Stoicism - Ryan Holiday's books

999 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Patriarch
TikkaShooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This has been the bulk of my reading so far this year.

Daily Stoic
Obstable is the Way
Stillness
etc

Anyone else follow him and read his stuff? Thoughts on how its helped you?

Seems he's built a nice little book/pod/e-mail empire around this.
Sapper Redux
I'm not familiar at all with him. Is this a Silicon Valley Stoicism or something Seneca would recognize?
TikkaShooter
Straight from Seneca. Check it out...
Sapper Redux
TikkaShooter said:

Sorry if the question came across as rude, but some of the modern stoicism reminds me of California Buddhism. All the "cool stuff," none of the extremely difficult or self-deprecating aspects.
Serotonin
AG
Sapper Redux said:

TikkaShooter said:

Sorry if the question came across as rude, but some of the modern stoicism reminds me of California Buddhism. All the "cool stuff," none of the extremely difficult or self-deprecating aspects.
You mean like mindfulness for the busy CFO so that she can better continue the pursuit of status and money?

I've listed to The Obstacle and Stillness and they are both solid, although sometimes the stories are a little 2-dimensional, and it was a mental obstacle for me once I realized the author was in his mid-20s.
Deputy Travis Junior
If you think his age is a problem (though FWIW he's actually in his mid 30s) wait until you find out that he used to work for Tucker Max.
Serotonin
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

If you think his age is a problem (though FWIW he's actually in his mid 30s) wait until you find out that he used to work for Tucker Max.
Yeah, to clarify, I meant that Obstacle was published when he was 26, so presumably he was writing the book at age ~24-26.

So when he gives advice like
Quote:

"We forget: In life, it doesn't matter what happens to you or where you came from. It matters what you do with what happens and what you've been given."

I have to remember that it's probably good advice even though most 25 year-olds have no basis for making such a statement.

Haha, I forgot about the Tucker Max connection. Eeesh.
Patriarch
AG
I'm a fan. He's done a good job repackaging historic stoicism, making it relevant to modern times, and marketing his materials. He has a nice little bookstore in Bastrop and lives outside of town. Politically he is left of just about everyone east of Austin, however.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.