Its not going to change my mind about God. . . . but I think its a more interesting book.

BAP Enthusiast
Duncan Idaho said:

Then that isn't a god worth worshiping. Getting creation so wrong that you have to send the vast vast majority of your creation to hell once is bad enough.

Being an all knowing being not bound by time that does it countless times on countless planets is either pretty pathetic or willfully sadistic. One is worthy of ridicule and one is worthy of disgust but neither is worthy of worship.

When you give sapient beings the option of free will that tends to happen. Basically the only space faring species are those who chose the wrong way in the garden of Eden. Those who chose correctly, never left the garden and we probably never discover those planets beyond seeing a perfect harmonious garden world.

Additionally, this is also what happens when Satan exists. Satan continuously uses temptation to get people to fall. I don't see why the rules would suddenly change just because another species is involved in another world.
BAP Enthusiast
kurt vonnegut said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I generally love the idea of a novel that tackles religion and science fiction in this manner. My input would be that the plot seems way too 'on the nose'. It sounds more like a Christian fantasy than an actual story. The theme is basically "Christianity is right, haha, told you so". I get the appeal of that - but I don't see what we learn about ourselves from this book.

Imagine the exact book you suggested, but make it about Hinduism. You might enjoy the story, but it isn't going to change your mind or really affect you. You'll ultimately decide that its a book from a Hindu author writing fiction proof of why Hinduism is correct.

I think a more interesting book could be written that still 'confirms' Christianity while offering a more interesting perspective and introspection.

Consider this: Humanity makes first contact with an alien species that is on the brink of their own self annihilation from millennia of religious conflict. After months of communicating and trading information with the alien species, we discover their predominant religion kinda closely matches Christianity. Why wouldn't God tailor each planet's Savior? Their religion can be close enough to draw lots of parallels, but different enough to allow room for skepticism.

The book could follow the months of communicating with the alien species following the religious and political fallout on each planet upon meeting and learning from the other aliens. The book would follow the alien civilization as the introduction of humans into their worldview propels them quicker and quicker toward self annihilations as different factions of aliens fight over how to react or interpret the newcomers. . . . . until ultimately either destroying themselves as a means to foreshadow humanity's destruction if it continues its in-fighting OR the introduction of human Christianity and parallels to their own religions serve as a catalyst for healing their civilization. I don't know - its not fleshed out. . . But I think something like this gives you an opportunity to make a some commentary about humanity that is more universal. The book could be grounded in a more simple message and meaning about God and what God wants of us.

Its not going to change my mind about God. . . . but I think its a more interesting book.

Given different biologies, different genetics, and different situations it's pretty obvious that each version of Christianity would not be identical. However, they would be just close enough that it would be too coincidental. The one common theme for each fallen species would be a savior in the religion whose name roughly translates to "son of god". I like your idea and you could have book one be this first contact. Subsequent books could deal with additional contacts and the slow realization of just what it means.

That's why I said this was a rough idea and would need more fleshing out. I've never seen someone handle Christianity and true space-faring science fiction with aliens in this manner.
Zobel
AG
There was a book or short story where a guy was traveling from planet to planet and always was just missing Christ's incarnation on that planet. Can't remember the name or find it now..
Rocag
AG
There's a decent sized market out there of Christians wanting to read Christian fiction that basically does say "Christianity is right, haha, told you so". So a book that does that might still be relatively successful. It certainly wouldn't be something I'd be interested in, but there's a lot of successful media out there I don't particularly care for.
AGC
AG
Rocag said:

There's a decent sized market out there of Christians wanting to read Christian fiction that basically does say "Christianity is right, haha, told you so". So a book that does that might still be relatively successful. It certainly wouldn't be something I'd be interested in, but there's a lot of successful media out there I don't particularly care for.

kurt vonnegut
AG
Rocag said:

True - Not every book needs to change your life. I just finished book 3 of a 4 book series called the Bobiverse Series. Completely goofy nonsense, but man, its a fun read.
Rocag
AG
Hey I recently had that series recommended to me. Haven't checked it out yet, but probably will eventually.
Dilettante
Dilettante
Write one. I like it.
Silian Rail
Sounds something like Canticle for Leibowitz but not 100%, also has shades of the first novel of C.S Lewis's space trilogy but is unique enough of an idea not to be a copy of either.

one MEEN Ag
AG
The Dune series takes a more cynical approach to religion as its completely co-opted for political power. The Bene Gesserit plant religions all around the world that allow for BG disciples to step onto the scene and enter as the messiah/chosen one/oracle/position of power.

If you're going to go down the road of 'nonbelievers are not saved' despair, I would recommend at least discussing the role of Jesus as the judge of all, how all are going to be resurrected, and the different ages of revelation.

Hell is a little more complicated than what our cultural understanding of Christianity makes it out to be.

https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/lordofspirits/the_resurrection_and_the_life

Also a good theme would be the removal of free will through this action.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.