Anniversary of 1st Council of Nicaea

1,534 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by whatthehey78
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sort of interesting.

Wouldn't it be magnificent to have a new ecumenical council near The Hagia Sophia?

Quote:

The council attempted but failed to establish a uniform date for Easter. It issued decrees on many other matters, including the proper method of consecrating bishops, a condemnation of lending money at interest by clerics, and a refusal to allow bishops, priests, and deacons to move from one church to another. It also confirmed the primacy of Alexandria and Jerusalem over other sees in their respective areas. Socrates Scholasticus, a 5th-century Byzantine historian, said that the council intended to make a canon enforcing celibacy of the clergy, but it failed to do so when some objected.
Church politics, at least as old as the church itself.
Win At Life
AG
Adopting pagan practices and alienating Jewish Believers.
Zobel
AG
What pagan practices? Be specific.
nortex97
AG
I assume that was a drive by snipe about Easter. No, they didn't debate the Easter bunny/eggs.
aggietony2010
AG
nortex97 said:

I assume that was a drive by snipe about Easter. No, they didn't debate the Easter bunny/eggs.

I like when people try to link Easter to pagan holidays. Let's me know I'm dealing with an intellectual lightweight.
Win At Life
AG
Zobel said:

Of course you have to deny, deny, deflect and deny the obvious, because it's seems too wrong to accept. I was surprised to once hear a Christian admit that Christianity (especially the Catholic Church) adopted local practices (many pagan) and changed their meaning to something Christian as part of growing the Church. I have to at least give them credit for being honest, but I'd personally have a hard time accepting that as no big deal.
BluHorseShu
AG
Win At Life said:

Zobel said:

Of course you have to deny, deny, deflect and deny the obvious, because it's seems too wrong to accept. I was surprised to once hear a Christian admit that Christianity (especially the Catholic Church) adopted local practices (many pagan) and changed their meaning to something Christian as part of growing the Church. I have to at least give them credit for being honest, but I'd personally have a hard time accepting that as no big deal.
I won't point out that your friend is an idiot, so I'll just say that they are completely wrong. I do t know why people assume the one person two Catholics they know are a wealth of accurate Church doctrine. Now, I could accept that pagans drank wine from bota bags, and later on Christians did too.
Zobel
AG
I didn't deny, deny, deflect, or deny. Seems like you're the one obfuscating here. If it's so obvious, at least you could come up with a single example, no?
nortex97
AG
Win At Life said:

Zobel said:

First, pagan practices were not debated at Nicaea, to my knowledge.

Second, it would be surprising if an expanding faith didn't incorporate the social practices/festivals of the people it was adopted by, to me, to at least some extent. Fall/Spring/winter equinoxes are perhaps a prime example of this; somewhat scientifically based after all, and joyous to the people who celebrate(d) them.

Not sure why 'giving them credit' for something that seems utterly logical and is well documented academically/historically would mystify you, or your overall line of reasoning, though again this particular adaptation/adoption happened at a much later time in Christianity. The earliest forms of Christianity, as it most rapidly was spreading in Europe anyway, was necessarily furtive/hidden in form and practice amidst the pagan cultures it resided in;

Quote:

The almost total absence from Christian paintings during the persecution period of the cross, except in the disguised form of the anchor, is notable. The cross, symbolizing Jesus's crucifixion, was not represented explicitly for several centuries, possibly because crucifixion was a punishment meted out to common criminals, but also because literary sources noted that it was a symbol recognized as specifically Christian, as the sign of the cross was made by Christians from the earliest days of the religion. (83)

House Church at Dura-Europos

The house church at Dura-Europos is the oldest known house church. One of the walls within the structure was inscribed with a date that was interpreted as 231. It was preserved when it was filled with earth to strengthen the city's fortifications against an attack by the Sassanians in 256 CE. Despite the larger atmosphere of persecution, the artifacts found in the house church provide evidence of localized Roman tolerance for a Christian presence. This location housed frescos of biblical scenes including a figure of Jesus healing the sick.

When Christianity emerged in the Late Antique world, Christian ceremony and worship were secretive. Before Christianity was legalized in the fourth century, Christians suffered intermittent periods of persecution at the hands of the Romans. Therefore, Christian worship was purposefully kept as inconspicuous as possible. Rather than building prominent new structures for express religious use, Christians in the Late Antique world took advantage of pre-existing, private structures houses.

There certainly weren't many Germanic/ostrogoth/visigoth pagan Christians at the time of the Council of Nicaea in 325. And none of this is a new topic/subject; MLK Jr. certainly understood much of the history pretty well.
Ag_of_08
AG
whatthehey78
AG
Were the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) not formally initiated or begun at the council of Nicaea? Please correct me if I am wrong?

Edit: spelling

ETA1 - If 325 CE was the date...that is much too early for the Jesuits...with was more like mid 1500's??????
ETA2 - Sorry. It was Council of Trent, not Nicaea.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.