Handling Neighbor Situation

3,223 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WaldoWings
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weird ask, RP related...I live on 2nd floor of a unit and downstairs neighbor bangs on my floor and his walls anytime I'm laying in bed, including while I'm asleep (waking me up). I've been ignoring it/scared to speak with an aggressive person like that but recently I realized I may legitimately (in both senses) be causing the issue. I have to lay in bed 6-12hrs a day to manage two neurological conditions. The medication I take raises my HR (within accepted ranges) and I am a bit tremor-y, but it's not directly visible. This causes very small vibrations in my bed, which I'm guessing pass through the floor to the downstairs unit. Based on the fact they're banging when I'm asleep, the tremors occur even then. Mechanically, what the hell can I do about that? The unit is already carpeted and my bed is on an area rug (dbl carpet).

Now for the R&P part. I'm partly at fault for not responding to the bangs earlier and want to talk to the resident, but it's such a weird thing to have to explain I don't see it going well with an aggressive person. Thoughts?

Update: concerns were warranted. Not a stable person.
UTExan
Would it be possible to put dampers of some sort under the legs of the bed? I am thinking of plastic or rubberized flats to dampen and distribute the vibration like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SlipToGrip-Bed-Furniture-Stopper-Black/dp/B085B6B4WR/ref=asc_df_B085B6B4WR/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416747104217&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14129965929022450998&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029758&hvtargid=pla-897968851091&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=97957278950&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416747104217&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14129965929022450998&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029758&hvtargid=pla-897968851091

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
AGC
AG
I've seen this episode of Curb your Enthusiasm many times. Michael Bloomberg will be along to kick him out of New York soon.
BrazosDog02
AG
I can't see any world in which you're tremors, described as "a bit tremory" go through your mattress, into a box spring loosely mated to a bed frame, through the legs and carpet and carpet pad and then resonate in any audible or mechanical fashion in which a human could hear 4' away. I was a geophysicist for 15 years, I know a little bit about sound waves and how they propagate.

I'm kind of wondering if your issue and his issue are not the same as you suspect. Either way, I don't see that you have a lot of choice here. I can't imagine what kind of epic ******* exists that is anything other "frustrated but understanding"after learning of your situation. That said, I'm in sales, and I have met some people that I can't believe havnt been beaten to death early in their lives for their abrasive personalities, so I think your concerns are well founded.

Do you have a friend or two that are, ahem…cornfed…that could accompany you to discuss? I don't want to put anyone in a a bad spot but I think this is a tenant to tenant conversation.

It's a tough one for sure.

Is there any way to move the bed near a wall or support structure? It would minimize the lower frequency noise that the guy below you hears.
americathegreat1492
Thanks I'll see. If he had called management about it would management not talk to me at all? Like say they told him to knock on my door or see if it improves and if it doesnt to call them back, all without contacting me. I think I just heard lie to his wife that he had just "knocked" on my door. Nope. Did not happen.
Beer Baron
AG
I still don't get the R&P angle?
americathegreat1492
The questions could be considered questions of ethics or practical reasoning:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/practical-reason/
Dilettante
There's a lot of speculation going on here. What is the worst case scenario from going downstairs and asking him/her about it in a tactful way?
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
The dude is probably a nut.
Ulrich
Beer Baron said:

I still don't get the R&P angle?

I see a straight line between the sensibility question posited by the British empiricists and this exact issue. If a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one to to hear it, does it make a sound? Does the presence of a conscious observer create the universe? If a syndrome causes a tremor and there's not a neurotic busybody downstairs, did the low frequency sound waves propagate through the floor? What is sound? Was the neighbor lgbtq+ so we can really get this thread going? Have I had one too many shots?

The questions are endless!
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Wtf is going on here
WaldoWings
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Wtf is going on here

no kidding!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.